Confirmed with Link: Vatanen to CAR for Janne Kuokkanen, Frederik Claesson and conditional 4th rounder

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
4 game so far for Claesson ...do you guys think he is a keeper?
He’s a UFA so he’s probably gone unless they want him as a vet in Bing.

Cap Friendly had Mermis listed as a RFA which confused the hell out of me but they changed him to a UFA. I’m more curious about him as a potential extra defenseman.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
So how does this work?

*Conditions: New Jersey receives a 2020 4th round pick if Vatanen plays in 5 regular-season games this season. The pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd round pick if Vatanen plays in 12 regular-season games this season, or if Carolina makes the playoffs and he plays in 70% of their playoff games.

I guess we hope he plays 70% of their playoff games ?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So how does this work?

*Conditions: New Jersey receives a 2020 4th round pick if Vatanen plays in 5 regular-season games this season. The pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd round pick if Vatanen plays in 12 regular-season games this season, or if Carolina makes the playoffs and he plays in 70% of their playoff games.

That's the hope at least on my end. I'm sure Carolina could try to argue against that if they chose to do so but they willingly traded for him knowing he was injured.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So how does this work?

AE763631-0DE0-46EB-B6A8-6D20B4441A19.jpeg

He will have to play in 100% of their games. The Rags will knock Rawly out in their play-in game.

The NJD will get no picks from this trade. Fitz should have done better.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw confirmed with link and thought maybe an announcement was made on the season.

Been a while since we seen one of those confirmed with link.

Reactions: Darkauron

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
View attachment 347377
He will have to play in 100% of their games. The Rags will knock Rawly out in their play-in game.

The NJD will get no picks from this trade. Fitz should have done better.

Given that Vatanen was hurt throughout February I think Janne Kuokkanen was a decent return. I would project him as a 3rd line LW or C (possible replacement for Zajac) in a couple of years. He appears to be a defensively sound forward.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Given that Vatanen was hurt throughout February I think Janne Kuokkanen was a decent return. I would project him as a 3rd line LW or C (possible replacement for Zajac) in a couple of years. He appears to be a defensively sound forward.

Hes a mature prospect for sure so I am more than happy for the return due to Vats injury. I think he provides us with a good bottom 6 forward option.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Damn phantom bumps tricking me into thinking we did a trade!
LOL sorry about that, but I'd really like to know if we can get a third rounder. We have no 2nd or 3rd rounder otherwise. From what was written above it appears a 4th isn't even possible because there's no more regular season, and the play in isn't considered playoffs. So confusing.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
So do we get a third if Carolina beats the Rangers in the play in and Vatanen plays all the playoff games?

It seems the play-in games are going to be treated as their own thing, neither regular season nor playoffs but definitely not playoffs.

So we would need Carolina to win and then have Vatanen play 75%(I think?) of the playoff games.

If Carolina loses then it’s like Vatanen met none of the requirements.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
It seems the play-in games are going to be treated as their own thing, neither regular season nor playoffs but definitely not playoffs.

So we would need Carolina to win and then have Vatanen play 75%(I think?) of the playoff games.

If Carolina loses then it’s like Vatanen met none of the requirements.
Sounds possible then, because we all know the Rangers will win the first pick. :help:

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sounds possible then, because we all know the Rangers will win the first pick. :help:

If there is one thing I am confident of it is that even if NYR gets Laf they will still find some way to screw it up. They will win a bit in the playoffs and the NJ fan base will be the butt of their fanbase’s jokes until they are in cap hell and are clutching their pearls over having to trade Trouba and Chytil and DeAngelo to sign Laf to his second contract at which point Panarin gets upset having to share the LW1 spotlight and video scouting reveals Shesterkin is vulnerable to near side blocker shots and the whole thing collapses on the precipice of actual success.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
So either way I’m rooting for the Canes to beat the Rags. Not that I wasn’t already. Just nice to have some sort of skin in the game...

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
So either way I’m rooting for the Canes to beat the Rags. Not that I wasn’t already. Just nice to have some sort of skin in the game...
No no no no

As much as we want another higher pick you want to 100000000% root for the Rangers to WIN

we cannot allow them to win Lafreniere and their only chance to is if they lose to Carolina

We also want the Islanders to win their series as well

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have really forgot about Kuokkonen as a potential breakout player for NJ. The odds that a 22 and under player breaks out for NJ is extremely high given the sheer amount of quality prospects. Sure some are less likely but you have the following who could hypotetically produce at the NHL level this year with a good summer.

Kuokkanen
Boqvist
Foote
McLeod
Anderson
Merkley
Zetterlund
Maltsev

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Rangers will beat the Canes, but don’t make that an official prediction yet.

I need to know who’s playing for teams before I start predicting the play-in rounds or the round robin, which I don’t even know if I’ll take a stab at predicting the round robin thing.

I go Rangers over Canes if not mostly because Shesterkin (and probably even Georgiev too) is better than Mrazek. Current Lundqvist may or may not be, but I doubt he plays.

I don’t foresee a long playoffs for the Rangers, as they’re not a very good team and wouldn’t have gotten in over an 82 game season, but this is where we are with the 24 team playoff. There’s gonna be a couple teams that wouldn’t even be in the playoffs if the season had went in its entirety that are going to win a round.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I just don’t trust Mrazek.

I mean, doesn’t mean he can’t win, but I just don’t trust him.
You don't even know if they go with Shesterkin. Lundqvist could very easily get the nod, although it should be Igor. Hopefully Lundqvist ***** them one more time.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad