Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If the Knights do indeed get Martinez (which is looking likely), i just hope he helps us out on the defensive side. He is currently 32 years old.

It would also give me a checkmark on the Knights to do list for this year. One was trying to get defensive help and another is getting a better backup.

Although i would have rather get the defensive help from free agency and not waste any assets.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Although him being sent down along with Glass could be indicative of a trade coming,

Cap savings. Down to 2+6+12 on NHL roster.

Also, if the guys are in AHL at noon PT trade deadline day, they are eligible to play in AHL playoffs. So, injuries or healthy scratch notwithstanding, I don't expect them to be recalled until Monday afternoon.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
They wouldn't need waivers to dump Merrill anyways. They could get a 7th for him if they want to. MDZ got the Ducks a pick last deadline from the Blues and they're similar level players. Teams are always looking for depth this time of year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think if it's a few 2nds and possibly a low end prospect then we can be better off not giving up big assets. But it's five of six defenders LHD.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm not so sure the Kings are retaining on him. They already used one retention on Toffeefee, and they might be considering moving Carter with retention.

That would make this deal quite Meh if he's a full 4m cap hit next year.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
I’m not very familiar with Martinez. Could someone shed some light if this is who we get? He sounds to me like just another bottom pairing defenseman that won’t really help at all.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not so sure the Kings are retaining on him. They already used one retention on Toffeefee, and they might be considering moving Carter with retention.

Ah, yes. Toffeefee. What a player.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I’m not very familiar with Martinez. Could someone shed some light if this is who we get? He sounds to me like just another bottom pairing defenseman that won’t really help at all.
Defensive minded dman playing >21 minutes on the Kings. Has solid advanced stats for them while starting more in the dzone and is a good PKer. Big upgrade on Merrill.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think I'd guess a 2nd this season, NJ 2nd next season and possibly Merrill and a prospect that hopefully doesn't hurt.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

If they don't retain we pretty much must do something nobody wants: trade fan favorite Eakin.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hopefully Nabber got along with him in LA.

If they don't retain we pretty much must do something nobody wants: trade fan favorite Eakin.

Yeah but that won't help next season. I mean, obviously Eakin will be re-signed but they need that cap for free agency.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Martinez would only need around 975k this season, if we trade Merrill to them, he is due 343k this season so we would only need about 632k in cap space for the remainder of the season and I think we should be around that.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Martinez would only need around 975k this season, if we trade Merrill to them, he is due 343k this season so we would only need about 632k in cap space for the remainder of the season and I think we should be around that.
It works, but after that we have 11F6D.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Hopefully Nabber got along with him in LA.

Yeah but that won't help next season. I mean, obviously Eakin will be re-signed but they need that cap for free agency.

They should be fine next season. With the following roster we'll have about 10m in space, not accounting for the cap rising a bit.

67-71-61
81-26-19
__-9-89
__-10-__

3-88
Martinez-Theo
14-2

__

Stephenson and Carrier being the only guys that should get decent raises.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They should be fine next season. With the following roster we'll have about 10m in space, not accounting for the cap rising a bit.

67-71-61
81-26-19
__-9-89
__-10-__

3-88
Martinez-Theo
14-2

__

Stephenson and Carrier being the only guys that should get decent raises.

They can do better than that though if Krug and Pietrangelo make it to July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad