Confirmed with Link: Vermette traded to Chicago for 1st (2015) + D Klas Dahlbeck

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can live with that. My scorn has been focused much more on Playfair throughout the past few seasons anyways. :)

Good, and I agree about Playfair. Now we just need to get rt on board, and we can start to focus on next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
2Cs under 30 are going to be hard to acquire. And with Yandle gone, I don't know if we have the assets to land one. ROR is obviously the main target but that's a potential minefield in itself.

We get McEichel, have Hanzal and Vitale. Maybe bring back Arcobello. Not like we are going to be competitive next year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We're 8-10M below the cap floor after factoring in reasonable extensions for the worthwhile RFAs and a backup goalie. I'm not sure Arcobello fits when we'll need to spend ~5M on 2/3C, and then the other ~5M on a top-pair D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We're 8-10M below the cap floor after factoring in reasonable extensions for the worthwhile RFAs and a backup goalie. I'm not sure Arcobello fits when we'll need to spend ~5M on 2/3C, and then the other ~5M on a top-pair D.

Yeah, you are probably right.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Newsflash, people change their minds and reassess.

I haven't changed my mind. I wanted him traded. I'm glad he was traded. Somehow that apparently equates to me not wanting him back as a free agent. If Michalek would be willing to sign a 1yr, 1m deal I'd want him back too. I'd be happy to sign Yandle next summer.

[mod] I think I'll choose not to continue this discussion. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't changed my mind. I wanted him traded. I'm glad he was traded. Somehow that apparently equates to me not wanting him back as a free agent. If Michalek would be willing to sign a 1yr, 1m deal I'd want him back too. I'd be happy to sign Yandle next summer.

Oh, believe me, I'm all for resigning Yandle, hopefully after a Grail win or two with the Rangers.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We get McEichel, have Hanzal and Vitale. Maybe bring back Arcobello. Not like we are going to be competitive next year.

Disagree. If we get McEichel, we should bring in quality depth to insulate them. Vermette would be perfect in that regard.
If we don't get McEichel and Strome/Marner/Dman/#3pick isn't going to play (and the consensus seems to be that the forwards shouldn't) then I'm fine with bringing back Arcobello and/or Gagner or whatever mediocre veteran to play C.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Haven't watched the Hawks closely since the trade. Any opinions on why Vermette hasn't worked out there? I would have expected him to be a huge upgrade over Brad Richards centering the 2nd line.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yup, it looks like 2 years in the basement if we get #3. After that, we should be quite competitive if Maloney does things right.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Has there been anything said by any of the ownership group that leads you to the impression that Maloney is getting sacked?

I'm talking about the Coyotes. If the Coyotes are in the basement for the next two years, they will probably relocate. That's why I want McDavid/Eichel now.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm talking about the Coyotes. If the Coyotes are in the basement for the next two years, they will probably relocate. That's why I want McDavid/Eichel now.

So a man was caught attempting to steal a horse from the Royal Palace. The King pronounced the death sentence. The man said, "Please wait, because I can teach your horse to sing." The King laughed hard and told the man he's a fool. The man persisted. The king said "You have two years. If my horse isn't singing you will be put to death." The man agreed.

As he was led away, a guard asked the man how he could be so foolish. The man said "You never know. I have two years. I have two years that I didn't have before. A lot of things might happen in two years. The king might die. And who knows, the horse might learn to sing. Either way I have my two years."

In other words, have some faith. A lot of things can happen in 2 years.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If we get McDavid or Eichel, we can teach the horse to sing by next Saturday. If we don't we're gonna have to pull something out of our ass. Especially if we draft Hanifin.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If we get McDavid or Eichel, we can teach the horse to sing by next Saturday. If we don't we're gonna have to pull something out of our ass. Especially if we draft Hanifin.

meh, my opinion is that we're either already moving or already staying...leading to a potential rerun of 2011-12 in 2017-18: "picked to finish last; rumors of relocation.... makes deep playoff run! stays another 10 years!"

If 'they' don't wanna move us, we ain't movin' - if they wanna move us, we ain't stayin'.... and I really haven't seen any indication that they wanna move us. Mind you, a lot of *others* wanna see us moved,,,,

But, this is all OT - hey how about that Dahlbeck, eh?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Haven't watched the Hawks closely since the trade. Any opinions on why Vermette hasn't worked out there? I would have expected him to be a huge upgrade over Brad Richards centering the 2nd line.

Vermette is a top 6 player on a bad team. On a team like the Hawks Vermette is a third line player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Disagree. If we get McEichel, we should bring in quality depth to insulate them. Vermette would be perfect in that regard.
If we don't get McEichel and Strome/Marner/Dman/#3pick isn't going to play (and the consensus seems to be that the forwards shouldn't) then I'm fine with bringing back Arcobello and/or Gagner or whatever mediocre veteran to play C.

We are same.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Why do you make up ---- like this?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Why do you make up ---- like this?

It's not a radical suggestion by any means, if we are in fact in the basement again over the next 2 years. A team that loses $34 million, in the first year of a 5 year out clause that allows them to relocate without consequence if the losses add up to $50 million, then becomes one of the worst teams in the league, and sees attendance number fall in it's second year.

He presented the hypothetical scenario in which we may be in the basement again over the next 2 years (years 3 and 4 of the out clause). If this scenario were to unfold, the teams attendance would most likely continue to decrease, thus decreasing revenue, and increasing losses, which would probably make for cumulative losses much higher than $50 million, thus allowing ownership to relocate the team to a more immediately profitable market.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not a radical suggestion by any means, if we are in fact in the basement again over the next 2 years. A team that loses $34 million, in the first year of a 5 year out clause that allows them to relocate without consequence if the losses add up to $50 million, then becomes one of the worst teams in the league, and sees attendance number fall in it's second year.

He presented the hypothetical scenario in which we may be in the basement again over the next 2 years (years 3 and 4 of the out clause). If this scenario were to unfold, the teams attendance would most likely continue to decrease, thus decreasing revenue, and increasing losses, which would probably make for cumulative losses much higher than $50 million, thus allowing ownership to relocate the team to a more immediately profitable market.

Think positive.:nod: This team is NOT moving. With the expansion fees and new TV deal in Canada now in place and the appreciation of NHL franchisees, this team is staying right here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad