Very simply: Korpisalo or Merzlikins?

Korpi or Elvis

• Total voters

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
They're both being talked about as trade bait, so let's debate away the pros and cons of who the CBJ should keep:
Korpi
has a better contract
has more experience
came into his own as a #1 goalie this season
does have a tendency to get hot-headed

Elvis
has more potential (as he just completed his first season)
more marketable
showed flashes of being able to handle #1 workload

My vote goes to Elvis, for the reasons I've stated.....I think Jarmo can capitalize on Korpisalo's playoff run and friendly contract to parlay this into a forward they need.

Interested to see these results!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
My vote goes to Elvis, for the reasons I've stated.....I think Jarmo can capitalize on Korpisalo's playoff run and friendly contract to parlay this into a forward they need.

Interested to see these results!

I think your “reasons” are probably similar to those who feel the same way (Elvis > Joonas) and I think they are ridiculous and/or false.

1) This idea that Elvis is more “marketable” or more of a “fan favorite” couldn’t be ANY more redundant. “Marketable” to who? Either way, why would that be ANY part of a decision between what goalie to keep? We have people who mock the entire concept of players being “loyal” to a team or city , but, would literally make a roster decision based on a 1st name and victory celebration/dance?

2) How is it that Merzlikins can be considered as having more potential?

Age is nearly the same and Korpisalo has proven that he is MORE THAN capable BOTH years he has been the starting goalie, one of those years ago. Not only that, but, Korpisalo was VERY GOOD nearly all year. He WAS an “all star” level goalie before he got hurt, his play in the playoffs should end all the questions regarding him being an adequate starting goalie and should be THE reason people should want to keep him. It’s also necessary to point out that Merzlikins has actually had just as much (more?) time actually playing/starting/“developing” the last few years.

Look at it this way, look how good Korpisalo was in his 1st year ever given a chance to play behind a promising team. I don’t care how many SO’s the guy has, Korpisalo is simply the better goalie, over any 10 game period, or “at their best”.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As there is no "either" or "both" option, I am refraining from voting, because I think it is foolish to attempt to choose in advance at this juncture. Pick whichever one the folks giving you a #2C doesn't want.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Do we vote on who goes, or who stays? Until I know that, it’s not very simple.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Its honestly not a decision I'd be comfortable with making yet. Both have had very high highs, and very low lows.

Korpisalo is the more athletic goalie. However, he also lets in incredibly soft goals frequently. All goalies do it, but Korpisalo does it at an alarming rate. But, he makes freakishly athletic saves that I don't think Elvis could make. However, this isn't always a good thing because he loses his angles a lot. He also has a very hot temper and losses his cool. But when he is calm and composed, he's really good.

Elvis is very steady. He's athletic, but less so than Korpi. He doesn't let in as many softies (once he got settled into the NHL), and is very technically sound. He's good on his angles. He does get wild in the net sometimes, which isn't good. He's pretty good at playing the puck, but it can be a bit of an adventure sometimes.

I think the smartest thing to do would be to let them battle it out another season. But I'm aware of our glaring needs at forward, so if an offer comes for one of them you should take it. But if you made me pick between the two, I would LIKELY pick Elvis. I think he has a higher ceiling, but also has a higher chance to fail. It's a tough call.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Jarmo insists on trading 1, trade the one that get you the best player.

But honestly I would keep both. For various reasons.
1)they get along and both understand the situation. Both wants to be the starter so both should be motivated to keep playing well.

2)they make a combine salary/cap hit of $6.8. So it's not like they have alot tied up for goalies.

3)as much as Korpisalo's value might be a high right now I want him as insurance, just in case Elvis' hot streak wasn't a fluke. And if it wasn't a fluke, I want him as insurance, to make sure Korpisalo's all star season wasn't a fluke.

4)if Korpisalo gets injured, I have faith in Elvis. If Elvis gets injured, I have faith in Korpisalo. If one of them is traded and our backup is Kivlenieks, I have no faith in him as a starter. And yes Columbus could sign a backup as a replacement but free agent pool will either be slim picking or too expensive to sign.

5)if both play well and basically have a 50/50 split, both should be fresh in the playoffs if they make it.

6)signed for 2 years so hope they both play well again. They can trade one of them next off season. Plus with the expansion draft, maybe Seattle likes one of our goalies. Maybe Jarmo likes a player they can draft or likes a player they drafted. Maybe a deal can be made.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
On paper it’s an easy choice. Korpi has had multiple NHL seasons with only this being truly solid and noticeable in the league, he was an average backup to Bob. Elvis had a great season in his rookie year earning the all rookie team spot.

Potential wise, you keep Elvis without a question. Can’t take much from Korpi though, he had a great season for us.

Reactions: Martin Sloan

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I would keep both. Korpi is a capable goalie and Elvis hasn't shown enough at the NHL level to make Korpi expendable yet.

But that wasn't an option.

Stig Jenssen

Oct 3, 2020
I think Korpisalo with his salary is In better value right now. If we can get something realy good offence with him, then ee trade him. I belive that Jackets playing style is good also In future, but it desperately shouts more offence. We need to think where this Team is at 5-years since this moment.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
This is everything but simply. Both was great and awesome. Elvis has bad time at the beginning but then SO,SO,SO,SO,SO ETC. Korpi was beast at playoffs so how the hell you answer this. Id say trade the one where package what comes back is better.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If Jarmo insists on trading 1, trade the one that get you the best player.

Exactly the way I feel.

We need a 1/2C and also another top line scoring forward would be nice too. But the C is the priority. If we can give up Savard (or another D-man) with one of the goalies I'm all for it.
But no way do I trade either for a prospect or depth guy. If that is the case hold on to both of them and do the 1A/1B goalie thing until they sort themselves out.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Wow I wasn't expecting this to be such a landslide. I agree with many, I'd keep both this season unless a great offer comes in for either one of them - but with a gun to my head I voted to keep Elvis.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Elvis.... Doesnt need to be protected in expansion, where as Korpi and Kiv do I believe. So if we traded Elvis, can only protect 1 goalie, you protentially lose 2 of your 3 goalies. Also, I think Elvis has that drive to be Elite , tends to rebound better from adversity as shown from how his season began, and what he made of it once Korpi went down. I do think that Torts system makes his goalies look good.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Well, now that the Domi trade has happened, I'm going to have to revise my answer: pick whichever one the folks giving you a star #1LW doesn't want.
I think that’s the potential move....interesting who GMs would value more. Korpi is coming off an incredible playoffs and at under $3.0M AAV, he’s an incredible bargain - especially for a team needing a netminder but is cash strapped. Elvis was amazing as a rookie and probably seen by some GMs as having the bigger upside with the bonus of not needing protection. But at $4M a GM may go for a more experienced goalie. Jarmo is in a great position because doing nothing is also a safe, well received move as there’s no expansion draft risk keeping both.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
like many others I honestly don’t want to see either go...but we need that #1 LW so I get it..

If it’s Korpisalo: I feel kinda bad because of how long he backed up Bob, then finally got the starting role, then along came Elvis - in a way feels like he’s never been able to catch a break — all while being a true pro and going about his business.

I also can’t help but think of the time in Vegas walking down the strip with a friend when Korpisalo stopped briefly to chat — my friend, who’s a bigger guy, asked Korpisalo if he thought he could hunker down in net for the team and Korpi responded laughing with “probably not” :D

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Keep Elvis, trade the All-Star. Korpi might have a bigger value because of his performance last year. I think Elvis will only blossom more and he's the one you want to keep. Can always sign a veteran back up to let the youngsters develop.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not surprised by the ridiculous poll selection numbers, won’t be surprised with who Jarmo moves, or with the opposite directions the careers of Korpisalo and Merzlikins go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad