Confirmed with Link: Vermette traded to Chicago for 1st (2015) + D Klas Dahlbeck

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reider - McEichel - Boedker
Domi - Vermette - Duclair
Doan - Hanzal - Gagner
Lessio - Vitale - Eaves

Morgan seemed to think Gagner might be moved for whatever reason. And we should accommodate the possibility that Doan opts to leave. That's even more money to spend/need to reach the floor. Has anyone done the math?

I prefer Fehr or Condra to Eaves. And Letestu is just a straight upgrade on Vitale.

The whole idea behind moving Doan to 3rd line minutes was to hide him from the top defenders and forwards of the other team. Can't do that with Hanzal on his line. Yes, Vermette often drew tougher assignments, but he won't flanked by two rookies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Morgan seemed to think Gagner might be moved for whatever reason. And we should accommodate the possibility that Doan opts to leave. That's even more money to spend/need to reach the floor. Has anyone done the math?

I prefer Fehr or Condra to Eaves. And Letestu is just a straight upgrade on Vitale.

The whole idea behind moving Doan to 3rd line minutes was to hide him from the top defenders and forwards of the other team. Can't do that with Hanzal on his line. Yes, Vermette often drew tougher assignments, but he won't flanked by two rookies.

I'm fine with Condra, but he doesn't have Eaves's speed and his offensive acumen sometimes can be Moss-like, whereas Eaves has demonstrated he can fill-in in the Top 6 and not be a black hole. Fehr is fine too, shares a similar skillet with Bernier. I can see us definitely targeting Letestu but as a river in the Top 9 and *not* as 4C.

But fine, lets rejigger the lines. Top 9 overall is going to be fluid anyways.

Domi - Vermette - Boedker
Doan - McEichel - Duclair
Reider - Hanzal - Gagner

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Still having a hard time believing that the same Q who thought a broken down Handzus was the answer to #2C (granted he was big in the previous playoffs) now thinks his lineup is better without Vermette in it.
Below expectations? Yes. Healthy scratch? Still boggled.

That's how we overvalue our own players. Most fans think their players are worth more and better than they really are. Vermette is on the downside of his career, but still a very useful player. Most of the time it takes players time to adjust to new linemates etc. and when you trade for a rental at the deadline there is not much time.Q is a good coach, he knows what he is doing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's how we overvalue our own players. Most fans think their players are worth more and better than they really are. Vermette is on the downside of his career, but still a very useful player. Most of the time it takes players time to adjust to new linemates etc. and when you trade for a rental at the deadline there is not much time.Q is a good coach, he knows what he is doing.

He is still a solid vet, good on the pk, good on the dot, good on D. The first time a player gets traded is usually the biggest adjustment to a new team/new city. Vermette has moved around before and Chicago is a veteran club, so his lack of production does surprise me. I wonder if he mentally is just not into it or maybe being away from his family. Something going on here and not his physical skills, they can't change much in 20 games.

This could help us sign him in the off season to less money and years, which I would do for sure. Maybe he is in a 20 game slump?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I believe the Hawks have tried Vermette at center and wing, and have rotated him between the two. Using Vermette on the wing really minimizes his effectiveness.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This could help us sign him in the off season to less money and years, which I would do for sure. Maybe he is in a 20 game slump?

Maybe Vermette's status as a big fish in a very very small pond had us all fooled as to how much gas he has left in the tank...?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yeah. I want to move on from vermy just so tipp doesn't have a veteran he can use to take mins away from domi/mceichel/duclair/ect... I believe dt takes shorter picture than a longer one with rookies unless they are accomplished 2-way players like rieder

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Maybe Vermette's status as a big fish in a very very small pond had us all fooled as to how much gas he has left in the tank...?
Agreed. Still strange to sit him against Nashville, would seem to be a good match-up against Ribeiro. Could understand sitting him against a big team like STL.

Unless things change and he gets minutes and performs well in the playoffs, his hope for a big payday are gone. Did 5-6 years/$30M turn into 3 years/$10-12m?

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I would bring Vermy back for 3 years @$14M. That's an average of just over $4.6M a year. Probably less than he gets on the open market, but maybe enough to bring him back to Phoenix and his home. A lot to pay a very good #3 center I know, but he can slide up and he is good on special teams. This assumes we get our 1C in the draft by picking in the top 2. If not, I look to get a 1C through trade and spend upwards of $6M on that player. Term depends upon age.

Giving Doan 3rd line minutes and keeping him on the #1PP unit should bring him back to a 20 goal/ 40+ point guy, especially if paired with Vermy and either Reider, Duclair or Gags. I would actually make our #2 line with Hanzel our shut down line. Not sure who best to pair him with. We don't have a lot of strong, two-way forwards.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Agreed. Still strange to sit him against Nashville, would seem to be a good match-up against Ribeiro. Could understand sitting him against a big team like STL.

It looks to me like coach Q playing the motivation card - Vermette will draw back in, especially if the team doesn't win.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would bring Vermy back for 3 years @$14M. That's an average of just over $4.6M a year. Probably less than he gets on the open market, but maybe enough to bring him back to Phoenix and his home. A lot to pay a very good #3 center I know, but he can slide up and he is good on special teams. This assumes we get our 1C in the draft by picking in the top 2. If not, I look to get a 1C through trade and spend upwards of $6M on that player. Term depends upon age.

Giving Doan 3rd line minutes and keeping him on the #1PP unit should bring him back to a 20 goal/ 40+ point guy, especially if paired with Vermy and either Reider, Duclair or Gags. I would actually make our #2 line with Hanzel our shut down line. Not sure who best to pair him with. We don't have a lot of strong, two-way forwards.

I'd prefer 2yr, 10mil

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I look at Vermette as a default signing if the Coyotes get a McEichel and can't find a center in a trade leading up to free agency (more likely during the draft). I rather the Coyotes sign Soderberg in free agency (I expect for less money) or trade for Sobotka @$2.75 mil for 1 year and bring in Dvorak the following year.
Without a McEichel, I expect the Coyotes to stay close to the floor

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It'll be interesting to see the timeline of when these cap teams move out guys. Boston didn't trade Boychuk and Leddy until October.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He is still a solid vet, good on the pk, good on the dot, good on D. The first time a player gets traded is usually the biggest adjustment to a new team/new city. Vermette has moved around before and Chicago is a veteran club, so his lack of production does surprise me. I wonder if he mentally is just not into it or maybe being away from his family. Something going on here and not his physical skills, they can't change much in 20 games.

I believe his family is in Chicago. How can he not be mentally into it? He has a chance to win a cup. I felt for sure he would do better than what he is. I would like to move on from Vermette and I think we will because some GM will give him 5M/yr.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I look at Vermette as a default signing if the Coyotes get a McEichel and can't find a center in a trade leading up to free agency (more likely during the draft). I rather the Coyotes sign Soderberg in free agency (I expect for less money) or trade for Sobotka @$2.75 mil for 1 year and bring in Dvorak the following year.
Without a McEichel, I expect the Coyotes to stay close to the floor

I believe you could be correct.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Vermette was in slump for us before we traded him, it is more than a 20game slump. I have heartburn paying him $5m/yr.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Vermette was in slump for us before we traded him, it is more than a 20game slump. I have heartburn paying him $5m/yr.

While I certainly agree with you in principle, we're going to have to hit the cap floor somehow, and I'd rather slightly overpay Vermette for a short term deal, as opposed to handing a bunch of dumb, long-term contracts to over-the-hill vets, like Tallon did with Upshall, Jovo, Bolland, etc., when Florida needed to hit the cap floor.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
For all the people killing GMDM. Does he get any credit for this trade?

I don't want Vermette back, great guy and teammate, but another guy on the wrong side of his peak.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I give him all the credit in the world for all of his trades at this deadline. I know it's not in vogue to be positive about DM right now - and his free-agency performances have been a mixed bag at best - but he's some sort of trading savant, this guy.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

I don't want Vermette back, great guy and teammate, but another guy on the wrong side of his peak.

I give him all the credit in the world for all of his trades at this deadline. I know it's not in vogue to be positive about DM right now - and his free-agency performances have been a mixed bag at best - but he's some sort of trading savant, this guy.

I'd argue that he waited too long and should have done it sooner, in order to guarantee us another loss or two, and therefore McDavid or Eichel.

I'd take a 1st. round pick and McEichel all day, before I would take a 1st. round pick, Dahlbeck, and Strome (that is if we lose the lottery, of course haha)

If we end up standing pat, or winning the lottery, then it looks like a savvy move by management. If we get bumped down (66% chance), then it looks like a stupid move. Therefore, there's a 66% chance that Maloney waiting so long was a stupid move.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd argue that he waited too long and should have done it sooner, in order to guarantee us another loss or two, and therefore McDavid or Eichel.

I'd take a 1st. round pick and McEichel all day, before I would take a 1st. round pick, Dahlbeck, and Strome (that is if we lose the lottery, of course haha)

If we end up standing pat, or winning the lottery, then it looks like a savvy move by management. If we get bumped down (66% chance), then it looks like a stupid move. Therefore, there's a 66% chance that Maloney waiting so long was a stupid move.

IIRC maloney said he wished he traded them earlier too. Still got good returns but an extra 2 losses would've been nice.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ

The Coyotes were 0-9-0 leading up to the Trade Deadline, so no extra points to be lost there. He pulled a potential Top 4 Dman in Dahlbeck, plus a 1st Round pick....so again, I'd give GMDM an A on that deal. He likely waited too long on Michalek and acknowledged as such.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00