Confirmed with Link: Vesey to EDM for 7th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like it

If we can trade in a player like Vesey with no future here for a lottery ticket (even if it's a long shot of working out) I'm more than happy

Asset management is always a good idea no matter how small it is

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
It’s great to see Dubas attempting to recoup assets for players we aren’t likely to sign. My guess is we get the pick if the Oilers sign him to a contract. Not torn up about losing Vesey as I don’t see him developing into anything of significance. Will be lucky to get a sniff at the NHL level.

EDIT: It appears Edmonton has announced they've signed him to a 2-year ELC. Maybe the condition is if he plays x number of NHL games. Lol Oilers. I figured he would get an AHL contract.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Maybe there's a different condition on the trade?

Maybe an NHL GP thing?

I don't know... it's weird trade, because Vesey doesn't appear to have much of an NHL future ahead of him.

But then... this is Chiarelli we are talking about...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think you’re right - probably a different condition like play 1 NHL game before 2020 or something.
The condition was that he had to sign with the Oilers which he already just did.

It was just like when the Leafs traded a conditional pick to the Panthers for Zach Hyman and he signed with us right away.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
First move for Dubas and I love it. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with him and not an anomaly. I have been waiting for the day that a new age GM comes in and realises the value of assets in vs assets out. We weren't going to sign Vesey with our log jam in the AHL and ECHL and so we turned a potential lost asset into a brand new future asset that we will have control over for the next 2-4 seasons. Once we hand out our big boy contracts, these are the types of moves that will either help harvest a self-sustained top tier team or a top heavy franchise with poor depth.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think you’re right - probably a different condition like play 1 NHL game before 2020 or something.

Frankly I think people here are right, that with him signing an ELC that was the condition of the trade.
Getting a pick for a player that was not in our future plans going forward, is a Bonus ....Kudos to Dubas on his first trade.

Reactions: Elephanto

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Frankly I think people here are right, that with him signing an ELC that was the condition of the trade.
Getting a pick for a player that was not in our future plans going forward, is a Bonus ....Kudos to Dubas on his first trade.
Agreed.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
The condition was that he had to sign with the Oilers which he already just did.

It was just like when the Leafs traded a conditional pick to the Panthers for Zach Hyman and he signed with us right away.

The Oilers tweet on page one specifies it's conditional in the same message as an ELC has been signed.

Makes me think the condition is something different.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice. Free, unexpected 7th round pick in 2020. Now we have two in the next 3 drafts.

Vesey was a 6th round pick, but I'll take dropping a round to convince his father to be a scout and having a better shot at signing his brother.

EDIT: Actually 1 in 2019, 3 in 2020.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Oilers tweet on page one specifies it's conditional in the same message as an ELC has been signed.

Makes me think the condition is something different.
I would be very surprised if the condition was something else other than having him signing with the Oilers.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Sure is! Waste a 6th round pick on a player that you then trade for a 7th round pick! Great asset management indeed!

Dubas turning Nonis' crappy prospect into his own pick seems like great asset management.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sure is! Waste a 6th round pick on a player that you then trade for a 7th round pick! Great asset management indeed!
To be fair, it was only a "wasted"pick four years after the fact. Most draft picks don't turn out for everything team. The Leafs had decided not to sign him, or possibly he decided not to sign with the Leafs. They got something for him in exchange for 20 days of exclusive rights to sign him. For a 7th rounder. How could you spin it as a bad move?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
To be fair, it was only a "wasted"pick four years after the fact. Most draft picks don't turn out for everything team. The Leafs had decided not to sign him, or possibly he decided not to sign with the Leafs. They got something for him in exchange for 20 days of exclusive rights to sign him. For a 7th rounder. How could you spin it as a bad move?

It's actually over 2 months worth. NCAA UFA's do not re-enter the draft and expire on August 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad