Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'd way rather see this kid shred the CHL this year than bounce around between 3 russian leagues.

Really hope they find a way to bring him over to the Comets next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd way rather see this kid shred the CHL this year than bounce around between 3 russian leagues.

Well, we don't agree there. If the Canucks sign him and play him in Utica, that might be one thing. But spending a year lighting up the CHL? I think he'd be better off playing against men in a pro league in Europe.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I don't think you'll find much agreement with that.

I rather him bounce around a bit playing some pro style hockey vs men rather vs 17-18-19 yr olds playing a mistake filled, slow, junior style with 1-1.5 min shifts. Regular CHL junior hockey is NOT like the World Jr Championships. It's actually pretty painful to watch without a vested interest.

Also - you don't really get players out of their KHL contracts anymore.. i think it's a virtual lock he won't be here for the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Yep, It'd be nice if he was in a position to get decent minutes in the KHL, but that isn't the case, so I actually don't mind him sticking in the VHL.

He's still playing against men, although at a lower level than AHL. To me that's key - he's a player with great physical tools, and learning to use them against men is much more valuable than lighting up 17 year olds in the CHL.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Everyone knew this wasn’t going to be a problem knowing he’s under contract for 2 more years
It is what it is
I get it. I know it's not the worst thing in the world being over there for 2 years, everyone knew that going. I'd much rather see him play in one league, on one team though, at least for longer stretches. Bouncing from team to team weekly, or daily,makes it real tough to gain any momentum or chemistry.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Here's my take on this, based on admittedly very limited information: He's going to benefit from the option to transition up and down levels. You can see it in the way he plays at the MHL, VHL and KHL levels.

In the MHL, he's absolutely dominant. Looks like the player at the Hlinka tournament where he can basically play the way he wants at will. He's learning absolutely nothing at this level and if anything, further engraining bad habits.

At the VHL, which is the level he's ready for, but still has much to learn, he can still dominate, but it's not resulting in gaudy point totals because there are things he needs to learn to do before the numbers will come. That's good, he should stay there the majority of the year and figure those things out.

In the KHL, he plays like a competent role player. Always in position, isn't going to hurt you when he's out there. Not ready, however, to assert himself offensively on a consistent basis.

What will be fascinating to watch for is whether he can figure out how to assert his will onto VHL-level competition, and start to spark things offensively in the KHL as the season wears on. That's what I'll be looking for.

Playing in the CHL, with a stint at the WJC's isn't going to provide him with that level of competition that his game clearly needs.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Here's my take on this, based on admittedly very limited information: He's going to benefit from the option to transition up and down levels. You can see it in the way he plays at the MHL, VHL and KHL levels.

In the MHL, he's absolutely dominant. Looks like the player at the Hlinka tournament where he can basically play the way he wants at will. He's learning absolutely nothing at this level and if anything, further engraining bad habits.

At the VHL, which is the level he's ready for, but still has much to learn, he can still dominate, but it's not resulting in gaudy point totals because there are things he needs to learn to do before the numbers will come. That's good, he should stay there the majority of the year and figure those things out.

In the KHL, he plays like a competent role player. Always in position, isn't going to hurt you when he's out there. Not ready, however, to assert himself offensively on a consistent basis.

What will be fascinating to watch for is whether he can figure out how to assert his will onto VHL-level competition, and start to spark things offensively in the KHL as the season wears on. That's what I'll be looking for.

Playing in the CHL, with a stint at the WJC's isn't going to provide him with that level of competition that his game clearly needs.
I'm down for this mindset. I'm not even checking his stats once this season. Just going with the flow. It's kind of like when you're losing weight and don't weigh yourself. Then emotions don't come into it based on what you see.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Anyone have any idea what sort of contract he has, and how much he is making? Does he get paid a fixed amount, or does it change depending on what league he is in? And why in the world would someone making pro money ever be willing to play in the CHL? Particularly a Russian.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Anyone have any idea what sort of contract he has, and how much he is making? Does he get paid a fixed amount, or does it change depending on what league he is in? And why in the world would someone making pro money ever be willing to play in the CHL? Particularly a Russian.
No clue, but the Canucks HAVE to get him out of that hole FAST

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
No clue, but the Canucks HAVE to get him out of that hole FAST
Not going to happen. He’s going to be playing there until his contract is filled. He won’t be coming to Vancouver until he is basically guaranteed an NHL spot

The whole point of my comment was asking if anybody knows any of the parts of the terms of this contract. In other words how much is he making right now. He isn’t coming over to play in the 8HL, when he will be making more in Russia. I am sure he will have the same deal that Tryamkin did. In other words if they try to send him to Utica he will book back to Russia

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

I feel like his hands and edgework need developing and would in the CHL

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I have a feeling he would destroy the CHL. I like the theory that his game translates better to smaller Ice, it seems like he does most of his damage in tight spaces (as we saw with the no look backhand assist), which is why I'm not too concerned about his lack of production on bigger Ice.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Podkolzin with 1A today, watching him, he's going to be an excellent addition to the second line if he continues his development path. He's just absolutely relentless on driving the puck to the net and forechecking.

Just saw the PP assist (in about 8mins behind live). Smart pass. Had a great drive to the net the shift before the PP.

Reactions: lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have a feeling he would destroy the CHL. I like the theory that his game translates better to smaller Ice, it seems like he does most of his damage in tight spaces (as we saw with the no look backhand assist), which is why I'm not too concerned about his lack of production on bigger Ice.

Podkolzin would have done very well in the CHL with his skill level, size, speed, strength, and intensity. But as far as whether his game translates better to smaller ice, I'm not so sure. Just watching his highlight videos he thrives more when he has space to get up to speed. That doesn't mean he won't be effective on the smaller ice. I think Pettersson is better on the bigger ice as well.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I don't think you'll find much agreement with that.

I rather him bounce around a bit playing some pro style hockey vs men rather vs 17-18-19 yr olds playing a mistake filled, slow, junior style with 1-1.5 min shifts. Regular CHL junior hockey is NOT like the World Jr Championships. It's actually pretty painful to watch without a vested interest.

Also - you don't really get players out of their KHL contracts anymore.. i think it's a virtual lock he won't be here for the next 2 seasons.
Painful to watch?! CHL hockey is great entertainment! These kids typically skate hard, hit, play with passion and yeah, they make mistakes, but it makes for exciting games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think you nailed the real issue here....Even if he's somewhere around league minimum in the KHL, it's still a helluva lot better than $50 a week in meal money and riding the buses in the Canadian hinterland. I'm sure that even if survives half a year in KHL, he'll be miles ahead financially.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Painful to watch?! CHL hockey is great entertainment! These kids typically skate hard, hit, play with passion and yeah, they make mistakes, but it makes for exciting games.
Playoffs and World Jr's.. I agree. That's when they tighten up their shifts and the intensity ramps up and it often comes down to which team avoids the costly mistakes...

Regular season Jr. hockey... trying to watch those occasional SN broadcasts when the NHL isn't on.. oh man. the top lines stay on the ice for over a min... kills the intensity and energy. Ends up looking so slow. Try to watch to see the highly drafted prospect of whatever team is playing to give me something to look for.. but... Just not for me.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Playoffs and World Jr's.. I agree. That's when they tighten up their shifts and the intensity ramps up and it often comes down to which team avoids the costly mistakes...

Regular season Jr. hockey... trying to watch those occasional SN broadcasts when the NHL isn't on.. oh man. the top lines stay on the ice for over a min... kills the intensity and energy. Ends up looking so slow. Try to watch to see the highly drafted prospect of whatever team is playing to give me something to look for.. but... Just not for me.

You need to catch CHL games in a place like Spokane. Under $20, passionate fans, and cheap beers.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm surprised that people think the MHL is stronger than the CHL.

The MHL loses a lot of their top prospects to the VHL and KHL. Whereas the CHL has the 20 year old AHL agreement and the difficulty of the NHL to prevent that. The CHL also has a ton of top international prospects, whereas the MHL is overwhelmingly domestic.

Last time I looked into this, the MHL equivalencies were slightly higher than the CHL.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Not a great outing for him today. Fighting the puck a bit and wasn't able to gain much speed through the neutral zone.

So many squandered chances in the first from his teammates. One pass too many!

Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad