Vegas Major Call

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It was a cross-check. This clip shows it perfectly but it should have never been a major and it is a borderline minor at best.

image.gif

Seeing that clip, yeah, it's a cross check. Barely. Again, the lost balance, and contact with Stastny is what caused the injury, and it should have never, in 1000 years, been a major.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I just googled a bunch of faceoffs and not once does anyone do what Eakins did except Kesler who cross checks the **** out of someone from behind

Here's an entire game of faceoffs and it doesn't happen.

If that happened all the time then Pavelski would have been ready for it, guy has been in the league 13 years

I don't know how anyone with a straight face can say this isn't a cross check

image.gif

I agree that pushing happens but Eakins isn't in a faceoff position here. He lost the faceoff and strides at Pavelski. Pushing does happen as guys battle for faceoffs, what Eakins did doesn't happen all the time.

Googling faceoffs. I'm sure there's a ton of video out there for an event that, 90% of the time, is completely uneventful. :laugh:

Even so, three faceoffs into the Bruins/Flyers game proved you wrong...

Not in a faceoff position??? HIS BOTTOM HAND IS STILL TURNED. Pavelski doesn't stumble backwards because he's not ready. He stumbles because, just as Eakins pushes him, he is on ONE DAMN LEG... Look at Pavelski lift his left skate to stride backwards, and look at the angle of that skate as it touches the ice. If he doesn't stumble right into Stastny as he's trying to get through to the shooter, nothing comes of this play. It looked way worse than it was because it was, unfortunately, a perfect storm of events. If anything, STASTNY is to blame for Pavelski getting injured. He's the one that threw him out of the way.

P.S. The majority of the offensive zone draws in that Boston/Philly game were lost, so of course you're not going to see many examples of this.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Is Pavelski off balance before the contact? I don't know if I really see that. I have no dog in this fight, just looking at it. His left foot is slightly off the ice like he's taking a step but he doesn't look off balance until he's hit. Regardless, much ado about nothing at this point. That's not a major, think we can all agree on that.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is Pavelski off balance before the contact? I don't know if I really see that. I have no dog in this fight, just looking at it. His left foot is slightly off the ice like he's taking a step but he doesn't look off balance until he's hit. Regardless, much ado about nothing at this point.

He isn't off balance, per se, but he is certainly not in a hockey stance. He's mid weight transfer from right to left leg as Eakins pushes. And again, he probably doesn't even fall if Stastny isn't there. I'm really not sure what Pavelski was even doing there, to be honest. He was almost trying to get out of Eakins way...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He isn't off balance, per se, but he is certainly not in a hockey stance. He's mid weight transfer from right to left leg as Eakins pushes. And again, he probably doesn't even fall if Stastny isn't there. I'm really not sure what Pavelski was even doing there, to be honest. He was almost trying to get out of Eakins way...

Odd play all around.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Wasn't the Vegas PK perfect before that 5min major? A 5min major completely changes the mindset of the players on the ice in both directions. Their PK was playing very well up until that point. Not saying they should have let in 4 goals, but calling that penalty changes the dynamic ten fold in the other direction, especially for a team on the brink of elimination in Game 7.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
If you slew foot a guy and he falls down and is fine, you'll get a tripping (just happened in the Carolina/Capitals game 6). If he falls down and is injured you're probably getting suspended.

Majors, officially, are only to be called when there is a clear attempt to injure. Slew foots are clear attempts to injure. Cross checks to the neck are clear attempts to injure. Cross checking another player’s stick is not a clear attempt to injure. I understand a penalty for the cross check to stick (though it is ticky tack) but that was nowhere close to major penalty material.

Also Eakins clearly charges forward

Charges forward? What?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
First couple of times I saw the replay I thought his right arm/hand/part of the stick made contact up near the collarbone/neck. At regular speed it looks like it, but slowed down it's actually lower than that. That makes a difference for me.

In real time I thought it may have been a butt end. I stick with my original assessment: a minor to Statsny or no penalty call at all.

Reactions: BK and ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It wasn't a shove or a push.
It was a crosscheck, which is a penalty.

If you commit a penalty and the opposing player gets injured because of it, the refs are going to call a major.

So if Kane gets tripped by an opposing player... a routine tripping call, and falls awkwardly and breaks his ankle, or tears his ACL.... you'd call for a 5 minute major? Sound logic.

Doubling down even after the NHL has basically said it was bad...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I was a bad call, but it's not like the refs just awarded San Jose 4 goals.

I do believe, and I may have to check the records... that 5 minute majors have happened in the NHL before WITHOUT giving up 4 goals.

It's a bad look for the NHL, but it's an equally bad look for Vegas.

They can say the refs and the NHL should be embarrassed for the call, and they're right. The Vegas Golden Knights should be embarrassed for how they responded.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad