Confirmed with Link: Vatanen to CAR for Janne Kuokkanen, Frederik Claesson and conditional 4th rounder

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I was actually flipping through ESPN channels the other day and came across some kind of national cornhole invitational, so they really will cover anything resembling a sport...except hockey. Sadly the best coverage they have might be Wysh, and he seems to get dumber with age.

I will say that I enjoy the ESPN + hockey. I Love that they have that and I can just watch some random games again very regularly. You're basically just watching the local coverage I think. It's nice though

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
ESPN has it wrong 6 hours after the fact. There's wrong and then there's embarrassing.
No. Embarassing is... umm... I used to work in the TV industry. I was at TV station. They were interviewing the president of Niger. They added an extra "g" to the caption.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Fitz also clarified in his interview that the conditional picks are based on regular season games. I read this tweet as being based on total games (regular season & playoffs).

It's been speculated that Vatanen is about 2 weeks away from returning, which would place him coming back for Carolina's final 15 games of the season. Figure they want to get him in there as soon as possible since they're in a tight playoff race. Also run the risk though that the final game of the season could be meaningless if they're locked into a playoff position. With it being a back-to-back game, if that were the case they'd certainly rest some vets.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There is a playoff component to the Vatanen conditions. If Vatanen plays in 70% of playoff games then the Devils get the 3rd; so if they play 4 playoff games and Vatanen plays in 3 then all the regular season items don’t matter.

Reactions: awegrzyn

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
First I was a little bit underwhelmed when I heard the return is Kuokkanen and a conditional 4th, but mostly because I misread Bob's tweet. Vatanen's value is basically a 2nd (Kuokkanen) and a 4th or a 3rd, so it's pretty fair deal on both sides.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Here's how I would rank the Devils forward prospects now, by position:

C
1 Talvitie
2 McCleod
3 Hoelscher
4 Schnarr
5 None

LW
1 Foote
2 Boqvist
3 Kuokkanen
4 Maltsev
5 Gritsyuk

RW
1 Anderson
2 Thompson
3 Merkley
4 Moynihan
5 Zetterlund
I was waiting for something like this from your side. So thanks a lot. I would love to see something similar for the D. I have also a few remarks:
  • I am surprised you have Foote ahead of Boqvist. Stylistically very different player and Foote for sure is the more unique one in our prospect pool. Do you consider Boqvist also as a potential C prospect?
  • Seney, Bastian, Gignac, Studenic, Sharangovich and Clarke are missing in your rankings. Do you consider Seney no longer a prospect? Have you forgotten about the other ones or would rank them clearly below the other options listed? I know Clarke is hurt, but I had the impression you hold him in very high regard.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Seney, Bastian, Sharangovich, and Gignac are all unlikely to be full time NHL players.

Studenic has talent but is struggling to put it all together at the pro level. The clock is ticking.

Clarke had a major injury and has missed essentially the whole season, so it's really hard to evaluate him.

Nikola Pasic should be on the list.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Sooooo when's Vats getting healthy? would like to have that pick upgraded to a 3rd rounder

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Hypothetically he can miss the rest of the year and then play 70% of the Canes playoff games and we still get the 3rd, no?

Yes. Either OR, but there is a hidden condition in there. Canes have to make the playoffs.
I thought this trade was very good for a rental. We can still sign him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was waiting for something like this from your side. So thanks a lot. I would love to see something similar for the D. I have also a few remarks:
  • I am surprised you have Foote ahead of Boqvist. Stylistically very different player and Foote for sure is the more unique one in our prospect pool. Do you consider Boqvist also as a potential C prospect?
  • Seney, Bastian, Gignac, Studenic, Sharangovich and Clarke are missing in your rankings. Do you consider Seney no longer a prospect? Have you forgotten about the other ones or would rank them clearly below the other options listed? I know Clarke is hurt, but I had the impression you hold him in very high regard.

Foote has made huge strides this year, I think he's a potential first-line, goal-scoring LW at the NHL level. Like many others, I undersold him last year as a mid-6 with physicality and offensive punch -- but his elite shot has gotten even better, his skating has improved and his vision is much better than most suspected. I think Boqvist translates better as a scoring LW than a C, especially since Hischier and Hughes would seem to be the Devils top two pivots for the foreseeable future.

I only ranked top 5 at the F positions. I like Clarke a lot, I would probably have him as the #6 RW and I feel confident that Bastian has a future as a very solid 4th line RW, maybe even 3rd line. The other players you mentioned I see more as AHL/NHL tweeters, though hopefully one or more of them makes a jump in development and exceeds this.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Fitzgerald GM of the year. Look at the value he squeezed out of Coleman and Vatanen.

Decent player they acquired in Kuokkanen.

They calling up Kuokkanen tomorrow or the next day then?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Trade historically becomes

Henrique
Blandisi
2018 3rd rd pick (Blake McLaughlin, LW Soph at UMinn)

for

2019 2nd rd pick (Kuokkanen)
2019 3rd rd pick (Misyul)
Claesson
2020 4th rd pick (at worst)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ray never should have traded Henrique. That was one of his worst deals.

I can understand your opinion, but the counter to that is Vats was instrumental in the playoff run of 2018 and NJ likely would have moved Henrique rather than give him a big extension and it's not likely Henrique moves the needle on NJ's place in the standings if he is with the team instead of Vats.

Reactions: Darkauron

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Before getting traded Henrique did his usual float and be invisible for 15 games and get a point or two. Losing him isn’t a big deal. Also, we wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Vatanen. People keep forgetting that he was an animal in the second half of that season and he carried Greene on that pairing. Him, along with Hall and Kinkaid were the reasons why that team made the playoffs.

Its just a shame he became injury prone because we would have either extended him or trade him and a healthy Vatanen would have netted us a 1st and a prospect.

That was not a bad trade by Shero at all. It was a good trade for both teams. Simple as that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Before getting traded Henrique did his usual float and be invisible for 15 games and get a point or two. Losing him isn’t a big deal. Also, we wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Vatanen. People keep forgetting that he was an animal in the second half of that season and he carried Greene on that pairing. Him, along with Hall and Kinkaid were the reasons why that team made the playoffs.

Its just a shame he became injury prone because we would have either extended him or trade him and a healthy Vatanen would have netted us a 1st and a prospect.

That was not a bad trade by Shero at all. It was a good trade for both teams. Simple as that.
I think the trade was OK, but Vat's had been dealing with injuries prior to us trading for him. So he didn't become injury prone, he already was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad