Vegas Major Call

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I really don't know how anyone can argue that should not have been a minor. That was a blatant, high cross-check and 100% warranted a minor penalty. A major? No, that's a bit much and was not good. With that said, if you give four f***ing goals on a 5 minute PK you deserve to lose a game, bad call or not.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I really don't know how anyone can argue that should not have been a minor. That was a blatant, high cross-check and 100% warranted a minor penalty. A major? No, that's a bit much and was not good. With that said, if you give four ****ing goals on a 5 minute PK you deserve to lose a game, bad call or not.

I'm not arguing it shouldn't have been a minor. I'm arguing it shouldn't have been a major/match penalty due to Pavelski losing his balance and cracking his head on the ice, just to clarify. And I'm arguing that play happens all the time on faceoffs. Because it does. If Pavelski doesn't fall and crack his head wide open, there's no call on that play. And I can guarantee it, considering not a single refs' hand went up.

Reactions: Geoist

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
You can only get a major penalty from a cross check if the cross check is a severe cross check, not because the opponent was injured. It wasn't a severe cross check.

It's one of the worst calls ever, and anyone defending it doesn't know **** about the rules.

this; in addition to the fact that there was NO penalty called originally, both refs arms were NOT up to signal a penalty when the play was completed and Pavelski smacked his head on the ground.

After the fact the officials see pavelski on the ice and try to GUESS what happened and they guessed wrong.

It is the worst call ever IMO, Vegas got shafted beyond belief

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm not arguing it shouldn't have been a minor. I'm arguing it shouldn't have been a major/match penalty due to Pavelski losing his balance and cracking his head on the ice, just to clarify. And I'm arguing that play happens all the time on faceoffs. Because it does. If Pavelski doesn't fall and crack his head wide open, there's no call on that play. And I can guarantee it, considering not a single refs' hand went up.
isn't it Stastny that pretty much gets Pavs off balance and knocked to the ground?? Eakin got the major but looked like Stastny did the actual damage unless I saw it wrong..

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Wasn't directed at you, I've just seen a lot of people say all over saying nothing should have been called at all. That was definitely a penalty, I just don't think it warranted a Major.

I'm not so sure that's an "always" play on faceoffs. There's a lot of contact and chippyness off the draw but that was a blatant, cock-back and step forward cross check that almost came up to his face/head. Either way, we ultimately agree that a Major was probably a bit much for this instance. But giving up four goals is a joke and if I were a Vegas fan I'd be a lot more focused on that. That's embarrassing.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You can only get a major penalty from a cross check if the cross check is a severe cross check, not because the opponent was injured. It wasn't a severe cross check.

It's one of the worst calls ever, and anyone defending it doesn't know **** about the rules.

Here's the actual rule

Rule 59 – Cross-checking
59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.
59.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent.
59.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).

The ref saw a cross check that resulted in a knocked out player. It doesn't say you have to cross check someone in the head I mean Jamie Benn got a major for this

For me it wasn't a major, but I can see why the refs called it. All I said was it's not an unreasonable call based on what happened in real time. Ref sees Eakins stride at a guy, cross check him and send him over where he hits his head on the ice and is knocked unconscious.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wasn't directed at you, I've just seen a lot of people say all over saying nothing should have been called at all. That was definitely a penalty, I just don't think it warranted a Major.

I'm not so sure that's an "always" play on faceoffs. There's a lot of contact and chippyness off the draw but that was a blatant, cock-back and step forward cross check that almost came up to his face/head. Either way, we ultimately agree that a Major was probably a bit much for this instance. But giving up four goals is a joke and if I were a Vegas fan I'd be a lot more focused on that. That's embarrassing.

Always was hyperbole. It happens a lot because centers always have two hands on their stick. Anytime you go to tie the opposing center up, and push him off the puck, to allow a wing to come across for a shot, you're going to cross-push him with your stick in a similar way.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Here's the actual rule

Rule 59 – Cross-checking
59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.
59.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent.
59.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).

The ref saw a cross check that resulted in a knocked out player. It doesn't say you have to cross check someone in the head I mean Jamie Benn got a major for this

For me it wasn't a major, but I can see why the refs called it. All I said was it's not an unreasonable call based on what happened in real time. Ref sees Eakins stride at a guy, cross check him and send him over where he hits his head on the ice and is knocked unconscious.

Real time? Not a single hand went up to call a penalty. The penalty was called after the officials all convened and decided after the fact, seeing Pavelski's injury, that it should be a penalty. Just stop.

And you're gonna quote the f***ing rules? Like guys aren't cross checked on every. single. play, even in the regular season? How many times does a guy get a stick across the back and get shoved in front of the net, with no call? How many times do guys jostling for possession along the boards get shoved with a two-handed stick across the back? It was a similar play that is seen 1000's of times throughout an NHL season, that was given a major and match penalty due to the injury/outcome, and nothing more. It was a terrible call. It should have been a 2 minute minor (at most) for cross checking, and nothing more. Not even close. Players have two hands on their stick the majority of the time... when you shove a guy with two hands on the stick, it's inevitable that the stick will be used to shove someone...

Reactions: OTC

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Here's the actual rule

Rule 59 – Cross-checking

Yes, based of the severity of the CONTACT. Not the severity of the injury caused from him hitting the ice because he got tangled up with another player after the actual cross check.
The refs guessed at what happened, and neither of them even saw the actual cross check.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If Pavelski doesn't fall and crack his head wide open, there's no call on that play. And I can guarantee it, considering not a single refs' hand went up.

But here's the problem, there was an injury. The result of the play matters. When Hossa tried to win the puck and tripped the Predators player into the boards, thats probably not a major if the guy doesn't get hurt. Even if you watch the supplemental discipline videos, they specifically talk about whether or not a play resulted in an injury when making a determination about the severity of a call. Guys get cross checked from behind all the time around the boards. If they fall and go face first and are a bloody mess, there's a good chance the guy that did the cross checking is going to get a major. You can complain about the system, but thats the system. Hell they call slashing penalties on whether or not a stick breaks.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Here's the actual rule

Rule 59 – Cross-checking

there was no call, no arm up, no intent or thought of calling a minor at all, until pavelski hit his head on the ice after he collided with Stastny.....

the refs were scared shitless of seeing a bit of blood on the ice and figured that they would make up a call cause someone was lying on the ice and not moving.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Or they talked to the linesmen which is what they are supposed to do.

This is true, down to even the youth levels in a 3-man system. Linesmen can't call penalties but they can tell the referee their view of something that warrants a major penalty if the referee was unable to see it or had a clear view, etc. Referees are also allowed (and encouraged) to discuss with linesemen what they saw on a particular play and can use what they say as reason for calling a penalty, even after the fact.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I can't believe you are defending this still. If the linesman saw the whole thing, then they are just as much to blame for the ****ty call as the refs.

Literally its the actual rules. Lots of experts in this thread that actually don't know what they are talking about

Rule 503

(a) The duties of the “LINESMAN” are to determine any infractions of the rules concerning off-side play at the blue lines or any violation of the “Icing the Puck” rule. He shall, when requested to do so by the Referee, give his version of any incident that may have taken place during the playing of the game.

(e) The Linesman shall report to the Referee at the next stoppage of play his version of any infraction of the rules that he believes constitutes a bench minor, major, match, misconduct, game misconduct or penalty shot under these rules.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Literally its the actual rules. Lots of experts in this thread that actually don't know what they are talking about

Rule 503

(a) The duties of the “LINESMAN” are to determine any infractions of the rules concerning off-side play at the blue lines or any violation of the “Icing the Puck” rule. He shall, when requested to do so by the Referee, give his version of any incident that may have taken place during the playing of the game.

(e) The Linesman shall report to the Referee at the next stoppage of play his version of any infraction of the rules that he believes constitutes a bench minor, major, match, misconduct, game misconduct or penalty shot under these rules.
I know the rules, and I know what the linesmen can do. What makes you think I don't know this? What I also know, that you don't seem to know, is that the cross check Eakin delivered should never be given a major penalty because it wasn't a severe cross check at all. It was a shitty call.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I know the rules, and I know what the linesmen can do. What makes you think I don't know this? What I also know, that you don't seem to know, is that the cross check Eakin delivered should never be given a major penalty because it wasn't a severe cross check at all. It was a ****ty call.

He's a coach in Missouri! He should quote rules to everyone, especially people who played the game their whole lives. :laugh:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Oh shit they released a statement specifically referencing the injury just like I’ve been saying

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Oh **** they released a statement specifically referencing the injury just like I’ve been saying
Please tell me the last time a ref supervisor came out and said the refs got the call wrong. And he didn't say whether the call was right or wrong, he just said that's why the refs called it. Those refs were wrong, as shown by every f***ing replay that has been shown.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
In fairness, most players and coaches know **** all about most of the rules or their interpretations. :laugh:

I'd disagree. These days, many coaches and former players also ref at some level... Half a dozen guys on my men's league teams do. But I'd say the guys playing the game do actually know the rules still... Also, check your damn PMs. :laugh:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'd disagree. These days, many coaches and former players also ref at some level... Half a dozen guys on my men's league teams do.

Fair enough. Wasn't aware of that many coaching and reffing at the same time. I'm referring more to people who are actively still playing at a competitive level (youth, junior, college, pro, etc). Most of those players know the game as a player, they don't really know the intricacies of the rules or how they're interpreted. Hence 90% of players at every level never thinking they deserved a penalty they were called for even when it's blatantly obvious haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad