Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Was just rewatching the vid and I don't think there will be anything more cringe than the draft pronunciation of his name. :laugh: It's so off I'm surprised he even knew it was him.

Haha well Podkolzin is the undisputed far away best and highest ranked Russian prospect in the draft. Once you say from St. Petersburg of the KHL there is no reasonable possibility that they meant someone else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thank God Podkolzin is apparently penciled into the CHL-Russia hockey challenge series; and is a lock for their WJHC team. Otherwise, bouncing back and forth between two or three leagues, is somewhat of a lost season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
40 point player with the 10 overall pick. Need to raise your standards if this team is going anywhere.

Except in reality that's not a bad return. I'll be happy if Podkolzin ends up being a 20+ goals 40-45 points winger who plays a an effective 200 foot game.

If you look at past 10th overall picks, outside of Rantenen and D, you're getting Tippett, Jost, Ritchie, and Nichushkin. Going further back you're getting Paajarvi, Hodgson, and Frolik.

The odds are you're not getting a JT Miller level player. But if Pods is a top 3 talent then he should hopefully be turn into a steal of the draft.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
1:30 of ice-time today. My guess is that they think there's some benefit to him in sitting on the bench and maybe taking a couple of shifts, while perhaps the VHL team is on a break in the schedule? I'd expect that his ice-time will pick up next game or that he'll be sent back down.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
1:30 of ice-time today. My guess is that they think there's some benefit to him in sitting on the bench and maybe taking a couple of shifts, while perhaps the VHL team is on a break in the schedule? I'd expect that his ice-time will pick up next game or that he'll be sent back down.

yep, they may be auditioning him for the big team again and repeating the ritual.
kind of like the rookie solo skate only more involved.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

If a team has the luxury to do that (as in they have a long bench) that's not a bad option. I mean I'm sure the Canucks would rather throw Gaudette out there for a shift or two than have him be a healthy scratch.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin was rated the third best player in the draft after Hughes and Kakko for most of the season....and then in the last month and a half, dropped all the way to 10th.

And really, other than 'the Russian factor' there was no real reason for it. It's not like the guy suddenly lost the skills that propelled him to the top of the draft board in the first place.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think a lot of teams drafting in the 3-9 slot will have buyer's remorse once all the 2019 picks are playing regularly in the NHL.

Reactions: MikeK

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
To be fair his lack of production in his draft year was a significant reason as to why he dropped.
He deserved to drop. Never liked this pick and I always prefer to pick the late risers than guys that have tanked down draft lists

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Podkolzin was rated the third best player in the draft after Hughes and Kakko for most of the season....and then in the last month and a half, dropped all the way to 10th.

And really, other than 'the Russian factor' there was no real reason for it. It's not like the guy suddenly lost the skills that propelled him to the top of the draft board in the first place.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think a lot of teams drafting in the 3-9 slot will have buyer's remorse once all the 2019 picks are playing regularly in the NHL.

Among all major publications, I don't think he ever dropped outside of top 10. I think McKeens is the only one at 11. Most penciled him gone before us at 6-8.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
To be fair his lack of production in his draft year was a significant reason as to why he dropped.
Except that a lot of the guys drafted ahead of Podkolzin were playing for the USTNDP in the States of the CHL in Canada and wracking up points against junior competition. Podkolzin was stuck in the KHL trying to get ice-time at the expense of pros who are 10 years older.

So naturally his production 'dropped'. You can't score if you can't get on the ice.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Except that a lot of the guys drafted ahead of Podkolzin were playing for the USTNDP in the States of the CHL in Canada and wracking up points against junior competition. Podkolzin was stuck in the KHL trying to get ice-time at the expense of pros who are 10 years older.

So naturally his production 'dropped'. You can't score if you can't get on the ice.

I’m not saying there weren’t real reasons for his lack of production but it was a reason he fell

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I think his U20s and especially his U18s had a negative effect more than the KHL

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He deserved to drop. Never liked this pick and I always prefer to pick the late risers than guys that have tanked down draft lists

How are you defining late risers vs guys that tanked? Are you basing it purely on pre-draft rankings among publications? A guy like Byram rose in rankings with the great season he had and ended up being drafted 4th overall. I'm thinking he is not a late riser? What about a guy like Seider who kind of rose in the rankings but wasn't like Broberg who was rumored to go high in the draft. Is he a late riser? Newhook was actually ranked higher than 16 before the season so he shouldn't be considered a late riser.

My point is that at #10 who were the "late risers" available that were legitimately reasonable picks at 10? In hindsight, Caufield and Krebs were fallers. Heinola was a potential late riser but didn't really get there at the draft. As mentioned, Newhook didn't really rise compared to his earlier rankings. Boldy didn't really rise or fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad