Post-Game Talk: Vegas 3 - Jets 2

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The league will be a laughing stock if the Knights win the cup their first year in the league as an expansion team.

I am beyond stunned that the Jets are having such a difficult time with this team.

Their fans are arrogant and act like they already won the cup.

Hey Guys...Isles fan coming in peace. for the love of god, beat this team! I won't be able to look at the game the same way if Vegas wins the cup and I have no confidence that one of the Caps or TBL will beat them...you guys though...You have a real deep squad and have the ability to beat them!

Reactions: Jet

None

Feb 22, 2012
To defend Hellebuyck in this series would be embarrassing.

He has crushed this team's momentum and confidence with his shakey goal tending in this series.

I only felt a little awful thinking "At least this entire team, Stastny included, is used to having the worse of the 2 starting goalies."

Edit: To be clear I'm referring to years past with the Jets. Goaltending was excellent in the regular season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Turnovers in their zone continue to haunt us. This series is not over yet, but we need to clean that up. Plus what was Buff doing in their pp goal, we had two guys up blue line, these mistakes are ones that hurt a team in playoffs.
But I think winning three in a row is not impossible, we're a good team, only need to win one there. Series has momentum shifts, we need to start ours at home and put the heat back on them.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I just briefly checked the last few pages of this topic after watching the game so don't really know what's been talked about. Anyway, first of all, why would you bench Armia who is almost as solid two-way forward as you can get to play in the bottom lines? I just cannot see the logic behind that. Just an awful decision. Secondly, Buff was absolutely brutal in this game and if there was one single player having the most negative impact on the game/team, that would be him. In the first goal he was just entirely out of position and Karlsson got a free ride to score the opening goal. The second huge fail was the missed shot that resulted in a breakaway goal in the third period. Apart from the PP assist, he looked like he was entirely on another dimension in the game and made some rather questionable plays throughout the sixty minutes. For a player who's supposedly #1D in the team, expected to anchor the blueline and playing in the conference finals for a team that's already behind in the series, a game like this is entirely unacceptable. Yeah, we've seen him having half-arsed showings like this in the regular season but in the frigging playoffs? Just wtf.

Dammit, I thought the Jets would have taken this but now the team is with the back against the wall. Not good, not good at all. This is what you get from the combination of a brainfart from the coaching team mixed up with your number one defenceman collapsing when he is needed the most.

There's still hope and in the upcoming days we'll see what this team truly is made of.

Nov 24, 2006
The narrative for the last few years was, Jets are a good team with shaky goaltending. This changed this year, and we witnessed a fantastic season from Hellebuyck.

The new narrative when this is done (and I’m sorry to say, but I don’t think the Jets aren’t coming back from this) is that shaky goaltending in this series was their demise.

It’s fair but not the whole story. Our second and third lines disappearing, bad luck, good Vegas team, MAF standing on his head.

All of these matter, but Helleybuyck was the one piece that absolutely had to show up against Vegas, and in the last three games, he’s been no better than Pavelec.

Reactions: BrokerD and Jets 31

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Just win one period, then another, and another. Just play in the now, no worries about if you lose you're out. Just focus on the task at hand, playing well and forcing your will.

The Jets can do this.

Reactions: blues10 and Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
So did something actually happen, did someone call him out? Or is this more of the "Buff hates Laine because he didn't celebrate hard enough" type of news?
No people are just being silly. Laine did shake his head in disgust but that could have been at Helly the whole team the situation. Helly has not been great this series. I'm just saying calling him out is the wrong way to go.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just briefly checked the last few pages of this topic after watching the game so don't really know what's been talked about. Anyway, first of all, why would you bench Armia who is almost as solid two-way forward as you can get to play in the bottom lines? I just cannot see the logic behind that. Just an awful decision. Secondly, Buff was absolutely brutal in this game and if there was one single player having the most negative impact on the game/team, that would be him. In the first goal he was just entirely out of position and Karlsson got a free ride to score the opening goal. The second huge fail was the missed shot that resulted in a breakaway goal in the third period. Apart from the PP assist, he looked like he was entirely on another dimension in the game and made some rather questionable plays throughout the sixty minutes. For a player who's supposedly #1D in the team, expected to anchor the blueline and playing in the conference finals for a team that's already behind in the series, a game like this is entirely unacceptable. Yeah, we've seen him having half-arsed showings like this in the regular season but in the frigging playoffs? Just wtf.

Dammit, I thought the Jets would have taken this but now the team is with the back against the wall. Not good, not good at all. This is what you get from the combination of a brainfart from the coaching team mixed up with your number one defenceman collapsing when he is needed the most.

There's still hope and in the upcoming days we'll see what this team truly is made of.
Don't agree with you on Buff , agree the PP goal was a Buff mistake but Buff has been one of our best players throughout these playoffs . When guys like Little , Frenchie , Ehlers , and even Wheeler for that matter don't score at all , it's putting too much pressure on the rest of the team to not give up more than 1 goal a game to win . We need more scoring from these guys and then one mistake won't lose us the game .

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
Quite honestly, at the beginning of season the WCF would have been considered a amazing and successful season. However after finishing #2 in the league and knocking out the Predators an exit at the WCF is a huge disappointment. Despite the fact that the window is just opening, it might be a window that closes very quickly too. All the new contracts and the possible decline of players like Buff, Wheeler, Little etc. We might be that team that ends up being hamstrung with a few bad veteran contracts in a few years.

After game 2 I mentioned I still felt good about the series since all the goals scored by Vegas were on bad turn overs and we would not repeat those mistakes. Boy was I wrong!

For me this is all on the coach.

In game 3 Vegas scored seconds into the game and then scored again as soon the Jets tied it up. The coach should have ensured the players were instructed to not let in an early goal or take bad penalties early in the game especially as the Jets were trying to avoid a loss and be 3-1 down. Myers took a stupid penalty at the start out of laziness, folks are blaming the refs on this one... sorry that was an obvious penalty - a slow developing play and the puck is already way past Myers. Of course on the ensuing penalty kill what do the leaders (Buff and Wheeler) on the team do...rushing out of the defensive zone without having control of the puck.

Once the Jets tied the game up, the coach should have made sure no repeat of a quick goal occurs - get the team to focus on defensive play to control Vegas. Although the goal was 100% on Bucky, our forwards were terrible especially Copp on that play.

Re penalties. The refs missed some calls especially the 4min call however in the 3rd period we got our fair share of calls and we failed to take advantage of that except for the Laine goal. Too many forced passes, missed shots that exit the zone and wasting so much time trying to re-enter the zone. Hate Wheeler on the half wall, he just stands still and forces passes way too much and gives up possession of the puck too often on the power play. Based on Laine's position on the power play the coach should know he cannot stop pucks from exiting the zone on missed shots and ensure Buff's shot angle doesn't exit the zone on a missed shot (if he decides to shoot it). I find Myers shot selection on the PP is much better compared to Buff. The coach should have a few other plays on the PP, that PP is so predictable...I mean the whole world knows what is going to happen.

I also hate our breakout from the defensive end requiring forwards on the side boards in a standing position. Nashville had an awesome breakout and Vegas does too. Often with two passes they are out of the zone and heading to the Jets end a 3 on 3. Meanwhile the Jets break out requires the forwards to pick the pick off the boards from their feet and by that time the forecheck has already pinned the forward.

I hope we win 3 straight, however I don't have confidence in the coaching to make the required adjustments. We have shown we can dominate Vegas, however the Jets are getting beaten by speed and effort. The Jets also lost their composure after the 3rd goal and stopped playing as a team and couldn't handle the puck or make a pass.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Loved Rosie's game last night. Notably his board game - playing with Perry and Litts is rubbing off on him. Can't help but wonder if he can't be our 2nd line centre next year.

Liked the move to split up Trouba and Morrissey. Trouba has struggled a fair bit, though still a great instinctive and positional player, seems to be fighting the puck a lot. Actually really liked how they rolled the D around last night to chase the game and limit Chiarot and Enstrom.

I'll be there on Sunday....cheering hard!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Helle was clearly to blame for 1 goal, could have been better for another goal, and, really, had little chance on an end-over-end perfectly-placed slapshot.
he has not been great. average at best, although he did have good saves.

Jets are playing like a tired team. no other explanation. making too many mistakes and it looks and feels like Vegas is scoring on most of those mistakes. it's surreal.

winnipeg's still been the better team for most of the series. but when they've had their lapses - and vegas hasn't had any lapses - they are paying the price.

Laine showed up yesterday. ehlers for bits. Little and Roslovic also were good. Connor was invisible, Matty P's third period was gross. Buff had some moments. i wouldn't necessarily blame him for the game winning goal. who knows....

well, what can we do? vegas won 3 in a row. it's possible for the Jets to actually have the stats and results mesh up for 3 games. anything's possible. just sit back and enjoy the ride.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
Following up on the Jets break out. Since the forward has to go to boards from the break out, often times it creates chaos on the Jets end. There have been numerous instances in these playoffs where a winger is closer to the puck and choose not to go for it and instead leave it for the defender. The defender meanwhile thinks the winger will get it and the end result is the opposition gaining possession of the puck.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I’ve never been more confident in 3-1 series comeback. To this point Vegas has had all the luck, one sided refs, goaltending. Jets played well last night. My positivity for the day.
Cliche, but Win the first shift, then period, and score first. One step at a time.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The narrative for the last few years was, Jets are a good team with shaky goaltending. This changed this year, and we witnessed a fantastic season from Hellebuyck.

The new narrative when this is done (and I’m sorry to say, but I don’t think the Jets aren’t coming back from this) is that shaky goaltending in this series was their demise.

It’s fair but not the whole story. Our second and third lines disappearing, bad luck, good Vegas team, MAF standing on his head.

All of these matter, but Helleybuyck was the one piece that absolutely had to show up against Vegas, and in the last three games, he’s been no better than Pavelec.

Fleury is outplaying Helly so far and it looks like Helly may be showing some mental fatigue and perhaps burn out a bit. But for all the posters to just pin losses on him ain't fair. We are playing reckless hockey, how do you justify so many turn overs and odd man rushes in a conference final? Like that's what's hurting us as a whole. Helly needs to step up, but so does the whole team. Secondary scoring from our other forwards and eliminating what I said above and we win even with Helly not outplaying Fleury. It's not over yet, I'm still hopeful Helly will find another gear as will the Jets. Back against the wall and nothing to lose, I think we win.

Reactions: scelaton

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Loved Rosie's game last night. Notably his board game - playing with Perry and Litts is rubbing off on him. Can't help but wonder if he can't be our 2nd line centre next year.

Liked the move to split up Trouba and Morrissey. Trouba has struggled a fair bit, though still a great instinctive and positional player, seems to be fighting the puck a lot. Actually really liked how they rolled the D around last night to chase the game and limit Chiarot and Enstrom.

I agree , changing the D pairs definitely looked like it gave us a lift . May be time to do this with our top 2 lines as well . How about Scheif with Laine and Ehlers and Stastny with Wheeler and Connor , i've liked the Little , Frenchie and Roslovic line so far as well .

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Don't agree with you on Buff , agree the PP goal was a Buff mistake but Buff has been one of our best players throughout these playoffs . When guys like Little , Frenchie , Ehlers , and even Wheeler for that matter don't score at all , it's putting too much pressure on the rest of the team to not give up more than 1 goal a game to win . We need more scoring from these guys and then one mistake won't lose us the game .

That's fine. For me the last straw was when he slashed the stick out of the hands of a Vegas player on the face.off with what, four or six minutes on the clock. I'm no expert on the what can be called for and what not, but I think that should have been a 2 minute penalty. Of course now we know it wouldn't have changed the way the game ended, but had it been called, that would have infuriated a lot of Jets fans. Like seriously, I get the Scheifele frustration with his face open in the 1st period but this? Who does this when your team still has a fighting chance?

Count me in. We were watching the game with a friend and talking about Roslo and how well he looked, and also about the possibility of promoting him on the second line with Laine and Stastny. He seems like a guy who's got some damn good eye for the game and his playmaking abilities could already be a huge asset. Of course I doubt it happens in these playoffs (if the team makes past the next game even), but I really hope he can step into the second line center role starting next season. He could be the only real option the team has (don't want to see the ELL line ever again). Who knows, could be only wishful thinking.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
I agree , changing the D pairs definitely looked like it gave us a lift . May be time to do this with our top 2 lines as well . How about Scheif with Laine and Ehlers and Stastny with Wheeler and Connor , i've liked the Little , Frenchie and Roslovic line so far as well .
Coach is not going to do that.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
That's fine. For me the last straw was when he slashed the stick out of the hands of a Vegas player on the face.off with what, four or six minutes on the clock. I'm no expert on the what can be called for and what not, but I think that should have been a 2 minute penalty. Of course now we know it wouldn't have changed the way the game ended, but had it been called, that would have infuriated a lot of Jets fans. Like seriously, I get the Scheifele frustration with his face open in the 1st period but this? Who does this when your team still has a fighting chance?
Yes that was an absolutely stupid play. Buff is talented and skilled but lacks hockey IQ and relies on brute force. Wheeler is the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad