Speculation: Vegas to take McNabb

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As bad as McNabb was most of the time, his hits on Sharp and Borque last seasons are easily Top 10 highlights for me from last season.

That's how bad last season was.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
2014-Mar-05 Traded from Buffalo Sabres with Jonathan Parker, round 2 pick in the 2014 draft (Alex Lintuniemi) and round 2 pick in the 2015 draft (Erik Cernak) to Los Angeles Kings for Hudson Fasching and Nicolas Deslauriers

There's that Erik Cernak guy again! :naughty:

It seemed like a bigger deal at the time, but it could easily end up a bunch of fringe guys. McNabb could easily be the only one of the bunch that puts up any meaningful numbers in the NHL.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Meh, it's not like he's a true rookie. Played in the KHL so he has some pro experience.

Not comparing players because they have different defensive styles but do share a similar path to the NHL, Zaitsev came over to Toronto last year from the KHL and had a very solid "rookie" campaign on the back end for the Buds. Maybe Fantenberg can produce the same type of result.

It would be awesome if Fantenberg did that. Would make it easier for the team to address other needs.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
McNabb had a couple of great stretches of games during his time here. Too bad he couldn't piece it all together consistently because during those stretches there were a lot to like. But in the end he seemed to always take one or two step back for every step forward. Might have given up on him too soon but I doubt he'll ever be able to carry a defensive pairing with his hockey IQ.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
If this proves true, McNabb is one of (likely) 11 or 12 defenseman they take, 4 or 5 of whom get spun off, so who says he even plays for VGK?

It could be as high as 13 D. Since they must select 14 F and 3 G.
And it sounds like he has a lot lined up going to be interesting. This year will have more trades than any in recent memory.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I think the whole "toughness" thing with McNabb is overblown, sure he would throw a big hit every now and then, besides that he was useless. Rather lose him then Lewis

he wasn't entirely useless. he had some stretches where he played some really great hockey followed by stretches where he'd make some real boneheaded plays or get caught completely out of position. I think he's still got a lot of room to improve, its just hard for him to be consistent

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If this proves true, McNabb is one of (likely) 11 or 12 defenseman they take, 4 or 5 of whom get spun off, so who says he even plays for VGK?

Very true, but everything I've read said they see potential in him. I can't imagine he even has value.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
he wasn't entirely useless. he had some stretches where he played some really great hockey followed by stretches where he'd make some real boneheaded plays or get caught completely out of position. I think he's still got a lot of room to improve, its just hard for him to be consistent

When the wheels fell off last season, around the time of the 1-0 loss to Anaheim in Anaheim, I think McNabb was responsible for the GWG against in like three straight games.

I'm not saying this is a big loss and the Kings must not feel that way either since they just let Vegas take whoever they wanted.

I need a physical presence on my defense though. Call me old-fashioned. I really hope MacDermid is ready.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

I agree that he showed flashes of top-4 potential, I just don't think he has the IQ to be a top-4 guy, he's already 26 and never showed much improvement outside of those few stretches

Who knows maybe Gallant can bring out his full potential but I don't see him becoming anything more than he is right now

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I need a physical presence on my defense though. Call me old-fashioned. I really hope MacDermid is ready.

i don't have high hopes personally

if he makes the cut, should make for some very entertaining freeway faceoffs though

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I think the organization will give Gaborik one more year to get healthy and play under a new system, if he gets hurt again or underperforms he'll get LTIRetirement

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
McNabb can't pass, can't skate, and can't shoot. He's also a year away from becoming a UFA. There are plenty of other McNabbs that can be found in the AHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree that he showed flashes of top-4 potential, I just don't think he has the IQ to be a top-4 guy, he's already 26 and never showed much improvement outside of those few stretches

Who knows maybe Gallant can bring out his full potential but I don't see him becoming anything more than he is right now

Yes, which is why gambling on his consistency isn't the worst thing that Vegas could have done.

The previous season, he looked like a surefire #2 for 1/3 of the season, good for the middle 1/3, and a dumpster fire for the last 1/3.

Last season, he looked amazing again, then got hurt and looked the worst we've ever seen him.

He's still relatively young as far as d-men go, and has the raw tools. I agree his IQ isn't great for top pairing duty, and that his physicality was oversold (threw big hits but was a wuss everywhere else on the ice, especially in front of the net). But this board is overly down on him and I think he'll be a good asset wherever he actually ends up.

If I'm being honest, I think a lot of posters are reaching to crap on him because of asset management. I.e. if we didn't trade for him, this negativity parade wouldn't exist. Frankly, Gravel had a rougher time than McNabb last year, and everyone loves him.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Frankly, Gravel had a rougher time than McNabb last year, and everyone loves him.

Eck-Speck-Tay-Shun

Inconsistent defensemen is the last thing an offensively challenged team needs. Kings got depth there and now...$1.7M more space.

Now I will go back into hibernation.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Outside of the occasional hipcheck he was garbage. The "toughness" argument is ridiculous considering he was worthless clearing guys in front of the net. Much rather lose McNabb than Lewis

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad