Very simply: Korpisalo or Merzlikins?

Korpi or Elvis

• Total voters

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think it’s time to bump this thread.

has anything changed in anyone’s mind? It seems like it’s time to make a decision. Both Korpi and Elvis have admitted they’d like an answer this offseason and both would like to be the guy here.

At the time of the bump the numbers are 37-22 for Elvis.

I think I know how the new voting will go. But I do have to ask this. If Elvis gets you a bigger package of picks/players, is the gap between he and Korpi big enough that you ignore that package and trade korpi for a way less return?

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would extend Elvis and ship out Korpi. At one point I was thinking we might sell whoever got the best return but now I'm thinking we actually need Elvis too much for that. It's too bad, I don't think Korpi will return much of anything, but it's time to move beyond the tandem.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If we are truly retooling in the short term like Jarmo claims, Elvis is the one you keep. If you go full blown rebuild, I sadly think Elvis is the one who gets traded because he has a bigger potential return.

When asked today if Korpisalo wanted to be here, he made mention of the fact that he has been 6 years. if he hasn't laid complete 100% claim to the job in that amount of time he needs a change of scenery.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
I would extend Elvis and ship out Korpi. At one point I was thinking we might sell whoever got the best return but now I'm thinking we actually need Elvis too much for that. It's too bad, I don't think Korpi will return much of anything, but it's time to move beyond the tandem.

I was just going to copy and paste this. Previously I was leaning towards Korpi because I thought he had a higher floor but I am an Elvis convert.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
What's funny to me is if you watch both players you'd assume Elvis has a high ceiling lower floor and vice versa for Korpi based on their styles. However after a year or two to me it's clear it's the opposite. Elvis is more consistent and just better. With how saturated the goalie market is I don't see a scenario where an Elvis trade yields enough to justify picking Korpisalo as the guy.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
This team is in desperate need of two things (among others of course). An Elvis level goalie, and an Elvis level personality. Korpi is neither of those, and frankly I don't care if he won't get much of a return in a trade. Elvis should absolutely be the guy.

Reactions: JKinCLE

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I voted Elvis, but neither is a top-50% goalie in this league.
I think Elvis could be, but Korpi will never be anything other than a high-end backup from what I have seen.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
This team is in desperate need of two things (among others of course). An Elvis level goalie, and an Elvis level personality. Korpi is neither of those, and frankly I don't care if he won't get much of a return in a trade. Elvis should absolutely be the guy.

Neither goalie is going to yield anything more than a salary dump/cut-your-losses type of a return.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's obviously Elvis, but Elvis only plays at a Vezina-level when he knows he doesn't have Korpisalo right behind him.

The 1a/1b tandem experiment didn't really pan out, mostly due to injuries to both guys. Is the staff/front office comfortable with a 50/32 game type of split with Elvis getting 50 and finding a cheaper (or more effective) backup option for him?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It's obviously Elvis, but Elvis only plays at a Vezina-level when he knows he doesn't have Korpisalo right behind him.

The 1a/1b tandem experiment didn't really pan out, mostly due to injuries to both guys. Is the staff/front office comfortable with a 50/32 game type of split with Elvis getting 50 and finding a cheaper (or more effective) backup option for him?
I hope they are comfortable with that. Actually I would be happier if it split 60/22. I want a clear cut starter in goal, no more split time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think I know how the new voting will go. But I do have to ask this. If Elvis gets you a bigger package of picks/players, is the gap between he and Korpi big enough that you ignore that package and trade korpi for a way less return?
I'd say yes, the gap at this point is big enough. At this point Korpisalo to me is the second coming of Jaroslav Halak - an excellent backup, and someone who can get in the zone and put up really freaking amazing performances sometimes, but not really consistent enough to be a regular starter unless one is short on options.

I think he deserves the chance to prove that "not a starter" part of the evaluation wrong, but I don't think it's happening here.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'd say yes, the gap at this point is big enough. At this point Korpisalo to me is the second coming of Jaroslav Halak - an excellent backup, and someone who can get in the zone and put up really freaking amazing performances sometimes, but not really consistent enough to be a regular starter unless one is short on options.

I think he deserves the chance to prove that "not a starter" part of the evaluation wrong, but I don't think it's happening here.
That’s a good comparison

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not remotely a tough choice . Elvis has been MUCH better 2 seasons in a row . Korpis career #s scream back up goalie . The more Elvis plays , the more he settles in and becomes dominant . The more Korpi plays in a season , the worse he gets . Even the one really good year he had in the AHL , he was replaced in the playoffs that year .

Bottom line , we will know if Jarmo really means retool rather than rebuild on which goalie he keeps . Trading Korpi means we get less of a return , but Jarmo is convinced that with a new coach , and the new players coming in, Elvis getting regular playing time , that we can compete for the playoffs .

If we trade Elvis , we are in max return mode for assets , and Jarmo doesn’t think we can compete next season .

Reactions: GoJackets1

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Keep Elvis, trade the All-Star. Korpi might have a bigger value because of his performance last year. I think Elvis will only blossom more and he's the one you want to keep. Can always sign a veteran back up to let the youngsters develop.
You realize Elvis had the much better season last year as well right ?

• Regular Season
Elvis Merzlikins Career Stats

SeasonTeamGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASSV%SOMIN
2019-2020CBJ333113908919712.35848.92351,815:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If he is our Halak, then who is our Ryder? Should be able to get a superstar for that package, maybe throwing in a 2nd rounder.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So in the leadership team's meeting with Jarmo I'm sure the topic of goaltending came up. What does everyone think they said about it?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So in the leadership team's meeting with Jarmo I'm sure the topic of goaltending came up. What does everyone think they said about it?

I'm not sure it would come up. I don't think it's much of a debate at this point. Build around Elvis. You can assume that's Jarmo's preference.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In addition to recent better performance, I think that Elvis is a highly-driven competitor who aspires to be great.

If it were an A or B decision (which it's not), Elvis would be my choice.

Reactions: EspenK

Krispy

Sep 12, 2017
Riga, Latvia
Elvis no doubt, Korpi has proven to be .890 career average goalie.

What I noticed is that they both play better if some is out for longer term and isn't breathing in the back so I think keeping them both would not be a smart move.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In a vacuum I keep Elvis. But he has a higher trade value. What is Kivs' or Tarasov's ceiling? is it going to be a rebuild or a retool? Depending on the answers to all of those ?'s the answer is I don't know.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry Korpi (and Bus), but the choice became clear this year. I wish Korpi the best and hope he finds a way to be a #1 goalie elsewhere.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In a vacuum I keep Elvis. But he has a higher trade value. What is Kivs' or Tarasov's ceiling? is it going to be a rebuild or a retool? Depending on the answers to all of those ?'s the answer is I don't know.
I think Kivlienieks can be a serviceable NHL backup. He's coming into that time where he should be ready for a such a role. This year was F'd but his numbers in Cleveland were pretty solid considering how little he got to play this year. I'm going to guess Tarasov needs at least a year, maybe 2 before he is ready for the NHL. I don't think either of those guys factor into the decision on who you keep between Elvis and Korpi today for next season.

However, if you look at the Monsters stat, I think that Empty Net guy needs some work stopping pucks.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Reactions: LJ7201

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think Kivlienieks can be a serviceable NHL backup. He's coming into that time where he should be ready for a such a role. This year was F'd but his numbers in Cleveland were pretty solid considering how little he got to play this year. I'm going to guess Tarasov needs at least a year, maybe 2 before he is ready for the NHL. I don't think either of those guys factor into the decision on who you keep between Elvis and Korpi today for next season.

I think they do IF you are intent on re-building rather than re-tooling. What better way to re-build than to have a lesser goalie (Korpi) in net while you get better draft choices than with Elvis? They come into play if you are looking longer term, which I think the Jackets need to be, rather than focusing strictly on next year.

I'd guess the organization feels pretty good about Tarasov so I'd make plans for him to take over in 2 years and reap the benefits of an Elvis trade. If the Jackets truly believe they can re-tool than you keep Elvis and see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad