Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
He seems to really lean into his shots to get off a decent shot. I think if he works on the mechanics of his shot and tries to improve his release, then he may not need as much time to get off a shot? Just speculation based on his general poor shot and how he seems to lean his body into all his shots, all that leaning and using your weight to get off a shot, allows a d man to get his stick in there most of the time. I am no expert in this area but it seems like hes shoveling the shot off with his body and not using his wrists at all and this seems to be every time

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
"Valery Bragin said more than once that Podkolzin could also play as a center."

Vasily Podkolzin: "When you have a chance, you need to use it"

He would probably dominate at Centre in the NHL.

I started the discussion on HFBoards about this, I have been advocating for this for sometime

Prospect Info: - Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

The entire PT 3 had a lot of discussion regarding it afterwards

As I said, he has the tools. He has the hockey sense/passing vision, defensive ability and passing ability. His offensive stats lack because of his lack of shot and goal scoring instincts

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Maybe because of his all over the place playing situation, his offensive ability and his shot haven't been allowed to be on display too much, but in those highlights his shot looks decent. In the 2 scouting reports I have from his draft year, his shot is said to be one of his strengths, along with his skating, which is another area which some people seem to think is one of his weaknesses.

"Podkolzin has all the offensive tools needed to become an elite-level player. He has great top speed and he can make plays at high speed. He’s capable of making quick turns. His shot is amazing but he also has the vision and passing skills to be a good playmaker. His one-on-one skills are great as well". - Dobber Prospects.

"Podkolzin is a good skater, featuring a powerful stride that generates good speed and also allows him to fight through checks and control the puck down low. He has a good first step and above average acceleration. The true standout area of Podkolzin’s game is his ability to be a sniper. A natural goal scorer, Podkolzin has a strong wrist shot with a lightning quick release. This release can fool goaltenders and he beats them off the rush. He has shown the smarts to use a defender as a screen when taking this shot. His soft hands also allow him to finish in close to the net. Most impressive though is his one-timer, which is a rocket." - lastwordonsports.com

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I have watched him for a few years starting with the Hlinka and he impresses in lots of areas but the 2 that stand out to me are that he is tenacious on the puck and the other is his playmaking. He sets up stunned shooters several times a game for unbelievable scoring chances which are often not converted because the shooters are not prepared for the tap in.

He is an unusual player though and has a power of will to impose himself on a game that is rare. His style is a bit like ROR but he is better in most aspects of the game compared to ROR at the same age.

I think he will be far more impactful at centre than as a winger and more valuable as well but we shall see if they Nucks consider it.

Reactions: Deezone

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Maybe because of his all over the place playing situation, his offensive ability and his shot haven't been allowed to be on display too much, but in those highlights his shot looks decent. In the 2 scouting reports I have from his draft year, his shot is said to be one of his strengths, along with his skating, which is another area which some people seem to think is one of his weaknesses.

"Podkolzin has all the offensive tools needed to become an elite-level player. He has great top speed and he can make plays at high speed. He’s capable of making quick turns. His shot is amazing but he also has the vision and passing skills to be a good playmaker. His one-on-one skills are great as well". - Dobber Prospects.

"Podkolzin is a good skater, featuring a powerful stride that generates good speed and also allows him to fight through checks and control the puck down low. He has a good first step and above average acceleration. The true standout area of Podkolzin’s game is his ability to be a sniper. A natural goal scorer, Podkolzin has a strong wrist shot with a lightning quick release. This release can fool goaltenders and he beats them off the rush. He has shown the smarts to use a defender as a screen when taking this shot. His soft hands also allow him to finish in close to the net. Most impressive though is his one-timer, which is a rocket." - lastwordonsports.com

Yeah well I can find some highly inaccurate reads/scouting reports on a lot of players. But more than likely, his shot was good for his level but his shot hasn't continued to develop as quickly as his peers. Players develop quite quickly at a young age that it doesn't take long for a player to fall behind or for a report to be inaccurate. His accuracy is very poor and he needs a lot to get a decent shot off, a lot of effort and a lot of space. I dont think many people would disagree with this, who have watched him in recent year or two.

I think it is easy to confuse a player with a good shot when you see him get off a good shot with time and space. But as you get to higher levels and don't have the time and space, all of a sudden their shot is no longer as good due to their slow release and maximum effort needed. It is possible that in time, players of that age that are goal scorers, their release continue to develop, whereas his stayed the same and hes developed in other areas

I would say his hands in tight are also limiting his top end ability, however that's something that can get good enough to put in goals in the NHL given his size and work ethic but he hasn't shown this ability yet

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Yeah well I can find some highly inaccurate reads/scouting reports on a lot of players. But more than likely, his shot was good for his level but his shot hasn't continued to develop as quickly as his peers. Players develop quite quickly at a young age that it doesn't take long for a player to fall behind or for a report to be inaccurate. His accuracy is very poor and he needs a lot to get a decent shot off, a lot of effort and a lot of space. I dont think many people would disagree with this, who have watched him in recent year or two.

I think it is easy to confuse a player with a good shot when you see him get off a good shot with time and space. But as you get to higher levels and don't have the time and space, all of a sudden their shot is no longer as good due to their slow release and maximum effort needed. It is possible that in time, players of that age that are goal scorers, their release continue to develop, whereas his stayed the same and hes developed in other areas

Last 4 games for Podkolzin, he has gotten lots of shots on net, so he must be getting the shot off fairly quickly. Really hard for anybody (including myself) to get a good handle on this guy except through highlights and stats, and reports. Everything I have seen tells me he will be a lot like Hoglander, where despite unspectacular numbers in Europe, their game translates well to the NHL. The smaller ice surface will really benefit him, and like Hoglaner will rush a lot of passers, which creates turnovers. And like Hoglander, he has the skill to capitalize on those turnovers.

Despite all the recent doom and gloom, the Canucks future looks really good.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
He's getting shots, he's not getting the quality of shots that beat pro goaltenders. Because of his release and accuracy

"Aside from his defensive game, Podkolzin said that he’s used his time with the coaches in the KHL to work on his skating and his hands. Those two skills are the ones Podkolzin needs to improve the most, according to Brown."

'He wants to play for the Canucks': Elite prospect Vasili Podkolzin has sights set on starring in Vancouver

For a closer look at Podkolzin’s play, The Athletic contributor Mitch Brown has watched nearly every second of KHL action where Podkolzin played more than three minutes. Brown had him ranked 10th going into the 2019 draft.

---

His top end speed is great, due to his power. His edge work and detail, not as much

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He would probably dominate at Centre in the NHL.

ok have you seen him play centre? pls kindly answer yes or no.

the reason why I'm saying this is because high gear forcheckers are wingers. Centremans will not be the 1st ones to "forecheck" on most occasions, they are the usually the last forwards to go in, and usually the 1st forwards to go back in defensive zone.

if he's suddenly shifted to Centre, he can't play that hard nose fore checking game, i'm not saying he won't be able to do it, no, but priority won't be first in forechecker anymore.

but good to know he can play centre if he can.

Reactions: Diversification

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
ok have you seen him play centre? pls kindly answer yes or no.

the reason why I'm saying this is because high gear forcheckers are wingers. Centremans will not be the 1st ones to "forecheck" on most occasions, they are the usually the last forwards to go in, and usually the 1st forwards to go back in defensive zone.

He attacks the player with the puck anywhere on the ice, he doesn't need to be the first one in to succeed. He also loves to backcheck. Basically anybody with the puck. He is usually very quick to get back and forecheck. He hustles in all 3 zones. His offensive game isn't based around being hard on the forecheck, actually right now he has no offensive game besides slowing it down a bit and finding an open man to pass to or driving the net off the rush. Or simply being a net presence to create traffic but not in a position to do anything after the shot, or playing behind the net on the PP (to one side)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Last 4 games for Podkolzin, he has gotten lots of shots on net, so he must be getting the shot off fairly quickly. Really hard for anybody (including myself) to get a good handle on this guy except through highlights and stats, and reports. Everything I have seen tells me he will be a lot like Hoglander, where despite unspectacular numbers in Europe, their game translates well to the NHL. The smaller ice surface will really benefit him, and like Hoglaner will rush a lot of passers, which creates turnovers. And like Hoglander, he has the skill to capitalize on those turnovers.

Despite all the recent doom and gloom, the Canucks future looks really good.

How do you say things like this.

First, to be really good you need a very good defense. Moving ahead we have an aging Elder, who is near the end, a high end offensive but presently weak defensively Hughes, a decent player in Schmidt, a very flawed bottom pairing type in Myers, a very fringe Benn (who will soon be retired), a chronically battered up Hamonic on one year contract and then a much of players who might not be able to play in the League at all.

So you have Schmidt (on the back nine) and Hughes (defensively suspect) as anything like high end defensemen moving ahead.

It takes year to develop defensemen. And we have nothing like any in the organization whose guaranteed to develop. You can dream all you want about Rathbone, Joulevi or Chatfield becoming bona vide NHL defensemen. But until we have some proof of that it is sheer and mostly unfounded speculation. And we have nothing like that high end two way stud you build defenses around.

In many ways we are starting from scratch with the defense.

Also look at our bottom 6. All of Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson are already done and must be replaced. In addition, none of Virtanen, Gaudette or MacEwen have shown enough to believe that they are true NHL players. Virtanen and Gaudette, in particular, look like they need to be moved out for whatever we can get (maybe a low draft choice). Again it will take years to develop people to fill those positions and we have no players presently in the organization that look like they can.

Nor is goaltending necessarily secure into the future. This is Demko first year as a starter and we still don't know if he can be a long term solution. Furthermore, Holtby will be gone soon enough.

Moreover, the only near term way to get some of the players needed to provide any sort of replacement for those positions is through free agency and that is universally conceded, and shown by the Canucks themselves, not to be the way to build a team - especially with Benning in charge. Moreover as our young players age we will need to up their salaries making it difficult to have the cap space to acquire better players.

We do have some young players that may continue to develop. (namely Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander and Hughes) And maybe, although we are not even sure of this, Podkolzin will be good enough to be seen in their category. . But the situation with the defense, the bottom six (and maybe the goaltending) is very bad and will need extensive time and work.

Saying the future is bright when there are so many long term problems is glib and based, at best, on a kind of desperate hope. Time to get real here.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yup, I believe if he plays seven games this year he burns a year of waiver exemption etc.
so look for the Canucks brain trust to play him for 8 games.

I assume they don't keep up with the current CBA rules like the time Weisbrod offer sheeted ROR in Calgary; a transaction that would have required ROR to pass through waivers where they would lose him for nothing (like Madden) and would have required the Flames to give up multiple high draft picks for nothing (like the 2nd accompanying Madden).

Reactions: Luckylarry

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Yup, I believe if he plays seven games this year he burns a year of waiver exemption etc.
so look for the Canucks brain trust to play him for 8 games.

I assume they don't keep up with the current CBA rules like the time Weisbrod offer sheeted ROR in Calgary; a transaction that would have required ROR to pass through waivers where they would lose him for nothing (like Madden) and would have required the Flames to give up multiple high draft picks for nothing (like the 2nd accompanying Madden).
I'm not as concerned about burning a year of waiver exemption, I really doubt Podkolzin will be sent to the minor once he comes over anyways. He has the work ethic and defensive game to play bottom 6 if needed, so even if his offense don't translate in the NHL, he can still play in a 3rd line role. Being able to skate and practice with the NHL'ers, as well as access to the best skills and skating trainers, will probably help him more than playing in the minor. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
If he burns a year, then his contract is up for renewal sooner. Meaning his salary probably becomes a bridge in the 2-5M range depending on how he does.

It does matter if the Nucks, adrift a Salary Cap swamp, ever try to make shore again.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I see more benefit in a player's contract being up sooner than not

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
and what are those benefits ?

The only time it benefits you is if the player doesn't outperform their ELC contract handily. Like, if we had a third year from Boeser/Hughes that is massively valuable, but if we burned a year on Juolevi or Virtanen, or like we did with Gaudette, who cares.

If you expect Podkolzin to be a great player, you don't want to give up that third ELC year unless you absolutely have to.

Reactions: CpatainCanuck

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
The only time it benefits you is if the player doesn't outperform their ELC contract handily. Like, if we had a third year from Boeser/Hughes that is massively valuable, but if we burned a year on Juolevi or Virtanen, or like we did with Gaudette, who cares.

If you expect Podkolzin to be a great player, you don't want to give up that third ELC year unless you absolutely have to.

Wrong. It's not so cut and dry. It depends on the state of the team of course, if you have a great young player and you are competing for a cup over the next 2 years.. basically your window is right that very moment... then you of course want to have any player at cheaper and you could care less about long term

But if you aren't and you want the best value for the next contract... 2 years is not much time. Not only do most not prove themselves in that short amount of time due to either not being fully developed or because of opportunity, even if they do quickly, say, the 2nd year, they've only proved themselves for one year. Look at Pettersson now, because it's only been 2 years... had been getting a contract right htis moment. it wouldn't be massive. yet if he dominated without a blip for 3 years, you can bet his contract would be substantially more. A single year is huge for development at that age and it takes multiple years and increasing your numbers to truly earn the largest contract possible, GMs aren't going to throw around max money for 2 years of top play. Not only that, you have more years to work a secondary contract for a bit of a contingency plan if things are unclear.

I am not sure about this part but based on the years remaining, I think you are more likely to get a player until closer to the free agency, but not quite free agency , meaning the big (3rd) contract will likely eat far more prime years. if you truly want them VERY long term.

I mean lets be honest, it typically takes a while for kids to really perform and usually takes a second contract and you most likely wont run that contract until 27, the closer they are to that free agency, the more likely they are thinking about it when the next contract comes

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
These intermission announcers are annoying as hell. No wonder I normally dont ever watch their crap analysis

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Wrong. It's not so cut and dry. It depends on the state of the team of course, if you have a great young player and you are competing for a cup over the next 2 years.. basically your window is right that very moment... then you of course want to have any player at cheaper and you could care less about long term

But if you aren't and you want the best value for the next contract... 2 years is not much time. Not only do most not prove themselves in that short amount of time due to either not being fully developed or because of opportunity, even if they do quickly, say, the 2nd year, they've only proved themselves for one year. Look at Pettersson now, because it's only been 2 years... had been getting a contract right htis moment. it wouldn't be massive. yet if he dominated without a blip for 3 years, you can bet his contract would be substantially more. A single year is huge for development at that age and it takes multiple years and increasing your numbers to truly earn the largest contract possible, GMs aren't going to throw around max money for 2 years of top play. Not only that, you have more years to work a secondary contract for a bit of a contingency plan if things are unclear.

I am not sure about this part but based on the years remaining, I think you are more likely to get a player until closer to the free agency, but not quite free agency , meaning the big (3rd) contract will likely eat far more prime years. if you truly want them VERY long term.

I mean lets be honest, it typically takes a while for kids to really perform and usually takes a second contract and you most likely wont run that contract until 27, the closer they are to that free agency, the more likely they are thinking about it when the next contract comes

There is also a message to the player. You manipulate him so he makes less money regardless of how he plays, you have another Tryamkin opt for Russia situation. Teat him fairly. Give him his games if he plays well. So you have one year of having to pay him early, BFD. Live with it. FCS, you might get a better deal than if you wait a year.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I believe that Podkolzin is pointless after Russia's first two games at the Beijer Hockey Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad