Vegas Major Call

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
So if Kane gets tripped by an opposing player... a routine tripping call, and falls awkwardly and breaks his ankle, or tears his ACL.... you'd call for a 5 minute major? Sound logic. :laugh:

Doubling down even after the NHL has basically said it was bad...

giphy.gif

Yes, I call the 5 minute major.
In my opinion the nHL are cowards for not defending their refs who called it exactly as the NHL has been telling them to call it.

Penalty + injury = major

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I was a bad call, but it's not like the refs just awarded Vegas 4 goals.

I do believe, and I may have to check the records... that 5 minute majors have happened in the NHL before WITHOUT giving up 4 goals.

It's a bad look for the NHL, but it's an equally bad look for Vegas.

They can say the refs and the NHL should be embarrassed for the call, and they're right. The Vegas Golden Knights should be embarrassed for how they responded.

Which is what everyone is saying, minus one or two people who somehow think it should be a major penalty... :huh::loony:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
See above for one of said people...

Yeah, I'm catching up. I won't bother piling on, everybody has made the points I would.

I disagree. I think it was a bad call.

If the argument is that the NHL has told referees to take injury into account on calls, ok, but we have no way of knowing that. I can't say it's COMPLETELY crazy, because I feel that's exactly how the NHL rules when it comes to suspensions...

If it is true, hypothetically, I disagree with it, because huge infractions can cause zero injury while minor infractions can cause major injury.

So if outrage over this event calls attention to that hypothetical standard, then I hope the standard changes.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I'd argue eakin should have gotten 2 minutes for cross checking and stastny 2 minutes for interference. 5 on 3 pp. As much as people like to say "loses his balance", stastny basically drove pavelski into the ice and caused that injury. Even the Vegas announcers said "he slammed pavelski s head into the ice".

Overall result has always mattered when assessing penalties.

Did bertuzzi mean to break Moore's neck? No, he meant to punch him in the face. But he fell on top and drove his head into the ice breaking his neck. A zillion players have thrown a sucker punch and not gotten that stiff a penalization because the end result wasn't epic catastrophy

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'd argue eakin should have gotten 2 minutes for cross checking and stastny 2 minutes for interference. 5 on 3 pp. As much as people like to say "loses his balance", stastny basically drove pavelski into the ice and caused that injury. Even the Vegas announcers said "he slammed pavelski s head into the ice".

Did bertuzzi mean to break Moore's neck? No, he meant to punch him in the face. But he fell on top and drove his head into the ice breaking his neck. A zillion players have thrown a sucker punch and not gotten that stiff a penalization because the end result wasn't epic catastrophy

Yeah... these two incidents aren't comparable. You're comparing apples and potatoes, it's that far off...

It wasn't a major penalty, and is borderline on if it's even a penalty at all.

Sharks got a gift, and the only thing that says otherwise is blind homerism.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Who gives a damn? It was a 5 minute major to a team down by 3 goals in the third period. Vegas **** the bed hard.

People acting like it was a bad no goal or vice versa in a tied OT game are ridiculous. That's the whole beauty of the penalty in hockey is the onus is on your team to capitalize or kill it, it doesn't decide the game. If anything, a goal or maybe two would have made it interesting but that isn't how it played out.

Far worse was the awful No-Goal in the Detroit/Hawks series against Hjalmarsson at the end of the game. But, luckily we got another goal to make up for it, thus having to win the game twice.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Yes, I call the 5 minute major.
In my opinion the nHL are cowards for not defending their refs who called it exactly as the NHL has been telling them to call it.

The NHL defends its refs on a regular basis. If they are silent/not defending them then there is good reason for it.

Penalty + injury = major

Well, of course... if the offender showed clear intent to injure.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Bold: Yes his intent was to injure him. This is why he jumped him. The two incidents are nothing alike.

Sorry but Pavelski's head was not slammed into the ice by PS. It was incidental contact that was not close to a penalty. It sucks he got hurt but there shouldn't have even really been anything more than a 2 minute penalty and even that is a stretch.

You need to take off the homer goggles.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Two referees who made controversial Golden Knights-Sharks Game 7 penalty call won't officiate second round

The refs explanation to Gallant confirms my suspicion of what happened on the play. They said Pavelski got cross checked in the head when if you look at the replay you can CLEARLY see that diddnt happen.

My assumption was that the ref saw a slight cross check off the face off and correctly deamed it was not worthy of an infraction in the third period of a game 7. He missed Pavelski go down and saw the blood and he wasn’t getting up an just infered that the blood came from the cross check and not the fall.

Refs making calls based on inferences and not what they see was always a hot button issue with me. You can’t call what you don’t see.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The refs never had their hand up. There wasn't a delayed penalty. They saw Pavs down and stopped play. They saw how bad Pavs was hurt and assumed (incorrectly) that it must have been caused by a dirty play. That can't happen.

Last edited:

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
The refs never had their hand up. There wasn't a delayed penalty. They saw Pavs down and stopped play. They saw how bad it Pavs was hurt and assumed (incorrectly) that it must have been caused by a dirty play. That can't happen.

That happens a lot.

Off the top of my head:

Kronwall on Havlat.
Roszival on Tucker.
etc.

No initial call but they see an injury so it ends up being 5 and a game.
It's no coincidence, this is how it's been for years.

Reactions: ConorMcGregor

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Bold: Yes his intent was to injure him. This is why he jumped him. The two incidents are nothing alike.

Sorry but Pavelski's head was not slammed into the ice by PS. It was incidental contact that was not close to a penalty. It sucks he got hurt but there shouldn't have even really been anything more than a 2 minute penalty and even that is a stretch.

You need to take off the homer goggles.

I disagree.

You're parading on an illogical foundation that the refs call the game well. They don't and we all know it. They "hide the whistles" in the playoffs then make a blatant call they can't ignore, or a bad call, then they eventually play catch up all game long. Sometimes it's a bit lopsided sometimes not.

In this instance they probably saw multiple players make contact in real time with a guy right before he slams his head on the ice. Lots of blood, major injury, guy gets carried out....and the refs overreact with a 5 minute major yet they are most likely fully aware of the lopsided score.

Sure, it's not the right call but it's no excuse for the 4 consecutive goals by San Jose.

If it were a tie game, or 1 goal game I'd be pissed off but this isn't something unheard of when contact leads to bloody injury & an incapacitated player regardless of the rule book. To get hung up on this call, one should have a hard time stomaching every game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I disagree.

You're parading on an illogical foundation that the refs call the game well. They don't and we all know it. They "hide the whistles" in the playoffs then make a blatant call they can't ignore, or a bad call, then they eventually play catch up all game long. Sometimes it's a bit lopsided sometimes not.

In this instance they probably saw multiple players make contact in real time with a guy right before he slams his head on the ice. Lots of blood, major injury, guy gets carried out....and the refs overreact with a 5 minute major yet they are most likely fully aware of the lopsided score.

Sure, it's not the right call but it's no excuse for the 4 consecutive goals by San Jose.

If it were a tie game, or 1 goal game I'd be pissed off but this isn't something unheard of when contact leads to bloody injury & an incapacitated player regardless of the rule book. To get hung up on this call, one should have a hard time stomaching every game.

Bold: Please showcase anywhere where I have said or implied this. The reality is that you think people have this notion but it is not true at all. I am not sure anyone other than than Sharks fan thought they got the call correct.

Maybe you quoted the wrong person?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The refs never had their hand up. There wasn't a delayed penalty. They saw Pavs down and stopped play. They saw how bad Pavs was hurt and assumed (incorrectly) that it must have been caused by a dirty play. That can't happen.

Precisely. Well said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad