Very simply: Korpisalo or Merzlikins?

Korpi or Elvis

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Korpi doesn't demand a trade and is fine with being a backup this season and beyond, perhaps it is best to keep him and try to move Tarasov. His sv% is over .92 after two games but it's very unlikely he is going to maintain those kind of numbers playing in front of this team. Sell those who still have any value....? Seriously, I will be pissed if the return for Korpi will be less than a 2nd round pick.

Irrespective of what you think is an acceptable return for Korpi, do you think Korpi can be a good backup for us? That's really the question I have. I don't care about his trade return, it won't be much either way, I just want a good backup.

Tarasov's value is more long term, not what he does this year behind this defense. He'll be a cheap RFA for a long time and might develop into a Rinne-caliber huge goalie.

Tarasov's agent is J.P. Barry who works with Pat Brisson. It can be a problem in the future. But if Daniil shows his potential and he would want to stay here I prefer Korpi because I doubt Elvis would be happy to be a backup.

Elvis is a career .920 goalie (elite so far) who has never played more than 49 games in a regular season in his career, on either side of the big pond. He isn't going to be made into a backup and he also isn't going to suddenly need to play 65 games every year. We have room for two good goalies. If it comes to the (happy) point where Elvis and Tarasov both need to play 50 or 60+ games then we can cross that bridge when we get to it and trade one of them. And by then Korpi will be long gone. He probably won't be here past a few months, while Tarasov and Elvis should be a few years. I don't feel a need to debate Tarasov v Elvis at this point because we don't know Tarasov's level yet and that is in the quite distant future where we would have to decide between those two.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In two games where he was a surprise starter we have seen that Tarasov has good lateral movement but not the best puck control. Let’s see how many goals he gives up when other teams (A) know he is going to be the starter and (B) have actually scouted him and (C) enter the game with a plan for what they know about him.

My guess as to why we haven’t moved a goalie is that the offers weren’t that great. For any of them. Nedeljkovic was basically traded for a third. The goalie market is different.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Irrespective of what you think is an acceptable return for Korpi, do you think Korpi can be a good backup for us? That's really the question I have. I don't care about his trade return, it won't be much either way, I just want a good backup.

Tarasov's value is more long term, not what he does this year behind this defense. He'll be a cheap RFA for a long time and might develop into a Rinne-caliber huge goalie.

Elvis is a career .920 goalie (elite so far) who has never played more than 49 games in a regular season in his career, on either side of the big pond. He isn't going to be made into a backup and he also isn't going to suddenly need to play 65 games every year. We have room for two good goalies. If it comes to the (happy) point where Elvis and Tarasov both need to play 50 or 60+ games then we can cross that bridge when we get to it and trade one of them. And by then Korpi will be long gone. He probably won't be here past a few months, while Tarasov and Elvis should be a few years. I don't feel a need to debate Tarasov v Elvis at this point because we don't know Tarasov's level yet and that is in the quite distant future where we would have to decide between those two.
You`re right but I very like Korpi and I would want so that he stays here.

In two games where he was a surprise starter we have seen that Tarasov has good lateral movement but not the best puck control. Let’s see how many goals he gives up when other teams (A) know he is going to be the starter and (B) have actually scouted him and (C) enter the game with a plan for what they know about him.

My guess as to why we haven’t moved a goalie is that the offers weren’t that great. For any of them. Nedeljkovic was basically traded for a third. The goalie market is different.
I don't rate goalies well, so I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that Tarasov often tried to leave the puck in play so the defensemen could play it.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
In terms of having potential to be good enough at stopping pucks, yes. Another question is does he want to be more than just a backup, and if I had to guess, my answer would be yes. I don't believe that a frustrated goalie unable to fulfill his dreams makes a good backup or a teammate.

So yeah, I understand that right now it seems there are more good reasons to move Korpi instead of Tarasov than do the opposite.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

There are, what, generously 5-6 really good goalies and then probably 25-30 around the league who aren't that different and are just dependent on the team/scheme in front of them. And as for backups, there are seemingly always a half dozen or so vets who will sign near league-minimum contracts and give you ~.900 goaltending for ~30 starts in the regular season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2022-1-19_12-30-38.png

Among the 56 goalies with 10+ appearances this season, Korpisalo ranks t-last in save % and has the worst GAA. Anton Forsberg (.910 save % in 14 appearances for Ottawa) has a better save percentage than both Korpi and Elvis this season.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I would keep both. I think the challenge will be that neither Korpi nor Elvis will be happy as a backup. I think Elvis has a better upside AND the greater risk.

That's why NHL GMs and pro scouts get the big bucks.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Don’t look now but these goalie statistics are becoming awfully similar….

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
.905 is league-average for the season.

Since Thanksgiving, both have been sub-.890 though.

League average takes into count all backup goalie stats, all COVID callups of AHL journeymen/unready prospects.

Most teams have a starter that can do 915 at least.

890, 905, league average, doesn't matter, that's not good for a starting goalie.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Korpisalo’s numbers will only get better the more he plays. Anybody who really thinks he’s one of the worst goalies that plays in the NHL is either lacking hockey knowledge or biased in multiple ways.

The reactions to when the goalies have bad games is fascinating and frustrating. Merzlikins gets the “poor defense” excuse used for him much more often, IMO, and Korpisalo is trashed for letting in goals that Merzlikins also let’s in on a nightly basis.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Both have been trash for awhile (one way longer than the other) and Elvis is still .018% better and almost half a goal a game less.

I doubt Korpi gets moved for anything now, not even future considerations, a team would be better off going to a sporting goods store and getting one of those vinyl goalies you tape to the posts that leave the corners exposed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad