Very simply: Korpisalo or Merzlikins?

Korpi or Elvis

• Total voters

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm surprised this is much of a debate or tough call. One goalie has outplayed the other for two years in a row and the we won't get much in the goalie market regardless of who we sell.
I think there is some truth to that and with the number of UFA goalies out there I don't think the trade market will bring back anything great.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm surprised this is much of a debate or tough call. One goalie has outplayed the other for two years in a row and the we won't get much in the goalie market regardless of who we sell.

Which goalie was an all star and chosen as the playoff starter??

This idea that Merzlikins has outplayed Korpisalo for 2 years, like many other things, is a MYTH!!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Which goalie was an all star and chosen as the playoff starter??

This idea that Merzlikins has outplayed Korpisalo for 2 years, like many other things, is a MYTH!!

Even for you, this trolling is kind of pathetic.

You know the All-Star setup is weird, every team needs represented, a bunch of guys back out, etc. etc. Being named an All-Star in this current format isn't a sign of anything, other than Korpisalo played like a top 4-5 goalie in the Metro in November and December of 2019. Big deal.

If literally everyone else but you can recognize Elvis has outplayed Joonas the last two years...well, I don't think it's a case of everyone else "missing" something. You're welcome to be biased but it's become kind of a joke at this point.

EDIT - I'm going to add, at the time of finalizing the All Star rosters in 2020, Korpisalo ranked 7th in the Metro in save %, including behind Elvis Merzlikins.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Athletic had an article today in which they polled several former goalies about the two G's. There seemed to be a slight overall preference for Elvis but one guy did factor trade value into who to keep.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even for you, this trolling is kind of pathetic.

You know the All-Star setup is weird, every team needs represented, a bunch of guys back out, etc. etc. Being named an All-Star in this current format isn't a sign of anything, other than Korpisalo played like a top 4-5 goalie in the Metro in November and December of 2019. Big deal.

If literally everyone else but you can recognize Elvis has outplayed Joonas the last two years...well, I don't think it's a case of everyone else "missing" something. You're welcome to be biased but it's become kind of a joke at this point.
I think it's less bias for/against a certain player as it is for/against a certain play style. Korpisalo's style is a lot more conservative and controlled-looking than Elvis's, so I can see why someone might feel more confident about him. The error is in assuming that there's a direct correlation between stylistic appearance and goaltending effectiveness/results. Sometimes someone can look good but still perform worse.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it's less bias for/against a certain player as it is for/against a certain play style. Korpisalo's style is a lot more conservative and controlled-looking than Elvis's, so I can see why someone might feel more confident about him. The error is in assuming that there's a direct correlation between stylistic appearance and goaltending effectiveness/results. Sometimes someone can look good but still perform worse.

Not that I know any better when it comes to goalies but I would not have described Korpi and Elvis that way.

Korpi is both controlled and wonderfully acrobatic, he looks amazing, his downfall is the soft goal where he loses focus.

Elvis is only unorthodox within a narrow space. He fills the net and manages to stay that way, which to me exemplifies control. He spreads confidence because he excels at tracking pucks consistently and seeming to dominate the net.

Reactions: LJ7201

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Regardless of who goes, both are capable of being #1 goalies so even though I think Elvis is the better of the two, it's not a huge difference that I wouldn't trade either for the best return possible. Reality is they can no longer wait and keep both to get nothing in the end. If the market is slow to start, hold and trade early in season but I think you need to ride one harder which only hurts the value of the other.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't think there is any coincidence that Elvis has played his strongest stretches when Korpisalo was hurt. Possibly the same could be said when Korpisalo played long stretches. In fact I said the exact same thing about Korpisalo for years that he just needed to get his regular opportunity.

The issue really comes down to when Elvis is on his game, he's really ON his game. i.e this final stretch of the season and last year in January and February. Korpisalo has just been pretty good for those types of stretches. I think they both need to be the guy wherever either ends up. It just comes down to whoever gets voted off the island.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Regardless of who goes, both are capable of being #1 goalies so even though I think Elvis is the better of the two, it's not a huge difference that I wouldn't trade either for the best return possible. Reality is they can no longer wait and keep both to get nothing in the end. If the market is slow to start, hold and trade early in season but I think you need to ride one harder which only hurts the value of the other.
When has Korpi shown he’s capable of being a #1 goalie ? His lowest Gaa in a season is 2.60, and 3 out of 5 seasons his save % is below 90 .. Has he shown he can play well for short periods .. yep, but the wheels always fall off . Even in his good season with the AHL he was pulled in playoffs

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
When has Korpi shown he’s capable of being a #1 goalie ? His lowest Gaa in a season is 2.60, and 3 out of 5 seasons his save % is below 90 .. Has he shown he can play well for short periods .. yep, but the wheels always fall off . Even in his good season with the AHL he was pulled in playoffs
I don't know? Maybe the playoffs? Maybe two years ago prior to injury? He's capable and had shown it. He has the skill set. I prefer Elvis but both are capable #1's in my opinion.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not that I know any better when it comes to goalies but I would not have described Korpi and Elvis that way.

Korpi is both controlled and wonderfully acrobatic, he looks amazing, his downfall is the soft goal where he loses focus.

Elvis is only unorthodox within a narrow space. He fills the net and manages to stay that way, which to me exemplifies control. He spreads confidence because he excels at tracking pucks consistently and seeming to dominate the net.
Could be. I look at goalies kind of the same way I do defensemen (blame an early infatuation with Turco), so I could well be off w/r/t proper goaltending technique. ;)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don't know? Maybe the playoffs? Maybe two years ago prior to injury? He's capable and had shown it. He has the skill set. I prefer Elvis but both are capable #1's in my opinion.
Short periods yep.. problem is , it’s not SUSTAINABLE for him

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think there is any coincidence that Elvis has played his strongest stretches when Korpisalo was hurt. Possibly the same could be said when Korpisalo played long stretches. In fact I said the exact same thing about Korpisalo for years that he just needed to get his regular opportunity.

The issue really comes down to when Elvis is on his game, he's really ON his game. i.e this final stretch of the season and last year in January and February. Korpisalo has just been pretty good for those types of stretches. I think they both need to be the guy wherever either ends up. It just comes down to whoever gets voted off the island.

Elvis was hurt this year (twice if I remember?) and Korpisalo was terrible.

Outside of a stretch when Bobrovsky was injured in his rookie season and November-December 2019, Korpisalo has barely been league average and actually probably worse. You can't get into a lot of things with that - team play in front of him, namely. But the sample size keeps getting larger and .903 goalies are a dime a dozen every offseason now.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Short periods yep.. problem is , it’s not SUSTAINABLE for him
When I look at his career, I see the more he plays, the better his numbers are. Maybe he's not built to be a second fiddle, a 1B, an alternating starter? With consistent work he appears to play better. Again, I prefer Elvis, however, I think both have the skillset to be #1 NHL goaltenders. My opinion. I'm OK you disagree.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Seravalli: 15 Trade Targets as market heats up in December - Daily Faceoff

Seravalli: 15 Trade Targets as market heats up in December

1. Joonas Korpisalo
Goaltender, Columbus Blue Jackets
Contract: Pending UFA, $2.8 million AAV
Scoop: It’s the Elvis Merzlikins Show in Columbus, now and for the foreseeable future. Merzlikins has carried the Blue Jackets – and next year begins a fresh five-year, $27 million deal. Plus, the Blue Jackets have Daniil Tarasov eventually waiting in the wings. Korpisalo has not put in a formal trade request, but GM Jarmo Kekalainen is aware that Korpisalo would be open to an opportunity to play elsewhere. Teams have engaged with Columbus on Korpisalo as recently as the last couple weeks. He’s struggled these last two seasons – but made a believer of many with his play in the ‘bubble’ in 2019-20.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Neither tonight. Apparently both are sick (non-Covid) and won't play. Tarasov will make his debut....or we'll get the EBG!

Reactions: MissADD

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Neither tonight. Apparently both are sick (non-Covid) and won't play. Tarasov will make his debut....or we'll get the EBG!
Tarasov has been playing well his last few games. Don't know how good he will be if the defense in front of him plays as bad as it has the last couple games.

Reactions: LJ7201

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If Korpi doesn't demand a trade and is fine with being a backup this season and beyond, perhaps it is best to keep him and try to move Tarasov. His sv% is over .92 after two games but it's very unlikely he is going to maintain those kind of numbers playing in front of this team. Sell those who still have any value....? Seriously, I will be pissed if the return for Korpi will be less than a 2nd round pick.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Tarasov's agent is J.P. Barry who works with Pat Brisson. It can be a problem in the future. But if Daniil shows his potential and he would want to stay here I prefer Korpi because I doubt Elvis would be happy to be a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad