Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Doesnt look like his sketchy offense style translates all that well to pro hockey, like many predicted.

I've only watched two VHL games but he looked awful both times. Can't even make clean zone entries.

Belongs in the MHL.

The pick was a sound choice at the time. He had the best remaining combination of attributes, despite the lack of production.

That said, I probably would have picked Boldy there if forced to do so. What he gave up in 1 on 1 play he made up for with high efficiency plays and a better shot. Not to mention, better production. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out, but I don't fault the Canucks for going the way they did here.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Doesnt look like his sketchy offense style translates all that well to pro hockey, like many predicted.

I've only watched two VHL games but he looked awful both times. Can't even make clean zone entries.

Belongs in the MHL.

Two things: First, I don't know how you could have watched 2 of his 3 VHL games and drawn the conclusion that his play style is ineffective at the professional level. He has 2 points in 3 games and in his Sept 30 outing he was unlucky not to have 1G and 1A. ~30-40% of his shifts in the VHL he's been part of a scoring opportunity. Can it be improved upon? Certainly, but from what Daniel Gee has provided (thanks again!), he's constantly backing up defenders and poking giant holes in the offensive zone for his teammates to exploit. Points at this level appear only be a matter of time.

Second, if the MHL is a step above the CHL, I think we're applying an unfair double standard here. His last game in the MHL, he had 3A and it very well could have been 5A. If one of our highly touted prospects in his D+1 put in that kind of performance in the CHL, we'd be hyped. And this is not a hypothetical. I invite you to peruse our boards during Bo Horvat's or Cody Hodgson's dominant D+1 seasons.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I'm surprised that people think the MHL is stronger than the CHL.

The MHL loses a lot of their top prospects to the VHL and KHL. Whereas the CHL has the 20 year old AHL agreement and the difficulty of the NHL to prevent that. The CHL also has a ton of top international prospects, whereas the MHL is overwhelmingly domestic.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
continues to look great to me no matter what league. really appreciate the isolation film being posted to see for myself.

as for early concern about development being stalled due to limited khl minutes, i'd say he might be getting too much game time.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Two things: First, I don't know how you could have watched 2 of his 3 VHL games and drawn the conclusion that his play style is ineffective at the professional level. He has 2 points in 3 games and in his Sept 30 outing he was unlucky not to have 1G and 1A. ~30-40% of his shifts in the VHL he's been part of a scoring opportunity. Can it be improved upon? Certainly, but from what Daniel Gee has provided (thanks again!), he's constantly backing up defenders and poking giant holes in the offensive zone for his teammates to exploit. Points at this level appear only be a matter of time.

Second, if the MHL is a step above the CHL, I think we're applying an unfair double standard here. His last game in the MHL, he had 3A and it very well could have been 5A. If one of our highly touted prospects in his D+1 put in that kind of performance in the CHL, we'd be hyped. And this is not a hypothetical. I invite you to peruse our boards during Bo Horvat's or Cody Hodgson's dominant D+1 seasons.

Not sure where you are seeing 2 points in 3 games in the VHL. Elite prospects has 1 point.

I don't see bad luck being the issue at all so far. He doesn't bear down on his chances, similar to Goldobin. His all around game and effort level looks much better than Goldy though.

Another issue I see aside from producing offence is his tunnel vision zone entries. If there's no opening, he tries to force things and ends up losing the puck at the opposing blue line. He did this a lot in the games I watched.

Obviously he can improve but he looks terrible offensively so far to me at any level above junior.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Not sure where you are seeing 2 points in 3 games in the VHL. Elite prospects has 1 point.

I don't see bad luck being the issue at all so far. He doesn't bear down on his chances, similar to Goldobin. His all around game and effort level looks much better than Goldy though.

Another issue I see aside from producing offence is his tunnel vision zone entries. If there's no opening, he tries to force things and ends up losing the puck at the opposing blue line. He did this a lot in the games I watched.

Obviously he can improve but he looks terrible offensively so far to me at any level above junior.

I can see where you’re coming from and I too see similar warts in his game, especially the tunnel vision. But I disagree that it’s a matter of not ‘bearing down’. If anything, bearing down appears to be his first, second and third option and it ends up with him forcing what’s not there.

But I would say that it’s not a terrible thing. His attempts to probe the defense with speed creates so much chaos in the offensive zone. He’s forcing the opposition to leave big gaps in coverage. If he was more aware of this, he could create a lot of scoring opportunities off of it.

I think where we differ is that I’m optimistic that he’ll figure it out and maybe you aren’t.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
It's going to be another year where we won't be able to get a good handle on what he can do offensively. Rotating through the 3 teams like he is has to have a big affect on his game. But he is making the best of his situation by working hard. Watching him battle and retrieve pucks along the boards, and his ability to skate the puck up the ice gives me reason for optimism. He just turned 18, so there is plenty of time for point production to start coming along.

Reactions: DL44

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's going to be another year where we won't be able to get a good handle on what he can do offensively. Rotating through the 3 teams like he is has to have a big affect on his game. But he is making the best of his situation by working hard. Watching him battle and retrieve pucks along the boards, and his ability to skate the puck up the ice gives me reason for optimism. He just turned 18, so there is plenty of time for point production to start coming along.
It will help him develop elite level adaptability, heh... is that a thing?
Three yrs of this and then playing for only the Canucks with consistent line mates to develop chemistry will be mind blowing. Amirite?

Serious question for those watching and clipping his games... is he switching teams with any other teammates? Or is he the only one? If he isn’t the only one, are the kids switching with him playing with him... or does he have a different pair of line mates on each of his 3 teams? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It will help him develop elite level adaptability, heh... is that a thing?
Three yrs of this and then playing for only the Canucks with consistent line mates to develop chemistry will be mind blowing. Amirite?

Serious question for those watching and clipping his games... is he switching teams with any other teammates? Or is he the only one? If he isn’t the only one, are the kids switching with him playing with him... or does he have a different pair of line mates on each of his 3 teams? Thanks in advance.

Cant say for MHL / VHL but SKA is full of top tier KHL players. He is the only one getting this treatment on the main club.

Reactions: DL44

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
looking at Podkolzin's player stats on eliteprospects, its only his D+1 and its already looking like a veteran journeyman's resume.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think both Podkolzin and Hoglander will play for the Canucks eventually....and I suspect with very little seasoning. That's about all you can expect from the first two rounds of any draft.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think both Podkolzin and Hoglander will play for the Canucks eventually....and I suspect with very little seasoning. That's about all you can expect from the first two rounds of any draft.
Podz HAS TO get out of that backwords Russian league. Who knows with Hoglander,lets see what he can do this year tho starting in the right direction

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Much more judicious with his puckhandling. Set up some grade A chances that were promptly muffed by his linemates. His offense is going to come around, it's just a matter of gaining a bit of momentum.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
is it possible this guy has not played since saturday?
October 6th was his last game and SKA's VHL team's last game.

My assumption is that he's sticking with the VHL team for the time being. SKA's main and junior teams have played since, but Podkolzin wasn't in dressed in any of those games. Also his last four games have been in the VHL.

The VHL team plays tomorrow, he should be in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad