Speculation: Vegas to take McNabb

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Cue Tikkanen's angry response as Lewis remains on his way to eventually having his jersey retired hahaha.

Seriously though, here is our defense. I'm not getting too accurate with pairings.

Doughty/Forbort
Muzzin/Martinez
Gravel/LaDue/Fantenberg/MacDermid

So what does everyone think about moving one of Martinez/Muzzin when looking at that depth chart? I know McNabb wasn't loved around here but that is a lot--A LOT--of maybes on that blue line.

Edit-

And to JU's point above, there is a real lack of toughness back there. McNabb wasn't McSorley or anything, but we don't have any punishers back there.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Good. McNabb was slow as hell and had plenty of time to grab a spot, but never really reached the next level. I would prefer to see Gravel in a full-time role; he has more upside.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Cue Tikkanen's angry response as Lewis remains on his way to eventually having his jersey retired hahaha.

Seriously though, here is our defense. I'm not getting too accurate with pairings.

Doughty/Forbort
Muzzin/Martinez

So what does everyone think about moving one of Martinez/Muzzin when looking at that depth chart? I know McNabb wasn't loved around here but that is a lot--A LOT--of maybes on that blue line.

I don't think we are going to get much value in return for trading Muzzin/Martinez. Vegas will be hording defenseman some of whom it will trade, which will create higher supply than demand. I would say our only hope now is to sign guys like Vrabata, Jagr, Bonino etc.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If true:

FORBORT DOUGHTY
MUZZIN LADUE
MARTINEZ GRAVEL
FANTENBERG

gone: McNabb, Greene

EDIT: you guys are fast. delete.

I agree with the pairings only I think Fantenberg spends the year in Ontario to get him adjusted to the NHL game rather than watch as the 7th defenseman. He needs to play.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I think the whole "toughness" thing with McNabb is overblown, sure he would throw a big hit every now and then, besides that he was useless. Rather lose him then Lewis

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If Blake wants to win now, getting Methot would help out this soft defense.

Two more years at $4.9MM so he won't take Doughty's money.

Problem is there are probably a lot of teams that are interested.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I agree with the pairings only I think Fantenberg spends the year in Ontario to get him adjusted to the NHL game rather than watch as the 7th defenseman. He needs to play.

Pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere it's NHL or bust for him. If he didn't make the Kings, he would head back to Europe.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I haven't looked at his deeper numbers, and I'm sure someone will tell me he's a league leader in some nonsense like elbow to head hits 5 on 3, but the optics were ugly. He was not good. Some more assets lost for a guy who did absolutely nothing.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013

Doughty/Forbort
Muzzin/Martinez

Edit-

And to JU's point above, there is a real lack of toughness back there. McNabb wasn't McSorley or anything, but we don't have any punishers back there.

I think the defense is better than appears, especially considering Muzzin and Martinez should have bounce back years, but I am uncomfortable with trading away Muzzin or Martinez. That seems to be leaving a lot of inexperience on our lines.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So this is likely where we stand now:

FORWARDS
Right wing: T. Toffoli ($4,600,000) - D. Brown ($5,875,000) - T. Lewis ($2,000,000) - J. Brodzinski ($874,125)
Centre: A. Kopitar ($10,000,000) - J. Carter ($5,272,727) - N. Dowd ($640,000) - N. Shore ($900,000) - J. Nolan ($950,000)
Left wing: T. Pearson ($3,750,000) - M. Gaborik ($4,875,000) - A. Kempe ($894,167) - K. Clifford ($1,600,000) - A. Andreoff ($660,000)

DEFENSE
Right: D. Doughty ($7,000,000) - A. Martinez ($4,000,000) - P. LaDue ($874,125)
Left: J. Muzzin ($4,000,000) - D. Forbort ($650,000) - K. Gravel ($650,000) - O. Fantenberg ($925,000)

GOALTENDER
J. Quick ($5,800,000) - J. Campbell ($612,500)

BUYOUTS
M. Greene ($833,333)

LOST TO EXPANSION DRAFT
B. McNabb ($1,700,000)

RECAPTURE PENALTY & TERMINATION FEES
M. Richards ($1,570,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $75,000,000
Cap Hit: $69,805,977
Cap Space: $5,194,023

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If true:

FORBORT DOUGHTY
MUZZIN LADUE
MARTINEZ GRAVEL
FANTENBERG

gone: McNabb, Greene

EDIT: you guys are fast. delete.

That's the way it will likely be.

If McNabb goes, no way does Muzzin or Martinez get traded (unless another experienced D is picked up). Hard to say if it will affect the Greene buyout, but I don't see the team inserting someone completely green like Fantenberg, barring an outstanding camp. They could fill that spot with a minor move, though.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I haven't looked at his deeper numbers, and I'm sure someone will tell me he's a league leader in some nonsense like elbow to head hits 5 on 3, but the optics were ugly. He was not good. Some more assets lost for a guy who did absolutely nothing.

2014-Mar-05 Traded from Buffalo Sabres with Jonathan Parker, round 2 pick in the 2014 draft (Alex Lintuniemi) and round 2 pick in the 2015 draft (Erik Cernak) to Los Angeles Kings for Hudson Fasching and Nicolas Deslauriers

There's that Erik Cernak guy again! :naughty:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I'll miss his hipchecks.

and that's about it for me.. it was nice to have a consistent threat to lay someone out at the blue line but the rest of his game left something to be desired

i guess the team is better off as a whole losing him instead of lewis?

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
2014-Mar-05 Traded from Buffalo Sabres with Jonathan Parker, round 2 pick in the 2014 draft (Alex Lintuniemi) and round 2 pick in the 2015 draft (Erik Cernak) to Los Angeles Kings for Hudson Fasching and Nicolas Deslauriers

There's that Erik Cernak guy again! :naughty:

Killer asset management, again.

DL did some decent asset management in a different trade that day, if I remember correctly.

Funny that the trade he made for the future was trash just like the future wound up being after 2014.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
That's the way it will likely be.

If McNabb goes, no way does Muzzin or Martinez get traded (unless another experienced D is picked up). Hard to say if it will affect the Greene buyout, but I don't see the team inserting someone completely green like Fantenberg, barring an outstanding camp. They could fill that spot with a minor move, though.

Meh, it's not like he's a true rookie. Played in the KHL so he has some pro experience.

Not comparing players because they have different defensive styles but do share a similar path to the NHL, Zaitsev came over to Toronto last year from the KHL and had a very solid "rookie" campaign on the back end for the Buds. Maybe Fantenberg can produce the same type of result.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm almost positive Fantenberg was brought in as insurance in case McNabb was selected. It makes trading away Muzzin/Martinez tougher as the depth is really thin if you get rid of either of those guys after losing McNabb. I''m beginning to think more and more that we are going to have to rely on our young guys this season rather than bringing in another top 6 forward.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
and that's about it for me.. it was nice to have a consistent threat to lay someone out at the blue line but the rest of his game left something to be desired

i guess the team is better off as a whole losing him instead of lewis?

I would say so, Lewis would have been a lot harder to replace in the bottom six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad