Post-Game Talk: Vegas 3 - Jets 2

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Haha omg the hot takes in this thread. Thank God I didn't come in here last night or I might have pulled the trigger :rolleyes:

First and foremost, if the season ends with a loss in the WCF (I know, Vegas, and I agree) I will still be so proud of this team and happy with the season. They really captivated me this year and outperformed my wildest expectation.

We are losing for 3 main reasons:
  • Helle is finally playing average, Fleury is playing playoff winning hockey for a goaltender. This is to be expected- Fleury has been here time and time again. Helle will learn from this experience, he's still the Vezina finalist we fawned over all year.
  • Secondary scoring has dried up: Calling Matthieu Perreault? Lowry? Copp? Little? Roslovic? Ehlers (before injury).
  • Turnovers: Mainly by the forwards.

Yet people calling for their fave players to hate (Myers, Chiarot, Enstrom) to come out. If your forwards aren't contributing offensively OR defensively, and your goalie can't stop the puck, you are not winning in the playoffs.

Annnyway. It's not over - I don't really give the Jets a lot of chance to win this series unless Helle finds his game again, and the forwards start scoring. Either way I hope the team learns from this, it's young and we have a lot of playoffs coming up over the next 10 or so years.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That's fine. For me the last straw was when he slashed the stick out of the hands of a Vegas player on the face.off with what, four or six minutes on the clock. I'm no expert on the what can be called for and what not, but I think that should have been a 2 minute penalty. Of course now we know it wouldn't have changed the way the game ended, but had it been called, that would have infuriated a lot of Jets fans. Like seriously, I get the Scheifele frustration with his face open in the 1st period but this? Who does this when your team still has a fighting chance?

Count me in. We were watching the game with a friend and talking about Roslo and how well he looked, and also about the possibility of promoting him on the second line with Laine and Stastny. He seems like a guy who's got some damn good eye for the game and his playmaking abilities could already be a huge asset. Of course I doubt it happens in these playoffs (if the team makes past the next game even), but I really hope he can step into the second line center role starting next season. He could be the only real option the team has (don't want to see the ELL line ever again). Who knows, could be only wishful thinking.
Dumb thing for Buff to do but these guys are human and if they are anywhere near as frustrated as me , a fan , im surprised that stuff isn't happening alot more .

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I’ve never been more confident in 3-1 series comeback. To this point Vegas has had all the luck, one sided refs, goaltending. Jets played well last night. My positivity for the day.
Cliche, but Win the first shift, then period, and score first. One step at a time.
yeah. two very, very questionable calls against the Jets in the 1st period. There was at least one questionable call against Vegas, but hey, Wpg seems to be a momentum team, so doom then by calling that weird penalty against Myers and then the one against Scheifele in the first, why don't you?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Refs won’t call that in the regular season. Play wasn’t even going.

Yeah. He must have barely had a grip on his stick at the time. Can't fault Buff for that - it's common practice two swipe at the other players stick. Correct call was made on the ice to throw Scheif out of the faceoff.

(anybody mad at Buff for that has an agenda)

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Haha omg the hot takes in this thread. Thank God I didn't come in here last night or I might have pulled the trigger :rolleyes:

First and foremost, if the season ends with a loss in the WCF (I know, Vegas, and I agree) I will still be so proud of this team and happy with the season. They really captivated me this year and outperformed my wildest expectation.

• Helle is finally playing average, Fleury is playing playoff winning hockey for a goaltender. This is to be expected- Fleury has been here time and time again. Helle will learn from this experience, he's still the Vezina finalist we fawned over all year.
  • Secondary scoring has dried up: Calling Matthieu Perreault? Lowry? Copp? Little? Roslovic? Ehlers (before injury).

Yet people calling for their fave players to hate (Myers, Chiarot, Enstrom) to come out. If your forwards aren't contributing offensively OR defensively, and your goalie can't stop the puck, you are not winning in the playoffs.

Annnyway. It's not over - I don't really give the Jets a lot of chance to win this series unless Helle finds his game again, and the forwards start scoring. Either way I hope the team learns from this, it's young and we have a lot of playoffs coming up over the next 10 or so years.
Isn't that what this forum is all about , everyone' s opinions ? By the way lots of us have just said what you did about secondary scoring drying up . :dunno:

JetBrett

May 18, 2018
Long time lurker who finally pulled the trigger on joining.

Some of the opinions of Jets "supporters" in here are just ridiculous. Should I try and remind people the prognosticators at the beginning of the year had the Jets as touch and go in a battle to just get into the playoffs.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about how this series has gone thus far, but there's always a chance at a comeback. People around here wrote the Jets off in the Nashville series I don't know how many times.

Regardless, when I see people saying we should boo the team off the ice if we lose Game 5 or wishing death upon certain players it really pissed me off. This season has been a blast that most other teams would kill to have. How many other rosters in the league would you really want to trade ours for going into next year?

I suggest some people take a deep breath and truly think about how remarkable this season overall has been and we're getting beat right now with the one team with an even more remarkable story. It shouldn't be embarrassing to lose to them, they finished with a better season than at least 29 other teams too if they beat us.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
Refs won’t call that in the regular season. Play wasn’t even going.
LOL...since the play hasn't started, one can slash someone else on the face or any other illegal action? BS. it is up to the refs to decide if they call it.

His team is down a goal and will end up being down 3-1. That was an idiotic thing to do, because the ref could have chosen to make a call. In fact it put the Jets at a disadvantage because a face off violation after that would have resulted in a sure penalty.

Same applies to Myers and his penalty. It is irrelevant if the refs will not normally call a penalty on such a play however, don't give a option for them to call the penalty in the first place. In this case the ref choose to call a penalty and the Jets started the game down 1-0 before a couple of minutes were up.

Smart players cheat, however they know when to do it and do it discretely, other players do it at the most inappropriate time and make it blatantly obvious.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Some of the opinions of Jets "supporters" in here are just ridiculous. Should I try and remind people the prognosticators at the beginning of the year had the Jets as touch and go in a battle to just get into the playoffs.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about how this series has gone thus far, but there's always a chance at a comeback. People around here wrote the Jets off in the Nashville series I don't know how many times.

Regardless, when I see people saying we should boo the team off the ice if we lose Game 5 or wishing death upon certain players it really pissed me off. This season has been a blast that most other teams would kill to have. How many other rosters in the league would you really want to trade ours for going into next year?

I suggest some people take a deep breath and truly think about how remarkable this season overall has been and we're getting beat right now with the one team with an even more remarkable story. It shouldn't be embarrassing to lose to them, they finished with a better season than at least 29 other teams too if they beat us.
Welcome to the Mad house . :laugh:

Reactions: Jet and JetBrett

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's fine. For me the last straw was when he slashed the stick out of the hands of a Vegas player on the face.off with what, four or six minutes on the clock. I'm no expert on the what can be called for and what not, but I think that should have been a 2 minute penalty. Of course now we know it wouldn't have changed the way the game ended, but had it been called, that would have infuriated a lot of Jets fans. Like seriously, I get the Scheifele frustration with his face open in the 1st period but this? Who does this when your team still has a fighting chance?

Count me in. We were watching the game with a friend and talking about Roslo and how well he looked, and also about the possibility of promoting him on the second line with Laine and Stastny. He seems like a guy who's got some damn good eye for the game and his playmaking abilities could already be a huge asset. Of course I doubt it happens in these playoffs (if the team makes past the next game even), but I really hope he can step into the second line center role starting next season. He could be the only real option the team has (don't want to see the ELL line ever again). Who knows, could be only wishful thinking.

I'm with you on most of this -
My only change would be instead of moving Ehlers off the second line, move Laine down to the 3rd and let Stas work with a couple of speedy players in Roz and Ehlers.
Speed, puck possession, cycle game, and scoring should all improve with a move like this - Stas would have a blast feeding these 2 spark plugs.

Moving Laine to a more defensive role also help him work out of few of the kinks in his game - ie; puck possession, cycle game and stick work.
It's not like he's scoring a ton of 5 on 5 goals in the PO's anyway and he'll always have the PP.

Wouldn't hurt to have a look IMO

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
LOL...since the play hasn't started, one can slash someone else on the face or any other illegal action? BS. it is up to the refs to decide if they call it.

His team is down a goal and will end up being down 3-1. That was an idiotic thing to do, because the ref could have chosen to make a call. In fact it put the Jets at a disadvantage because a face off violation after that would have resulted in a sure penalty.

Same applies to Myers and his penalty. It is irrelevant if the refs will not normally call a penalty on such a play however, don't give a option for them to call the penalty in the first place. In this case the ref choose to call a penalty and the Jets started the game down 1-0 before a couple of minutes were up.

Smart players cheat, however they know when to do it and do it discretely, other players do it at the most inappropriate time and make it blatantly obvious.

One of the arguments in hockey I hate is this ”don’t give referees the chance to call a penalty”. You play on the edge, sometimes things don’t go your way.

For next season Jets need a ref in TC to tell them how to get away with interference. We need to get closer to the edge on that.

Reactions: Jack722

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I love it when we lose...I get to see all the folks who only come on the boards to be negative. Coach sucks, player(s) sucks, Chevy sucks, world sucks, life sucks ad nauseam infinitum.
Glad to see you guys, kind of missed "all ya all" season and most of the playoffs.

Just watch out though, the sun might come out and the rest of us may have a fetivus at the street party*.

pp.jpg

Reactions: Bartho and Jets 31

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

This is pretty much where I stand on the game/series as well. We are the better team, just young and inexperienced. We were never supposed to get this far, but expectations get raised as you go through the different series. Helle got us to this place, bailing us out time and again over the regular season and previous playoff series, but he hasn't played well in this series. Fleury has been the biggest difference. I haven't looked at the rest of the thread, but I'm sure the stats match the eye test and we spend most of the time in their end, had far more shots and high danger chances.

Very proud of the team, and still looking forward to the next game, then if we can't win the series, I'm really looking forward to next season and ones after that. We are young, played above our heads this season, but every season after this, we are going to improve. Lots to be happy about.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Isn't that what this forum is all about , everyone' s opinions ? By the way lots of us have just said what you did about secondary scoring drying up . :dunno:

True! I am not trying to stifle anyone, all opinions are what make this board great.

However, if someone posts something that I find ridiculous, I will call it out. Hell I've posted plenty of ridiculous shit on this board and have been called out in kind.

Hell I used to defend Ran_y Jones here on the regular.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Boy you guys are really stretching reality just to hate on Buff. Not even worth discussing it with you guys if you’re gonna just make shit up as you go.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

You mean like when Buff was caught putting piles of snow on the blue line , classic stuff man . :laugh:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I agree we can't hang it all on Helly just too bad he had to completely butcher that second goal. Reffing didn't help but it's been pretty much **** all year so they're consistent in that regard. We hope it evens out over time but it seems like it's bound to affect the outcome of games when they're so closely contested as it is. I just don't see how the NHL could be fine with that level of officiating on that stage.

And why the hell do they keep forcing the puck into Scheif on the PP when he's covered? Like c'mon coaches-figure something out!

I've missed a couple of the games in this series and in the ones I've seen, the Jets just haven't quite matched the level of execution they had all season. No doubt fatigue has set in. Three straight is not impossible but seems improbable.

I have a new man crush. His name is Jack Roslovic.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Fleury is outplaying Helly so far and it looks like Helly may be showing some mental fatigue and perhaps burn out a bit. But for all the posters to just pin losses on him ain't fair. We are playing reckless hockey, how do you justify so many turn overs and odd man rushes in a conference final? Like that's what's hurting us as a whole. Helly needs to step up, but so does the whole team. Secondary scoring from our other forwards and eliminating what I said above and we win even with Helly not outplaying Fleury. It's not over yet, I'm still hopeful Helly will find another gear as will the Jets. Back against the wall and nothing to lose, I think we win.
Hope you are right, but it is largely on Helle and random chance at this point. Winnipeg has mostly outplayed the Knights, but have lost the goaltending battle, and randomness has been on the Kings' side. Helle referred to this in his post-game interview, and was right. He is a smart young man...but I agree he may be tiring out. With goaltending there are also shifts in confidence and right now Fleury is basking in it. But it was not always this way for him if you look back on his previous playoffs, and can change in a single game.

I actually feel less nervous than I have all series. For the first time, we truly are the underdog. That has been the secret weapon that has allowed Vegas to play with fearless abandon. It is now ours.
Let's enjoy what's left of the ride.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
This series is showing how unfair hockey is.

1 chance, 1 goal, game winning goal. Jets dominate with no reward.

Going to be a long summer if they don't get this done.

I wouldn't say it's unfair. Their goalie was great, Helly sucked. It's not like his skate blade fell off and he fell over to allow the winning goal.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
I am stunned that this Jets team are not fighting in this game or playing more physical.

They look like they have given up and do not care which is a real head scratcher when you are this close to the Stanley Cup final..

Not gonna put this on any ref or any player, not Helle or Buff.. No excuses. But at this point in the season, after a hundred games, winning a series should get you a couple days of rest. Even if we went seven vs Preds. It's inhuman what these guys endure.

Reactions: mondo3

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137

Welcome to the Jungle, man :D

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Wow bitter people.

Last year the Jets missed the playoffs; this year they finish 2nd in the league and make it to the WCF.

If was the best season to be a Jets fan in the history of 1.0 and 2.0.

If the season ends tomorrow I will be proud of there growth this year. If it doesn't end tomorrow my opinion won't change.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
There's still potentially 3 games left in the series. Jets will be playing their back against the wall in every single one of them, so it's a tough ask but still very much doable. All they need to do is win 2 in a row to take it to game 7, and at that point no one will care who won the last 2. Also Jets have been there before, Vegas hasn't and IMO if the Jets can drag this series on, Vegas will get tired. The way they play I think is very demanding physically. If they have to keep it up for a tightly scheluded 7 game series, I think cracks will begin to show even more.

If the Jets are to beat Vegas they will have to play even harder than Vegas. You don't think that will be physically demanding on the Jets? Or are they supermen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad