Confirmed with Link: Vesey to EDM for 7th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Im pretty damn sure if Dubas were the gm earlier he would have traded jvr and bozak. I think failing to trade both of them, along being eliminated in the first round, is why Lou was let go

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I wonder what the responses would have been if Dubas just decided to let his rights go without trading Vesey and him becoming a UFA.
I really don’t expect to get anything for prospects we no longer see upside in like Middleton, Piccinich and Mattinen recently, as loads of drafted players rights expire every year with no return for teams.

However just being able to get anything for a player we weren’t going to sign anyway and clearly didn’t see upside in is always a positive.

It’s laughable seeing posters criticize others for complimenting the trade, yeah it’s not groundbreaking, but it’s still a slick move from Dubas and it’s pretty much impossible to see it as a negative unless you saw NHL upside in Vesey.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I really don’t expect to get anything for prospects we no longer see upside in like Middleton, Piccinich and Mattinen recently, as loads of drafted players rights expire every year with no return for teams.

However just being able to get anything for a player we weren’t going to sign anyway and clearly didn’t see upside in is always a positive.

It’s laughable seeing posters criticize others for complimenting the trade, yeah it’s not groundbreaking, but it’s still a slick move from Dubas and it’s pretty much impossible to see it as a negative unless you saw NHL upside in Vesey.
It was more of an observation because some people freak out that the Leafs didn't trade JVR or Bozak prior to the deadline. You can debate that they should have done that, so it's more of would those same people complain about the possibility of losing Vesey's rights for nothing?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Gotta love Leafs Nation, 4 pages of comments for someone like Nolan Vesey, who could not even crack the Marlies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It gives us a pick we previously didn’t have for an asset that we were about to lose for nothing.

No matter how small the return it’s better to have the 7th rounder than losing Vesey’s rights with no return.

Obvious statement is obvious. But the correct response to this transaction is who cares? Not "great asset management". As though it takes skill to get the lowest value return that is possible in a trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Dubas is like me, he has to get something back for next to everything we don't really need or want. I know in hockey some assets will just walk but this is a positive sign for sure.

Reactions: Mork

Growler

May 16, 2018
I wonder what the responses would have been if Dubas just decided to let his rights go without trading Vesey and him becoming a UFA.
I don't think there would have been any responses because that is what SHOULD have happened. Instead, Dubas pantsed Chiarelli to actually give away a pick for nothing. Last year, the Leafs walked away from Toninato and got nothing. That's what so funny about this trade. Toninato is better than Vesey lol - and he's not much, believe me. The year before the Leafs walked away from Cammeranesi; no one offered so he got a Marlie deal. I don't think Vesey would have even got a Marlie deal.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Im pretty damn sure if Dubas were the gm earlier he would have traded jvr and bozak. I think failing to trade both of them, along being eliminated in the first round, is why Lou was let go
I don't agree. The Leafs had a shot to go deep this year. You don't give away assets for futures when you have a shot when you are trying to establish a long term winning culture.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think there would have been any responses because that is what SHOULD have happened. Instead, Dubas pantsed Chiarelli to actually give away a pick for nothing. Last year, the Leafs walked away from Toninato and got nothing. That's what so funny about this trade. Toninato is better than Vesey lol - and he's not much, believe me. The year before the Leafs walked away from Cammeranesi; no one offered so he got a Marlie deal. I don't think Vesey would have even got a Marlie deal.
Chiarelli does have a history of making bad trades. Now I wouldn't put this into the same category of him trading Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin, but as you said if they wanted Vesey they could have signed him as a UFA since the Leafs didn't want to sign him.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
When we get a pick, it’s a great thing.

When we give up one, it’s no big deal.

Is that how we are supposed to do it?
The usefulness of the pieces acquired/traded to our organization doesn't come into play here at all? Do you really view all trades involving draft picks exactly the same, without any regard for the value of the players being exchanged?

The Boyle/Plekanec trades were (and are still) debated and critiqued heavily because the cost was high, but the potential was also there for that cost to pay off in some way. Boyle solidified a 4th line that provided the depth needed to make the Playoffs, and Plekanec stepped up in a big way when Kadri got suspended against Boston and deserves a lot of credit for us making it to game 7 - How much value anyone chooses to put in those things is up to them.

If Vesey was going to wake up on August 16th as a free agent, having provided nothing to our professional organization in any fashion, then getting literally anything for him is unequivocally a good move. What's wrong with people acknowledging that?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's pretty much a nothing trade but it's nice to at least get a small something from nothing.

Reactions: Mork

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Does anyone actually expect the condition to be met? It might literally be a nothing trade.

Maybe Dubas is just trying to get Petey on his good side lol.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Waste of a pick drafting him

It was more of an investment in trying to get his brother. Already had his father, who may be able to help us get the inside track on some good Massachusetts talent this year (Kesselring, Harris, O'Brien, etc.), and if a 6th round pick helped us land his brother, then at least it is not entirely like some of the picks Hunter wasted trying to get guys he knew.

Reactions: Anthrax442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad