Vegas Major Call

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Fair enough. Wasn't aware of that many coaching and reffing at the same time. I'm referring more to people who are actively still playing at a competitive level (youth, junior, college, pro, etc). Most of those players know the game as a player, they don't really know the intricacies of the rules or how they're interpreted. Hence 90% of players at every level never thinking they deserved a penalty they were called for even when it's blatantly obvious haha.

:thumbu: Probably pretty accurate. I mean... we know the rules, just don't agree with how they're interpreted sometimes.

Although... one of our refs in our men's league is terrible with the interpretations...

I wear a half shield... got high sticked when I took a shot. The defenders stick rode up my stick shaft as I was releasing the puck, and clipped me in the mouth. He said it was no penalty because it was on a follow-through... :laugh:

I'm like... WTF? The interpretation of the rule is that I can't get a high stick on a follow-through if I hit a guy in the face. Not that a player who is not in control of his stick hits me in the face when he's trying to make a defensive play... If I were just stickhandling, and not taking a shot, and he went to pokecheck, and his stick rode up mine into my face, it would still be a high stick...

Another example of him...

Guy sticks his stick between the legs of one of our players, and he gets tripped a couple games ago. Same ref says "His intent wasn't to trip him, so I didn't call a trip." Like WTF? :laugh: Intent doesn't matter on a tripping call...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I reffed for about 15 years. Started when I was 15 and stopped around 30. I don't miss it one bit haha. It was a good source of income for many years, though. And taught me to see the game a little differently.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Please tell me the last time a ref supervisor came out and said the refs got the call wrong. And he didn't say whether the call was right or wrong, he just said that's why the refs called it. Those refs were wrong, as shown by every ****ing replay that has been shown.

NCAA officials admit bad call in Duke title game

NFL admits blown call to Sean Payton after NFC Championship

NFL admits to huge officiating mistake against the Browns in overtime loss to Raiders

NHL admits to mistake on goal review call in Colorado - Sportsnet.ca

And there's even something just like this

NHL Admits Wrong Call On Stollery Major Against Montreal

Former Merrimack defenseman and current New Jersey Devil Karl Stollery was assessed a five-minute major on Friday night in a game against the Montreal Canadiens after he hit Nathan Beaulieu in the corner. Originally deemed a hit from behind, New Jersey head coach John Hynes said the NHL referee-in-chief let him know on Saturday that it was the wrong call.
“I got a call from the referee-in-chief today. They reviewed that call last night. He said it wasn’t the right call,” Hynes said. “They sent video clips to the referees to go over that. I respect that by the referee-in-chief. Like anyone, they are trying to work to get better. It was a mistake by the referee. It’s live action…
“At least there’s clarification to our players of what is and what isn’t (a penalty) and what should’ve been called. That’s much appreciated and professional.”
The call was controversial, because the Canadiens scored two power-play goals on the major to Stollery.

Reactions: ndgt10

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That call was so bad. Vegas giving up 4 goals on the ensuing PK was almost just as bad. The worst part of the call is the refs clearly didn't see it at all. There was no hand up at all. They saw he was badly hurt and gave a 5 minute major because of it. That's 2 minutes at best, but really that's a play that goes uncalled 90% of the time in the playoffs. Such a shitty way to lose for Vegas.

The ensuing comeback and OT was thrilling to watch though.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
He's a coach in Missouri! He should quote rules to everyone, especially people who played the game their whole lives. :laugh:

Yes, you are the only person that has played their entire life on this entire forum. I'm sure topping out in Tier 2 juniors gives you insight that....checks notes....almost everyone on this board has.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
NCAA officials admit bad call in Duke title game

NFL admits blown call to Sean Payton after NFC Championship

NFL admits to huge officiating mistake against the Browns in overtime loss to Raiders

NHL admits to mistake on goal review call in Colorado - Sportsnet.ca

And there's even something just like this

NHL Admits Wrong Call On Stollery Major Against Montreal

Former Merrimack defenseman and current New Jersey Devil Karl Stollery was assessed a five-minute major on Friday night in a game against the Montreal Canadiens after he hit Nathan Beaulieu in the corner. Originally deemed a hit from behind, New Jersey head coach John Hynes said the NHL referee-in-chief let him know on Saturday that it was the wrong call.
“I got a call from the referee-in-chief today. They reviewed that call last night. He said it wasn’t the right call,” Hynes said. “They sent video clips to the referees to go over that. I respect that by the referee-in-chief. Like anyone, they are trying to work to get better. It was a mistake by the referee. It’s live action…
“At least there’s clarification to our players of what is and what isn’t (a penalty) and what should’ve been called. That’s much appreciated and professional.”
The call was controversial, because the Canadiens scored two power-play goals on the major to Stollery.

So... 2,542 games per season. You find two instances of this in the past two seasons, or 5,084 games, and somehow think it proves your point? His point was that it's rare.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
In fairness, most players and coaches know **** all about most of the rules or their interpretations. :laugh:

This is true and when they have the head of USA hockey officiating come in and talk to coaches he always says that. That players/coaches think they know the rules, but they actually have no idea.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yes, you are the only person that has played their entire life on this entire forum. I'm sure topping out in Tier 2 juniors gives you insight that....checks notes....almost everyone on this board has.

Never said that, but you go around quoting rules as if no one on here knows them. That's why I said that.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Guy sticks his stick between the legs of one of our players, and he gets tripped a couple games ago. Same ref says "His intent wasn't to trip him, so I didn't call a trip." Like WTF? :laugh: Intent doesn't matter on a tripping call...

Legit had a ref say that to me during one of our games this past year. My assistant coach's head exploded.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

So... 2,542 games per season. You find two instances of this in the past two seasons, or 5,084 games, and somehow think it proves your point? His point was that it's rare.

His actual words were

"Please tell me the last time a ref supervisor came out and said the refs got the call wrong. "

It happens a lot, the list wasn't exhaustive.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Champions find ways to overcome, losers look for excuses and things to blame.

I liken this to the Bears in the playoff game versus the Eagles. Yes, Parkey deserved a lot of blame as do the refs in this situation.... but our offense did absolutely nothing all night for the most part back then and in the most critical moment the Knights were just historically horrific on the prolonged PK.

I completely understand that a five minute major changes everything, but we're not talking about giving up a goal or two in that situation, but four. Them being put into that situation stunk, but they're the ones that turned lemons into anthrax somehow for those five minutes.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Our whole bench's heads about exploded... like WTF, are you drunk already dude? :laugh:

That's hilarious. I can think of many instances where I heard "ugh, I didn't mean to do that" and I'd actually be like "i actually know you didn't mean to, but you still did it and it's still a penalty". A trip is a trip is a trip.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I really don't know how anyone can argue that should not have been a minor. That was a blatant, high cross-check and 100% warranted a minor penalty. A major? No, that's a bit much and was not good. With that said, if you give four ****ing goals on a 5 minute PK you deserve to lose a game, bad call or not.

This.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's hilarious. I can think of many instances where I heard "ugh, I didn't mean to do that" and I'd actually be like "i actually know you didn't mean to, but you still did it and it's still a penalty". A trip is a trip is a trip.

What made it worse was that he'll sometimes hang out and drink with us after the games(depends on if it's his last one or not), and he doubled down on it to us over beers... :laugh:

Reactions: Blue Liner

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
His actual words were

"Please tell me the last time a ref supervisor came out and said the refs got the call wrong. "

It happens a lot, the list wasn't exhaustive.
I was referring to the NHL.

And my point was, it rarely, rarely happens, yet you say it happens a lot and you gave me two instances. Lets wait and see what a guy like Kerry Fraser says about it.

It was a shit call, and there is no way you can defend it. I'm done.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Champions find ways to overcome, losers look for excuses and things to blame.

I liken this to the Bears in the playoff game versus the Eagles. Yes, Parkey deserved a lot of blame as do the refs in this situation.... but our offense did absolutely nothing all night for the most part back then and in the most critical moment the Knights were just historically horrific on the prolonged PK.

I completely understand that a five minute major changes everything, but we're not talking about giving up a goal or two in that situation, but four. Them being put into that situation stunk, but they're the ones that turned lemons into anthrax somehow for those five minutes.

Exactly, or as I like to say, "Great teams find ways to win in spite of the tedious interference of the officials."

See also: Detroit series, 2013.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Horrible call followed up by a worse PK. If I were a Knights fan I'd be equally mad at both the refs for the reactionary bs call and my team for folding.
I hate to say it being a Cubs fan. The Team imploded and the coach Dusty Baker didn't calm the team. The call was made now be a coach, his first move should've been to take Prior out of the game. Prior a young kid at the time was caught up in the moment and your pitcher. Your gold glove short stop muffs a routine ground ball and you blame it on a geek fan. About 4 fans were trying to get that ball. You can argue the refs call maybe a 4 min minor for Eakin, regardless the call was made the coach needs to keep the teams composure in check. I would've used my timeout after the first power play goal to slow down SJ momentum. Vegas tied it up brand new game.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
To the untrained eye, the major penalty appeared too harsh. That said, how do you give up 4 goals in 4 minutes even if it is on the power play? I'd understand if Vegas gave up 2 goals on the major and then a game tying goal in the final minutes. However, this is 4 goals in 4 minutes ... and ultimately, that only took the game to overtime. Vegas deserved to lose. That overrides any complaint of a bad call.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
This is true and when they have the head of USA hockey officiating come in and talk to coaches he always says that. That players/coaches think they know the rules, but they actually have no idea.
I was watching my son ref a game, team was down a goal with 30 sec. left they called a time out. I knew the play the coach wanted. I even told my other child with me the goalie was coming out and the extra skater would comeoff the opposite end of bench skate down and try to score. Guess what they scored the place errupted. Mean time my son was waving his hands blowing the whistle ( no goal) illegal substitution, the goalie wasnt even 5 feet from the bench before the player was off to the races. The coach goes right for my son and was in his face. He told my son thats the refs job when to tell the player/skater he can leave the bench. What a dumb ass coach. I did over hear in the crowd from parents from losing team who may have played: good call by the ref

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a team giving up 4 goals in a 5 minute major and I've been watching since the mid 80s. That's a monumental collapse even if it was a bad call.
Someone just reminded me of the Sean O'donnell major back in the day. I think it happened there too.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
hey guys...did we all forget that the Leafs still lost???? bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....just focus on the positives my friends!!!!
Yes, the Leafs lost :thumbu:. But unfortunately the Bruins won. :thumbd:

Best case scenario would’ve been both eliminated!

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That crosscheck on the face off is a move you only pull in game 7 of the finals with a 1 goal lead. Messier pulled it on Bure in 1994, and Bure responded with a swing of the stick that would have made Paul Bunyan proud but it didn't connect. But it was a face off with about two seconds to play and all he needed to do was prevent a shot from coming through. Why Eakin even reacted like this I don't know.

Reactions: Illinihockey

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As I said in the other thread: I think the only penalty should have been a minor to Statsny for interference -he clearly came in late. If Statsny doesn't intervene Pavelski was likely not to have been hurt. The cross-check was as much of a push as anything - something we see uncalled many times in a game.

Another example of a huge overreaction when the player doesn't jump back to his feet.

Reactions: OTC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad