Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I remember so many people being against Soderstrom before the draft.
This. This board was very anti-Soderstrom and Broberg.

In fairness, not much has changed yet. Soderstrom was obviously going to be more NHL ready after playing with men all year, his question was always what's his ceiling which has yet to be answered.

As long as Podkolzin's getting enough rest I like their development plan for him, there's no substitute for ice time for teenagers developing their game. Chemistry with teammates is overrated for developing players, the only issue might be if he's getting conflicting instruction from the different coaches for what they want him doing.

Daniel Gee

Sep 2, 2019
twitter.com
Just picking them apart in the 3rd period. Have to wonder if the level of hockey in the MHL is the main factor here. How does MHL stack up with CHL in terms of level of play/age of players?
I can't speak too much to it, but it is a junior league. The VHL and obviously KHL are considered pro leagues. All of the MHL players are pretty close in age to Podkolzin. He's actually a huge target down there with his status of being a draft pick and a KHL player. Lost of dirty hits and players trying to get at him.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just picking them apart in the 3rd period. Have to wonder if the level of hockey in the MHL is the main factor here. How does MHL stack up with CHL in terms of level of play/age of players?

MHL is slightly better than the CHL.

VHL is close to, but better than the Allsvenskan.

KHL is the best non-NHL league.

A dominant VHL performance and a middling KHL performance would keep him on track, IMO. There would be more assurance about his NHL production. As is, Podkolzin is shy of this right now.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I can't speak too much to it, but it is a junior league. The VHL and obviously KHL are considered pro leagues. All of the MHL players are pretty close in age to Podkolzin. He's actually a huge target down there with his status of being a draft pick and a KHL player. Lost of dirty hits and players trying to get at him.

I see. So this would be like a high draft pick returning to Junior and tearing up the league in his D+1. Nice to know he’s at least capable of doing that.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The clear majority of current top-6 NHL forwards who played in the KHL in their D+1 did not achieve middling production there and Podkolzin is younger relative to his class than nearly all of them. The statistics have been posted there and I assume you've read them.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to me that the focus of the KHL is a lot different than NHL teams. Coaches are under tremendous pressure to win and are going to default to veteran, older players every time.

Player development doesn't seem to me to be much of a priority in KHL. I guess that's because they're not really grooming young players for a long career in the KHL. Most of the better ones like Podkolzin drafted in the first round will end up in N.A. anyway. So why would you invest time in a rookie who might cost you games today, in the hopes that he'll have a better future that probably won't happen in your league anyway?

It's just too bad he has a two-year contract. I'm wondering if there's any chance of him getting out of his KHL contract early? After all, at the end of this season he'll only have one more season in the KHL anyway.

Reactions: duplo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Seems to me that the focus of the KHL is a lot different than NHL teams. Coaches are under tremendous pressure to win and are going to default to veteran, older players every time.

Player development doesn't seem to me to be much of a priority in KHL. I guess that's because they're not really grooming young players for a long career in the KHL. Most of the better ones like Podkolzin drafted in the first round will end up in N.A. anyway. So why would you invest time in a rookie who might cost you games today, in the hopes that he'll have a better future that probably won't happen in your league anyway?

It's just too bad he has a two-year contract. I'm wondering if there's any chance of him getting out of his KHL contract early? After all, at the end of this season he'll only have one more season in the KHL anyway.

I think he has a good chance of forcing his way to the regular lineup next season and be the 1st guy to see more ice when injuries happen this year.

He is practicing with some of the best players not in the NHL. I think the value of this can get lost.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
18:59 of ice time, four shots, and no points today in the VHL for Pod.

The SKA main team also had a game today. Of note that they are now playing him in the VHL/MHL over the KHL when they have games on the same day.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Doesnt look like his sketchy offense style translates all that well to pro hockey, like many predicted.

I've only watched two VHL games but he looked awful both times. Can't even make clean zone entries.

Belongs in the MHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad