Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They should be fine next season. With the following roster we'll have about 10m in space, not accounting for the cap rising a bit.

67-71-61
81-26-19
__-9-89
__-10-__

3-88
Martinez-Theo
14-2

__

Stephenson and Carrier being the only guys that should get decent raises.

I think we would also have enough for a backup goalie upgrade.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
They can do better than that though if Krug and Pietrangelo make it to July 1st.

If Petro makes it to free agency I don't think they would have a hard time clearing cap for him, but I don't think there is a chance in hell St. Louis doesn't get something done. I don't want any part of Krug for what he'll be getting though.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Have to think it's McNabb, then sign a veteran for minimum to be 7d.

Probably would have to move Stastny as well to clear cap.

I think it's too much money to have tied up. Glass and Hague could probably get reasonable raises a few seasons later but we still need to make sure that money is there when they need them.

I think they could maybe afford to sign a bigger deal to a forward because we have more options of moving them in a season or so and possible rookies ready to step in but on defense, they aren't moving Theodore or Schmidt and if Hague is due a raise and Krug has a big contract then that could be too much money tied up in the defense that we wouldn't want to move at that point.

Especially if we would want Whitecloud/Coghlan and they would be due a contract.

I would try to put the faith in Theodore and Schmidt as 1/2 and Hague growing to a 3 and Martinez, Whitecloud, McNabb, Bischoff and Coghlan filling the lineup that has good depth and with Theodore and Schmidt nice top end. Still would prefer another RHD though.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I’m on board with giving up 2 seconds. This is better than the more questionable names out there. That’s a lot of picks/prospects this team has lost in trades the last couple of years though. But having him an extra year is huge.

Trading Whitecloud would be really stupid. One of the most appealing things about this trade is Martinez gets to help this team out next year too. Whitecloud will have a lot more NHL experience by next season (especially the 2nd half and playoffs) and should be improved by then. If we trade him we’re going to be kicking ourselves in a year or two, or even this year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll be furious if this team trades Whitecloud while still regularly playing guys like Merrill and Engelland.

Also two second round picks for Martinez is dumb.

Reactions: Knightmare

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well Friedman apparently said that Martinez to Vegas is a done deal and it will be officially done tomorrow.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Glad these takes are probably wrong. Kings fans?

They should wait....
With the number of dmen suddenly off the list today... the market just got a bit more spicy for Martinez...

Totally agree. And Martinez isn’t just a rental. He’s got a second year at a fair cap hit. Blake should hold out for the most he can get, by making a bidding war.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'll be furious if this team trades Whitecloud while still regularly playing guys like Merrill and Engelland.

I dont think it's dumb. At TDL, you have to pay what it takes. Vegas has 5 seconds over the next two years. Well, 3 if this trade happens as reported.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nabby Schmiddy
Holdy Teddy
Merry Marty
Engy

Seems like the full 4m for Martinez? I'm starting to think they really will move out Eakin.

Look at the bright side: they haven't traded Tuch.

Yet.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
On another subject, what pisses me off about this division is that it is too f***ing tight. Couple of wins could place you 1st in the division. Couple of loses could place you in the last wildcard spot.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I’m more annoyed that we haven’t taken over the division. 70 points puts a team 3rd, 4th and 6th in the other divisions. But in this division it’s good enough for a tie for 1st.

A year ago after playing the same number of games as our team has played this year (61 games), Calgary had 83 points and San Jose had 80.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nabby Schmiddy
Holdy Teddy
Merry Marty
Engy

Seems like the full 4m for Martinez? I'm starting to think they really will move out Eakin.

Look at the bright side: they haven't traded Tuch.

Yet.

A Kings person tweeted, according to the main board thread, they think it's the picks and Korczak. I think I would be furious. Martinez is barely worth the picks but I wouldn't be upset if it's the pick only or even a prospect in Cotter or something.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
A Kings person tweeted, according to the main board thread, they think it's the picks and Korczak. I think I would be furious. Martinez is barely worth the picks but I wouldn't be upset if it's the pick only or even a prospect in Cotter or something.

Hopefully wishful thinking on his part.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Well Friedman apparently said that Martinez to Vegas is a done deal and it will be officially done tomorrow.

Martinez not playing tonight in Kings v Jets. So, I guess he's on his way to Las Vegas.

Possibly a desperation move, however. Martinez was an important part of the Kings 2014 Cup, but that was a long time ago.

Alec Martinez Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Alec Martinez

Alec Martinez
Defense
Born Jul 26 1987 -- Rochester Hills, MI
Height 6.01 -- Weight 209 -- Shoots L
Selected by Los Angeles Kings round 4 #95 overall 2007 NHL Entry Draft

-

GGFofferCERT.gif

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Kings fan here in peace.

We laugh at "The Mayor". I would be shocked if Korczak were included. The mayor is good at injury information, but I don't think that he has ever been right about a trade

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
We'll be disappointed if he's forced to play top 4 D. Declining advanced stats mean he might be an overpay next year. He was a pretty good player, but that seems to have ended about 2 years ago. This year he might be marginally better than the young guys I think we were hopeful could take the big step up. The fact that Whitecloud has proven to be our best young option has to be disappointing in the bigger picture. To me Martinez needs to be in the Engo role next year for the team to truly be better.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
To go along with all the cap and possible wrinkles to a trade, as stupid as it sounds, A Knight to Remember Gala may be a small reason why this doesn't happen until tomorrow. Foley seems like a guy who will want a guy to get one last Golden night in. Lol.

Plus it is much easier to fly from LA to Vegas vs. from Winnipeg.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
We'll be disappointed if he's forced to play top 4 D. Declining advanced stats mean he might be an overpay next year. He was a pretty good player, but that seems to have ended about 2 years ago. This year he might be marginally better than the young guys I think we were hopeful could take the big step up. The fact that Whitecloud has proven to be our best young option has to be disappointing in the bigger picture. To me Martinez needs to be in the Engo role next year for the team to truly be better.

He hasn’t had much to play for the past couple of seasons. He isn’t in a contract year, the Kings are clearly rebuilding and by the time they start being a playoff team how old is Martinez going to be?

I’m hopeful that going from a rebuilding team to a first place team (lol at our division though) will give him some extra motivation.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He hasn’t had much to play for the past couple of seasons. He isn’t in a contract year, the Kings are clearly rebuilding and by the time they start being a playoff team how old is Martinez going to be?

I’m hopeful that going from a rebuilding team to a first place team (lol at our division though) will give him some extra motivation.

Yeah some people are acting like they picked up Greene or Hainsey. If he were a proper #2 they would have had to pay a 1st and then some.

Holden is fine on the 2nd pairing for now, but Martinez will be a huge upgrade to the top 4.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Martinez knows he can be traded by Kings with deadline approaching

"He's a very good shot-blocker," Kings defenseman Drew Doughty said. "Good skater, gets his shots through from the point. A good little [wrist shot] on him. He can hammer one-timers, too, actually. Good defensively. The game's kind of going a different direction [with] offensive D-men, so [Alec's] a good two-way defenseman that's going to make any team better. He's a professional as well, and a good person."
(coming from Doughty so take it with a grain of salt ;) )

Plus Kenny thinks he's probably not even worth one 2nd let alone 2, so it's probably a good deal for Vegas. He thought Tuch had the same value as Galchenyuk last week :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad