Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He has a powerful stride but needs better edge-work. it would give him some much needed agility.
He's a relentless worker out there. Just hounds the puck....

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He has a powerful stride but needs better edge-work. it would give him some much needed agility.
He's a relentless worker out there. Just hounds the puck....

He's very hunched over, which can be advantageous in lowering his center of gravity. But it can hamper his agility, especially when the play is stop-and-start like it was in the previous game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He's very hunched over, which can be advantageous in lowering his center of gravity. But it can hamper his agility, especially when the play is stop-and-start like it was in the previous game.

he skates a little hunched over like i recall smyl did (not that i can find tape of smyl skating to verify that recollection)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not going to happen. He’s going to be playing there until his contract is filled. He won’t be coming to Vancouver until he is basically guaranteed an NHL spot

The whole point of my comment was asking if anybody knows any of the parts of the terms of this contract. In other words how much is he making right now. He isn’t coming over to play in the 8HL, when he will be making more in Russia. I am sure he will have the same deal that Tryamkin did. In other words if they try to send him to Utica he will book back to Russia

I don't think it's all about how much he is making. Cost of living is lower there (at least for locals) and his family is close by. It can be pretty scary for a 16/17 year old thinking of leaving home to a foreign country to play hockey when staying home until he is 20 is a viable option. While that's treated as a negative as you want players who just wants to play in the NHL, there's also something to be said for a player who is willing to stay patient.

Reactions: kaczor47

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Not going to happen. He’s going to be playing there until his contract is filled. He won’t be coming to Vancouver until he is basically guaranteed an NHL spot

The whole point of my comment was asking if anybody knows any of the parts of the terms of this contract. In other words how much is he making right now. He isn’t coming over to play in the 8HL, when he will be making more in Russia. I am sure he will have the same deal that Tryamkin did. In other words if they try to send him to Utica he will book back to Russia
A good article describing the relationship between the KHL and VHL can be found here:

Down on the Farm: The VHL and the KHL

It isn't clear whether there are two-way contracts in Russia, but we do know that Podkolzin's contract is with a KHL team and that the minimum salary in the KHL is inconsistently reported to be around $50,000. Podkolzin is a high-end prospect and I assume he was able to command a bit more than that but I am not basing this on anything concrete. It's fairly common for athletes to get loans against future earnings but there may be rules against using them to buy out contracts, labour agreements in sports leagues often seem to have a surprising reach into the financial activity of their players.

EDIT: The blog I linked to is updated regularly and I bet that the author would be happy to tell you what he knows about KHL/VHL contracts.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
A good article describing the relationship between the KHL and VHL can be found here:

Down on the Farm: The VHL and the KHL

It isn't clear whether there are two-way contracts in Russia, but we do know that Podkolzin's contract is with a KHL team and that the minimum salary in the KHL is inconsistently reported to be around $50,000. Podkolzin is a high-end prospect and I assume he was able to command a bit more than that but I am not basing this on anything concrete. It's fairly common for athletes to get loans against future earnings but there may be rules against using them to buy out contracts, labour agreements in sports leagues often seem to have a surprising reach into the financial activity of their players.

EDIT: The blog I linked to is updated regularly and I bet that the author would be happy to tell you what he knows about KHL/VHL contracts.

Great article thanks

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Like his forechecking.
Actually reminds me a bit more of Jannik Hansen. A Jannik Hansen who scores even 10-20% more would be an amazing asset.

Reactions: lindgren

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Like his forechecking.
Actually reminds me a bit more of Jannik Hansen. A Jannik Hansen who scores even 10-20% more would be an amazing asset.

Right, but we should probably hope for better production with a 10th overall pick. Jannik was a career 33pt/82 pace player, 20% increase would be 40 points.

I won't disagree that yes we need to keep adding good NHL players in a variety of roles to our roster, but the value of the draft position needs to be factored in here and it would be a disappointment to get a Hansen type with a 10OV.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Right, but we should probably hope for better production with a 10th overall pick. Jannik was a career 33pt/82 pace player, 20% increase would be 40 points.

I won't disagree that yes we need to keep adding good NHL players in a variety of roles to our roster, but the value of the draft position needs to be factored in here and it would be a disappointment to get a Hansen type with a 10OV.

Taking into account this past draft, I'd be happy with a 40 point winger with grit.

Reactions: pomorick

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I think he’s at 8 points in 11 VHL games, coming off a 2 point performance. A bit premature to pin him as a 33 pt third liner.

I think there’s reason to believe he ends up as a complementary top 6 winger who plays a 200 foot game. He might look really good alongside Horvat in a couple of years.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
By hook or by crook I’d be trying to get him playing hockey in NA next season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Also another example of how relentless Podkolzin is, when he wants the puck from you, he won't stop hounding.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he is heating up, about to reach the same output in the MHL last year in half the number of games.

Reactions: lindgren

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Was just rewatching the vid and I don't think there will be anything more cringe than the draft pronunciation of his name. :laugh: It's so off I'm surprised he even knew it was him.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Was just rewatching the vid and I don't think there will be anything more cringe than the draft pronunciation of his name. :laugh: It's so off I'm surprised he even knew it was him.

there was a kid called Vasiliya Fobfozy who stood up 4 rows down and started walking towards the stage until someone grabbed him.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks Daniel Gee,

as solid as the Canucks young core is right now with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko. We still have Podkolzin on the burner who will likely make an impact within 2 years.

It's a great time to be a Canucks fan.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Nice goal. He also creates so many chances for his teammates, but for whatever reason they aren't burying them. Which line is he on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad