Vegas Cinderella story is over

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
I predicted Vegas to be a bottom 5 team this season during their last season when they were breaking records.

Vegas was simply riding a wave of momentum, they had been told all summer how terrible their team was going to be, it’s called bulletin board material and it has a massive effect.

The entire team was also made up of players who who exposed by their teams in the expansion draft, so every night there was always one player who was in his old city and the team wanted to help them get a win and prove that team wrong for exposing them.

Vegas is assuming it’s proper place as an expansion team.
Still wanting to crow about your prediction?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I don’t see them winning the West this season, regular season, but they’re not going to be far behind. A slow start had a lot of people completely writing them off but look at them now. They don’t have a McDavid or Benn and Seguin (my team the Stars) but they look more like a full team than others in the West with bigger stars and top players.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not to mention San Jose isn't exactly some unstoppable juggernaut this year either.

Well now that Karlsson is Karlsson again..

But yeah Vegas is sitting pretty well again now too. Top 3 in the division.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
The Golden Knights are now where they are supposed to be.

Add it to a miracle they were able to create last year.

I'm just wondering, was last year really a Cinderella story? As far as I remember they never faced any adversity. They broke several records on best starts for a new team. For me a Cinderella story is about a person or team that faces hard adversity and goes through struggles to turn it around and find great success.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I think it’s time to accept that Vegas is just a solid team that is well coached. They aren’t title favorites but they will make the playoffs and could be a dark horse if they get healthy.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm just wondering, was last year really a Cinderella story? As far as I remember they never faced any adversity. They broke several records on best starts for a new team. For me a Cinderella story is about a person or team that faces hard adversity and goes through struggles to turn it around and find great success.
The Knights ran through like 17 goalies last season.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Alex Tuch currently leads the team in scoring (31pts) despite playing 8 fewer games than Marchessault and Karlsson (30pts each)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Knights ran through like 17 goalies last season.
At one point they had to emergency call up a goalie prospect from the WHL because both their starter, backup, and their AHL starter and backup were injured.

Not to mention that after February and until the playoffs there wasn't a single game where they didn't have at least two of Marchesseault, Smith, Perron, Haula, Tuch, or Neal injured.

Sorry Magnus, but if you can say they didn't face any adversity then you simply weren't paying attention.

But beyond that, your definition of a Cinderalla story really doesn't apply to what its typically used for. A Cinderella story is when a team that no one relying on conventional wisdom and expectation reasonably expects that team to go on an improbable run. All you have to do is actually liken it to the story of Cinderella itself. Plain girl locked up by an evil adoptive family that no one in their right mind would think would ever rise up and join the royal family does so simply by attending a ball and catching the eye of a prince. An otherwise unlikely rise in socioeconomic stratum happens because hey, magic and storytelling.

The 1980 Miracle on Ice team is the best example of a Cinderella story in sport...with the actual game against the USSR being a David and Goliath moment. A team of college kids up against pros from Europe were put together to try to win Gold with the most dominant international hockey team of all time in their way. No one thought they could do it and they did. The only actual adversity they faced other than being young and inexperienced was being clownpounded in an exhibition game by the Soviets prior to the start of the Olympics.

Being a Cinderella story isn't defined by the degree of adversity a team faced. Vegas' season was a Cinderella story because most people thought they'd finish with a draft lottery pick and instead won and won and won all the way to the fastest Stanley Cup finals appearance in league history.

Reactions: Sk8M8

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Alex Tuch currently leads the team in scoring (31pts) despite playing 8 fewer games than Marchessault and Karlsson (30pts each)
Brandon Pirri also has 9 goals in 9 career VGK games played, which as a fan of the Ducks prior to the Knights even existing and seeing how one dimensional the guy was in that stint, continues to shock me.

But back to Tuch, this is exactly what I said would happen when people were beating their chests about how stupid McPhee was for giving Tuch a 7 year 4.75m dollar contract. Anyone who watched Tuch closely knew the talent was there but was just lacking the experience. That deal is looking pretty f***ing sweet right about now.

EDIT: Confirmed Signing with Link: - [VGK] Alex Tuch signs extension with Vegas (7 years, $4.75M AAV)

This was a fun thread to read back through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
They'll go as far as Fluery can take them. Subban has 1 win this season and it was against the Kings on a Saturday afternoon.. You can't expect him to play 70 games and not feel it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Did they struggle because of goalie injury issues? Not really.
The largest majority of their losses came because of the goalie injury situation. The fact that they overcame it is a testament to the story of their excellent year.

It wasn't that long ago that the Ducks had a winning record with half the lineup injured in the Boudreau days. Would you not say the Ducks were winning in spite of adversity?

EDIT: I mean what are you trying to say exactly? That having to battle extra hard with Maxime Lagace in net was just smooth sailing for the Knights? This is a guy with a 3.00 GAA and .89sv% in the AHL right now

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Washington and Vegas both got off to slow starts.

Perhaps because they had shorter offseasons, perhaps something psychological.

Either way they’re both fine now.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
The largest majority of their losses came because of the goalie injury situation. The fact that they overcame it is a testament to the story of their excellent year.

Perhaps it was their biggest struggle of the season, but I would call it minor setback if anything.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
At one point they had to emergency call up a goalie prospect from the WHL because both their starter, backup, and their AHL starter and backup were injured.

Not to mention that after February and until the playoffs there wasn't a single game where they didn't have at least two of Marchesseault, Smith, Perron, Haula, Tuch, or Neal injured.

Sorry Magnus, but if you can say they didn't face any adversity then you simply weren't paying attention.

But beyond that, your definition of a Cinderalla story really doesn't apply to what its typically used for. A Cinderella story is when a team that no one relying on conventional wisdom and expectation reasonably expects that team to go on an improbable run. All you have to do is actually liken it to the story of Cinderella itself. Plain girl locked up by an evil adoptive family that no one in their right mind would think would ever rise up and join the royal family does so simply by attending a ball and catching the eye of a prince. An otherwise unlikely rise in socioeconomic stratum happens because hey, magic and storytelling.

The 1980 Miracle on Ice team is the best example of a Cinderella story in sport...with the actual game against the USSR being a David and Goliath moment. A team of college kids up against pros from Europe were put together to try to win Gold with the most dominant international hockey team of all time in their way. No one thought they could do it and they did. The only actual adversity they faced other than being young and inexperienced was being clownpounded in an exhibition game by the Soviets prior to the start of the Olympics.

Being a Cinderella story isn't defined by the degree of adversity a team faced. Vegas' season was a Cinderella story because most people thought they'd finish with a draft lottery pick and instead won and won and won all the way to the fastest Stanley Cup finals appearance in league history.

I agree that Vegas was a Cinderella story but it's also easy to see his point that Vegas never really struggled last season. There were a few small losing streaks but nothing major. Even the playoffs never had Vegas feeling the pressure that much (relatively speaking).

It was a Cinderella story how much of a juggernaut Vegas was until the last four games of the postseason.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I called it in November. Team was on the upswing. Vegas is legit and they are deeper this year. In addition to Stastny, Pacs, and Pirri, Tuch has finally broke out.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
They'll go as far as Fluery can take them. Subban has 1 win this season and it was against the Kings on a Saturday afternoon.. You can't expect him to play 70 games and not feel it.
The interesting thing with Subban is the team hasn't really helped out when he's been in net. I think in all of Subbans starts this season prior to his win in LA, VGK averaged 1.25 Goals a game. So effectively anything short of a shutout and the team could not over come it. That said there have been a few of those games he was just terrible, but I thought he was decent against Nashville, and good against Columbus. Also he hasn't started at home this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad