Confirmed with Link: Vermette traded to Chicago for 1st (2015) + D Klas Dahlbeck

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
It's not a radical suggestion by any means, if we are in fact in the basement again over the next 2 years. A team that loses $34 million, in the first year of a 5 year out clause that allows them to relocate without consequence if the losses add up to $50 million, then becomes one of the worst teams in the league, and sees attendance number fall in it's second year.

He presented the hypothetical scenario in which we may be in the basement again over the next 2 years (years 3 and 4 of the out clause). If this scenario were to unfold, the teams attendance would most likely continue to decrease, thus decreasing revenue, and increasing losses, which would probably make for cumulative losses much higher than $50 million, thus allowing ownership to relocate the team to a more immediately profitable market.

I can completely understand the concern, but I have to agree with DOM on here. I believe, and could totally be wrong as this is all just reasoning on my part, that this team's future for good or for ill was decided the day Barroway put 150 on the barrelhead.

IA were rolling the dice when they bought the franchise so they had more leeway to play. However Barroway did not have the luxury. I simply can't see making an investment of that magnitude without having a playbook in place. He either bought the team with every intention of keeping it here and making it work based on the growth he has already seen IA achieve, or he bought it with the plan of moving it based on making 70% of the out clause in 1 season.

That is why he wanted the rebuild, it wasn't about trying to wring out every single dollar every season anymore, it was about the long term future of the team.

I choose to believe he intends to keep the team here. Either way, I don't see the future of the franchise hanging over Maloney's moves anymore. Take it for whatever you think its worth....

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I can completely understand the concern, but I have to agree with DOM on here. I believe, and could totally be wrong as this is all just reasoning on my part, that this team's future for good or for ill was decided the day Barroway put 150 on the barrelhead.

IA were rolling the dice when they bought the franchise so they had more leeway to play. However Barroway did not have the luxury. I simply can't see making an investment of that magnitude without having a playbook in place. He either bought the team with every intention of keeping it here and making it work based on the growth he has already seen IA achieve, or he bought it with the plan of moving it based on making 70% of the out clause in 1 season.

That is why he wanted the rebuild, it wasn't about trying to wring out every single dollar every season anymore, it was about the long term future of the team.

I choose to believe he intends to keep the team here. Either way, I don't see the future of the franchise hanging over Maloney's moves anymore. Take it for whatever you think its worth....

I don't see Barroway as the type of guy who is in this to relocate a team, I generally think he just wanted to be apart of something involving sports. He has tried to buy the 76ers and Devils prior to buying 51% of the Coyotes. In an interview with LeBlanc I remember LeBlanc saying that he originally wanted to buy the whole team from IA. The only reason that it was settled on 51% is because of better financial breaks and conditions.

People also seem to forget that the out clause only gets the team out of the lease, it does not guarantee a move. The out clause can be exercised to negotiate a better lease for Barroway and IA. It can also be used to get the out of Glendale and possibly back into AWA. It by no way means the team is moving out of state.

In order for the team to relocate it needs approval by the league.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The out clause can be exercised to negotiate a better lease for Barroway and IA. It can also be used to get the out of Glendale and possibly back into AWA. It by no way means the team is moving out of state.

Glendale wouldn't give an even better lease. Ridiculous. And going to U.S. Airways would be a very bad move, unless Sarver intends to share a lot of revenue until both teams can agree on a new arena.

The fact is that the Coyotes will probably have lost enough money on paper to exercise the out clause when it's due. So the team had better turn it around in some fashion to give Barroway and the league an excuse to keep the team here.

A brighter future suits the team just fine if it ends up somewhere else. That he went for a rebuild has no reflection on his long term intentions.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Does ASU have any plans to build a new basketball/hockey stadium?

Maybe that's a partnership opportunity for the Coyotes. They could potentially share a stadium in the East Valley.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Does ASU have any plans to build a new basketball/hockey stadium?

Maybe that's a partnership opportunity for the Coyotes. They could potentially share a stadium in the East Valley.

A new ASU facility will be 10k max. Not enough. I imagine the Suns and Coyotes will go in on a new arena, eventually, if the team stays. Somewhere in the Tempe/South Scottsdale corridor.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A new ASU facility will be 10k max. Not enough. I imagine the Suns and Coyotes will go in on a new arena, eventually, if the team stays. Somewhere in the Tempe/South Scottsdale corridor.

I have a gut feeling that will happen.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

This would make too much sense. But it would be amazing for both teams if this happened.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't see Barroway as the type of guy who is in this to relocate a team, I generally think he just wanted to be apart of something involving sports. He has tried to buy the 76ers and Devils prior to buying 51% of the Coyotes. In an interview with LeBlanc I remember LeBlanc saying that he originally wanted to buy the whole team from IA. The only reason that it was settled on 51% is because of better financial breaks and conditions.

People also seem to forget that the out clause only gets the team out of the lease, it does not guarantee a move. The out clause can be exercised to negotiate a better lease for Barroway and IA. It can also be used to get the out of Glendale and possibly back into AWA. It by no way means the team is moving out of state.

In order for the team to relocate it needs approval by the league.

Exactly, and NHL approval just will not happen. IA and Barroway are on the hook now. The team is not moving. In 5 years, every major sports franchise, including the Yotes, will be sold for 1 billion or more. Barroway can afford to lose money for years and still be ahead financially because of Franchise values.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Vermette appears to be healthy scratch for game 1 of playoffs

Guy is a complete disaster as a player. Once again bravo to your GM on ripping off Hawks for 2nd straight season

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

Guy is a complete disaster as a player. Once again bravo to your GM on ripping off Hawks for 2nd straight season

I don't think anybody could have predicted this. Yeah, he regressed a bit this year, but last he was absolutely our best player. I'm really surprised it has come to this. Yeah, he hadn't been great for us this year but no forward had. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the talent level around him.

Last edited:

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Unless he starts stepping it up I don't see any teams throwing a big deal at him. Greatest fleecing in a long time.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I want to re-sign him to a steal of a contract as other teams avoid him like the plague. I'd give him the highest dollar two year he'll take. At this point, two years 9mil might do it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Unless he starts stepping it up I don't see any teams throwing a big deal at him. Greatest fleecing in a long time.

Nobody got fleeced if Chicago paid roughly around what other teams thought he was worth. Vermette can be a good player. His performance in Chicago doesn't make the deal a steal, just bad for Chicago, which ultimately makes getting a premium for rental players harder in the future.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I want to re-sign him to a steal of a contract as other teams avoid him like the plague. I'd give him the highest dollar two year he'll take. At this point, two years 9mil might do it.

Boedker - Vermette - Rieder
Domi - Eichel - Duclair
Gagner - Hanzal - Samuelsson
Chip - Vitale - Whoever Korpi

:amazed:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I would like to repeat that Vermette was underwhelming for us as well after we acquired him during the 2012 trade deadline. He seems to take some time to adjust, but that doesn't help CHI now, especially as they got him as a rental.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think ck's point with Vermette on the fist is that even an Eichel would likely be sheltered somewhat in his first season. Vermette always drew tough assignments here, even over Hanzal. So having him with Duclair and Domi wouldn't work very well.

Personally I just say move on from Vermette even with the possibility of getting him cheap. I don't like the way he handled the prospect of being traded and that carried over to Chicago in his play. It's all between the ears. We don't need to bring that back. Let's get some new vets in here to change the mix.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think ck's point with Vermette on the fist is that even an Eichel would likely be sheltered somewhat in his first season. Vermette always drew tough assignments here, even over Hanzal. So having him with Duclair and Domi wouldn't work very well.

Personally I just say move on from Vermette even with the possibility of getting him cheap. I don't like the way he handled the prospect of being traded and that carried over to Chicago in his play. It's all between the ears. We don't need to bring that back. Let's get some new vets in here to change the mix.

Doan-McEichel(plz?)-Boeds
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Vermette-Gagner
Lessio-Vitale-M.Brown(plz?)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Still having a hard time believing that the same Q who thought a broken down Handzus was the answer to #2C (granted he was big in the previous playoffs) now thinks his lineup is better without Vermette in it.
Below expectations? Yes. Healthy scratch? Still boggled.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The Hawks are doing something wrong with Vermette then.

At worst throughout his career with multiple teams Vermette has been a 2nd/3rd line defensively responsible center with a good FO%. He should be exactly the type of player Chicago would want in the playoffs to take important face offs, play center defense, and absorb some of the defensive load. Allowing the Hawks top talented line with Toews to take some more offensive line matchups and carry a little less defensive matching.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Doan-McEichel(plz?)-Boeds
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Vermette-Gagner
Lessio-Vitale-M.Brown(plz?)

Eh, I like Domi - Vermette - Duclair better. More speed. Coming off from major injury, Hanzal should start transitioning back to a 3C shutdown-oriented role. Doan at this point should also be a 3rd liner, and Maloney already stated that Doan's minutes should be reduced to keep his effectiveness.

As awesome on paper Domi - McEichel - Duclair may be (and possibly eventually in a few years), there is no way in hell Tippett will ice an all-rookie line at even strength. He's going to mix and match them with more defensively responsible veterans.

Reider - McEichel - Boedker
Domi - Vermette - Duclair
Doan - Hanzal - Gagner
Lessio - Vitale - Eaves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad