Confirmed with Link: Vermette traded to Chicago for 1st (2015) + D Klas Dahlbeck

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Depends on the contract. A two year? Yep. I want him back. A four year? Nope!

You DVR games, right? Did you save any particularly crushing losses from this year or last? The organization needs to create distance between those teams and next year. I don't even care if he's a bargain option. Pay someone else to take that stall and be a Coyote. That goes for most of the roster.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You DVR games, right? Did you save any particularly crushing losses from this year or last? The organization needs to create distance between those teams and next year. I don't even care if he's a bargain option. Pay someone else to take that stall and be a Coyote. That goes for most of the roster.

Couldn't agree more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Vermette was one of our better players, yet he can't crack the Hawks line up, and when or if he does he won't be getting the TOI he got in AZ. That shows how little talent we really have.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

For most of the year vermette was one of our best players, and one of the few who consistently tried. That being said he may be mentally weak since the whole trade situation clearly messed with his head and it hasn't improved since then from his play with Chicago. This added with the recent quote makes me not as keen on bringing him back. I think I'd still do it for a cheap 2 year deal, but I'd bet someone else will still throw more cash at him. I agree with you in principle, I'd like to see a lot of distance from this year's roster, but imo vermette wasn't one of the problems so I'd be ok with him coming back.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Vermette was one of our better players, yet he can't crack the Hawks line up, and when or if he does he won't be getting the TOI he got in AZ. That shows how little talent we really have.

Vermette hasn't been the same since around the trade deadline, if he was playing like 1st half vermette I'm sure he'd be in the lineup. The fact that the trade got into his head that much is a valid concern though, so I see your and XX's points.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For most of the year vermette was one of our best players, and one of the few who consistently tried. That being said he may be mentally weak since the whole trade situation clearly messed with his head and it hasn't improved since then from his play with Chicago. This added with the recent quote makes me not as keen on bringing him back. I think I'd still do it for a cheap 2 year deal, but I'd bet someone else will still throw more cash at him. I agree with you in principle, I'd like to see a lot of distance from this year's roster, but imo vermette wasn't one of the problems so I'd be ok with him coming back.

I think you are correct, but don't forget about the age factor. He played a lot of tough minutes for us, he could be worn down. I wouldn't put to much into the quotes you are reading.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think you are correct, but don't forget about the age factor. He played a lot of tough minutes for us, he could be worn down. I wouldn't put to much into the quotes you are reading.

Regarding his age, we learned a lesson when under Maloney and TGO we had about 10 teenagers on the team. A college freshman team won't work in the NHL. We need age to balance the youth. I'd take him back in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Regarding his age, we learned a lesson when under Maloney and TGO we had about 10 teenagers on the team. A college freshman team won't work in the NHL. We need age to balance the youth. I'd take him back in a heartbeat if the price was right.

I understand, and some will agree with you, but I'm with XX on this one, time to move on. You are right when you said we need to balance the team. We tried young with TGO, and we tried old last year. Now with stable ownership, we can finally build a team the right way.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I would take Vermette back like RT said if it was a two year contract but I doubt he will go for that. We have young guys in the wings who will be ready to play after that hopefully.

I would like him around to help teach some of these young ones ways to improve their defence and face off techniques. He has more value then just the minutes on ice he can give us.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I agree with you in principle, I'd like to see a lot of distance from this year's roster, but imo vermette wasn't one of the problems so I'd be ok with him coming back.

I think he was part of the problem, actually, because to me at least the veterans on the team had settled into a clique rather than forming a leadership group. Remember after the TDL when Doan, having lost his two best pals in the room, actually played like he gave a crap for a few games? Actually, the whole team did - even with that godawful roster, they played with energy. That energy derived from change, from the new.

Personally, I have to separate my personal affinity for certain players from an objective assessment of what I believe the team needs. Shane Doan is my favorite hockey player of all time, but a couple of weeks ago I was accused of having a "hardon against [him]." I love Michalek and I like Vermette a lot. But I don't want either of them back with the team because they are nothing but diminishing assets for us - veterans whose production is declining and whose room presence isn't motivating enough otherwise to justify their paycheck.

This team needs a new attitude. Domi in particular brings that, but we need it through the whole roster, vets included.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think he was part of the problem, actually, because to me at least the veterans on the team had settled into a clique rather than forming a leadership group. Remember after the TDL when Doan, having lost his two best pals in the room, actually played like he gave a crap for a few games? Actually, the whole team did - even with that godawful roster, they played with energy. That energy derived from change, from the new.

Personally, I have to separate my personal affinity for certain players from an objective assessment of what I believe the team needs. Shane Doan is my favorite hockey player of all time, but a couple of weeks ago I was accused of having a "hardon against [him]." I love Michalek and I like Vermette a lot. But I don't want either of them back with the team because they are nothing but diminishing assets for us - veterans whose production is declining and whose room presence isn't motivating enough otherwise to justify their paycheck.

This team needs a new attitude. Domi in particular brings that, but we need it through the whole roster, vets included.

That's true, maybe all the better that someone else will throw more cash at him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We don't know what the issue is in Chicago with Vermette. All we know is that his production was down after the trade. Q could have benched him for a variety of reasons. If he plays in game 3, the rest of the series, produces, and the hawks win a few series, Vermette's value will be restored. If he does not play, or plays and does not produce, and the hawks lose this round, it will hurt his UFA value. Too early to tell and we just don't know. He is human and I have been told by enough pro athletes how hard it is to adjust to a mid season trade mentally. regardless, Vermette is a solid player and will get decent money and term as a UFA because of his body of work.

I am not sure how DM or Tip view Vermette. His production was solid hear but we don't know about his attitude here or his effect on the culture. It could be good or bad, just don't know. Would he want to play here again, does DM want him, forgetting dollars/term for a minute? DM did not want Ribs regardless, not sure on their view of Vermette.

Other teams could look at Vermette and see a fresh start, full training camp as beneficial. they also might see Ribs/verby, and the increased production they both had with other more talented teams. they will weigh more than the short term playoff benchings in Chicago. I suspect Vermette will get at least 3 years of term and 4.5-5.5 mill, maybe more if he turns it around in Chicago.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I would take Vermette back like RT said if it was a two year contract but I doubt he will go for that. We have young guys in the wings who will be ready to play after that hopefully.

I would like him around to help teach some of these young ones ways to improve their defence and face off techniques. He has more value then just the minutes on ice he can give us.

This I agree with. If he wants to come back to Arizona, I would welcome him back so fast. He brings so much more to the table than on ice. And honestly, while he was here he was a great product on the ice for us.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This I agree with. If he wants to come back to Arizona, I would welcome him back so fast. He brings so much more to the table than on ice. And honestly, while he was here he was a great product on the ice for us.

Whatever he brought off the ice isn't needed. The Coyotes should not be in the business of building comfortable atmospheres and appeasing players that whine about their friends being shipped off after three years of not making the playoffs.

Doan skipping town would be wonderful, because he'd probably suck Tippett into that vortex with him. Total change is needed. It has nothing to do with the players and staff in question. Just move on.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Whatever he brought off the ice isn't needed. The Coyotes should not be in the business of building comfortable atmospheres and appeasing players that whine about their friends being shipped off after three years of not making the playoffs.

Doan skipping town would be wonderful, because he'd probably suck Tippett into that vortex with him. Total change is needed. It has nothing to do with the players and staff in question. Just move on.

Not sure just who seems more bitter and pouting here.

zz

Nov 1, 2006

Kind of. Vermette took a long time to adjust and be productive here as well. His defensive game was good but I remember being underwhelmed by his production for quite a while.

Also, Vrbata and Yandle were pretty good here, and they've been pretty good in their new teams. So I don't know that Vermette's lackluster play says much about our team in general. He's just another example of trade deadline risky bets and overhype.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe you are right, it's like someone putting in the last years of work before retirement, just putting in the time with little worries or ambition.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Feckless hit the nail on the head.

I'm not sure how a fan can analyze this team the last 3 seasons and not adress the listless play. Either that's coaching or a country club atmospheric. Is it really so hard to imagine the veterans got too comfortable? GMDM alluded as much last off-season.

We're speculating as to what players are responsible, but we aren't inventing the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad