Confirmed with Link: Vesey to EDM for 7th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Does anyone actually expect the condition to be met? It might literally be a nothing trade.

Maybe Dubas is just trying to get Petey on his good side lol.

The condition has already been met. It was that he signs with the Oil which he did shortly after the trade.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

If you trust MikeinBuffalo I guess.

That seems like pure speculation on his part.

I suspect we will end up with nothing out of this trade, which makes sense, we weren't giving him an ELC. In fact, I doubt we would have even offered him an AHL deal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That seems like pure speculation on his part.

I suspect we will end up with nothing out of this trade, which makes sense, we weren't giving him an ELC. In fact, I doubt we would have even offered him an AHL deal.

Yeah I just re-read it a moment before you post and realized I missed the word likely, and edited. Thought it was odd that MikeinBuffalo was the only one who had that scoop.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Yeah MikeInB's sounded just like speculation to me. Guess we wait and see to see if we acquired a pick or were just dumping a contract.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah MikeInB's sounded just like speculation to me. Guess we wait and see to see if we acquired a pick or were just dumping a contract.

It wasn't a contract dump.

Vesey wasn't under contract and wasn't about to get one.

I'm blown away that any team gave him an ELC. He is a PTO guy.

Reactions: Mork

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Is it known that the Oilers didn't approach Dubas about this?
To me that seems more likely.
To me, the likeliest scenario involves both sides exploring multiple possibilities and this one was a quick and easy one that they discovered while in talks. I can't see either side making an approach based solely on this deal.

Growler

May 16, 2018
So we trade for a 7th round pick after 2 years? Might as well just let him walk.
The Leafs have signed more AHL contracts the last 3 years (48) by a significant margin vs. any other franchise. They might have offered Vesey AHL contract at best. He would have been destined for the Growlers next year. He is an AHL player at best. This trade illustrates:
1. the Edmonton prospect pool is far, far shallower than Toronto's.
2. so much so they are very reckless with their 50 man limit as evidence by the recent signings there. They have started piling up a bunch of AHL contracts too for Bakersfield, but those players are not really prospects any more 25+
3. Edmonton over-values marginal talent and undervalues its own draft process
4. Toronto has invested very heavily into its farm system, and because of that investment it is able to parlay a player like Vesey into future value, and
5. Toronto obviously values its development farm system because it is accumulating late round draft picks with the intention of finding raw talent that its development system can polish 4,5,6 years from now.

"Letting him walk" is short-sighted. Thank God this Management is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBeL34f and Pookie

Growler

May 16, 2018
Let’s be factual.

Giving up a pick for something that is only useful for a short period of time.

2 second round picks for 5 playoff wins in 2 years. And the assets we got walked (or will walk).
Yea, I really hope we stop seeing those trade deadline deals going forward. They are always an over-payment, and a Dubas-type of "inefficiency."

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Leafs did not receive this pick.

The conditions was based on Vesey playing a certain number of NHL games before his deal expired and he failed to reach that threshold. Seems like an odd trade considering that was either not going to happen, or a 7th round pick was not enough in return.

Reactions: Magic Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad