Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Next year looks promising when Engellend, Holden & Merrill are all gone. Hopefully it sets up as

27/Martinez
88/3
14/2

Sign someone other than the 3 departed for depth.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
To be honest, I haven't been able to watch many games closely the past few weeks. It's hard to erase the image of Holden constantly out of position from my brain.

Exactly, people make up their minds on things and its very difficult to change them. Holden has been doing quite well, the role is perfect for him as he struggles when asked to contribute much offensively. He can be good as an occasional poacher as he did against the Caps where he had a step on a defender and got to the net first for the tip in. But he doesn't have a bomb for a shot so putting Martinez in the third pair and having him be on the 2nd unit PP when they use 2D makes a lot of sense. If Martinez being away from young kids or Doughty still has the puck mover in him then its a good balance for them as all three pairings will have a dependable puck handler backed up by a more defensively responsible mate.

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Saying Martinez is average is unfair. He's a very solid defensive talent that immediately addresses a big problem with our defense. Maybe doesn't solve it entirely but it's certainly an upgrade over our bottom 3 defenders.

I'd agree that two second round picks is too much. Martinez was worth one.

His advanced stats were quite below average, so I think average is fair. If he is definitively better than our bottom 3 then that's worth it. We shall see.

Reactions: willy702

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
His advanced stats were quite below average, so I think average is fair. If he is definitively better than our bottom 3 then that's worth it. We shall see.

I think he could be another Holden but Holden has been solid this season so I would be okay with that. I'm a bit worried that the Kings played better with him off the ice than with him on it but hopefully that was matchups.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If our GMs were smart, they should make a few more moves that include clearing out guys we really don't need. Get whatever assets you can, marginal prospects, guys stuck in AHL, deep draft picks...whatever it can get. Teams get into this dumb habit of overinsuring themselves with veterans in case a plague of injuries hit. If we get a bad injury run in the playoffs we'll lose anyways, no use trying to insure against it. Guys like Eakin and Merrill can be replaced and it can be seen as a good move for them to get to go to teams who need them and can showcase them for their next contracts. Win win.

I remember many years ago Doug Wilson made some moves like this with a playoff team (traded away Clowe and Murray) and in the long run it was a good move, shipping off guys in the lineup for whom there was a close enough replacement and it allowed the team to get younger and faster. A blogger said the Sharks would do an exercise where they approach the TDL as if they were out of the race and asked themselves what guys would I be fine with trading off right now. Pending UFAs, guys taking up a spot you could use for a young talent or an offseason signing, and just generally guys who didn't fit your system well. You couldn't fire sale the team, but there would always be 1-3 guys you probably should trade at almost any price as long as you didn't have to give up extra assets to be free of contracts. Some years that's exactly what Wilson did and it makes for a stronger organization over time as he managed to keep the Sharks window of opportunity open for over 15 years.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If our GMs were smart, they should make a few more moves that include clearing out guys we really don't need. Get whatever assets you can, marginal prospects, guys stuck in AHL, deep draft picks...whatever it can get. Teams get into this dumb habit of overinsuring themselves with veterans in case a plague of injuries hit. If we get a bad injury run in the playoffs we'll lose anyways, no use trying to insure against it. Guys like Eakin and Merrill can be replaced and it can be seen as a good move for them to get to go to teams who need them and can showcase them for their next contracts. Win win.

I remember many years ago Doug Wilson made some moves like this with a playoff team (traded away Clowe and Murray) and in the long run it was a good move, shipping off guys in the lineup for whom there was a close enough replacement and it allowed the team to get younger and faster. A blogger said the Sharks would do an exercise where they approach the TDL as if they were out of the race and asked themselves what guys would I be fine with trading off right now. Pending UFAs, guys taking up a spot you could use for a young talent or an offseason signing, and just generally guys who didn't fit your system well. You couldn't fire sale the team, but there would always be 1-3 guys you probably should trade at almost any price as long as you didn't have to give up extra assets to be free of contracts. Some years that's exactly what Wilson did and it makes for a stronger organization over time as he managed to keep the Sharks window of opportunity open for over 15 years.

And they have zero cups and a bunch of overpaid Dmen to show for it.

Reactions: HanSolo

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I think he could be another Holden but Holden has been solid this season so I would be okay with that. I'm a bit worried that the Kings played better with him off the ice than with him on it but hopefully that was matchups.
Or it could be Doughty! As much as we here in Vegas might think bad thoughts about the man and his verbal diarrhea, he is a dang good defenseman and since he wasn't playing with Martinez, he would be on the ice for most of the non-Martinez minutes.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
There's one player who has dragged down his advanced stats: Jeff Carter. Sharing the ice with him has taken a toll on his advanced stats.

Martinez with Kopitar also has better advanced stats than Doughty with Kopitar BUT Doughty played with him ~10% more. When neither played with Kopitar they struggle, Martinez actually is slightly better off than Doughty is.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There's one player who has dragged down his advanced stats: Jeff Carter. Sharing the ice with him has taken a toll on his advanced stats.

Martinez with Kopitar also has better advanced stats than Doughty with Kopitar BUT Doughty played with him ~10% more. When neither played with Kopitar they struggle, Martinez actually is slightly better off than Doughty is.

Well I'm putting the blame on the curious case of Benjamin Hutton, who was so bad last year Vancouver wouldn't re-sign him as an RFA nor could they trade him, so he became a free agent.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well I'm putting the blame on the curious case of Benjamin Hutton, who was so bad last year Vancouver wouldn't re-sign him as an RFA nor could they trade him, so he became a free agent.
Their advanced stats together in 1/7th of his ice time were good.

Actually, the d-partner who he had worst advanced stats with is Doughty! His advanced stats without him are good! Same goes for Doughty(albeit his advanced stats are worse than Martinez' when they were split, but still good).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad