Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Couldn't he still play for 9 games without burning a year?
No. It would be exactly like Boeser, Gaudette, and Hughes. They would burn the year of the ELC if he's signed in 2021. The only positive is that he would be a 10.2C RFA in 2 years meaning he's not eligible to be offersheeted, not that those ever happen anyways.

I think good teams that plan on being contenders soon don't rush the signing and value the 3 cost controlled ELC years. Werenski for example was signed, for the following season and given a PTO to the AHL.

It's just not worth it, unless you think a 19 year old rookie with a significant language barrier coming to a new country and culture, with covid protocols, is going to be a significant difference maker in getting deep in the playoffs.

Bring him over early if you want, but I wouldn't burn a year.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
No. It would be exactly like Boeser, Gaudette, and Hughes. They would burn the year of the ELC if he's signed in 2021. The only positive is that he would be a 10.2C RFA in 2 years meaning he's not eligible to be offersheeted, not that those ever happen anyways.

I think good teams that plan on being contenders soon don't rush the signing and value the 3 cost controlled ELC years. Werenski for example was signed, for the following season and given a PTO to the AHL.

It's just not worth it, unless you think a 19 year old rookie with a significant language barrier coming to a new country and culture, with covid protocols, is going to be a significant difference maker in getting deep in the playoffs.

Bring him over early if you want, but I wouldn't burn a year.

Fir enough, but I would sign him the first chance you get, and play as soon as you can. I want this kid getting an NHL salary right away. It may be rushing things a bit, but we need to do everything we can to keep him enthused about being here. he is going to be a stud in a couple of years.

Reactions: Deezone

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fir enough, but I would sign him the first chance you get, and play as soon as you can. I want this kid getting an NHL salary right away. It may be rushing things a bit, but we need to do everything we can to keep him enthused about being here. he is going to be a stud in a couple of years.
Which is exactly why 3 ELC years should be the priority.

I guess it depends on whether the team looks like it's going to be in the playoffs. We've got a while to worry about it yet, but in 2-3 years when the team is wanting to be a powerhouse....sorry billy, had to do it...having hopefully two top 6/9 wingers in Pod and Hog on sub $1m ELC's will be precious in order to be able to add contending pieces around the core.

You probably don't want to have Hog and Pod needing deals the same year either.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Which is exactly why 3 ELC years should be the priority.

I guess it depends on whether the team looks like it's going to be in the playoffs. We've got a while to worry about it yet, but in 2-3 years when the team is wanting to be a powerhouse....sorry billy, had to do it...having hopefully two top 6/9 wingers in Pod and Hog on sub $1m ELC's will be precious in order to be able to add contending pieces around the core.

You probably don't want to have Hog and Pod needing deals the same year either.

We just disagree is all .. no big deal. I want to make sure this guy is tied up as soon as we can. He's not going to be getting EP or Hughes money in a few years ... I think a fair expectation is that he is a good 2 way player and cashes in something $3.75 M x 3 as his bridge deal. I don't think trying to save about $2.5 M for one year is going to make a difference to our chances at a deep run in 2 to 3 years.

Reactions: Luckylarry

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
The Russian factor is as real as the College factor

might be fear but burning a year of ELC might a good move in some cases

I don’t know if it’s a good idea for Podz as there is nothing Russia is offering him with their poor ice time and 4th line roles

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
podkolzin is a HOLD for me. short squeeze coming soon for his PPG production in the nhl

Reactions: Hansen

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I voted May. Assuming we can get him then, I'm betting management would continue the trend of adding capable rookies when they become available.

If it were me, I'd add him ASAP if we're looking like a playoff team (not just a mathematically possible pretender). Otherwise, next year. The caveat is that I'd like him moved over here ASAP, whether playing or not, to get the lay of the land and learn English.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I voted May. Assuming we can get him then, I'm betting management would continue the trend of adding capable rookies when they become available.

If it were me, I'd add him ASAP if we're looking like a playoff team (not just a mathematically possible pretender). Otherwise, next year. The caveat is that I'd like him moved over here ASAP, whether playing or not, to get the lay of the land and learn English.
Yeah sounds like wont come April So I tried editing the poll to ELEMINATE it but is there but you can STILL edit your vote and put that if ya want (to anyone) who wishes to

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It's so great to see Podkolzin finding an offensive groove in the KHL. Canucks need him to pan out badly.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
podkolzin is a HOLD for me. short squeeze coming soon for his PPG production in the nhl

I've got diamond hands for podz. Holding out for his ppg to go to 1.5!

I feel like the wallstreetbets memes would make more sense in the management thread...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What gives me some hope for both Podkolzin and Hoglander is how relentless they are on the puck. They're both 'driven' hockey players with non-stop motors.

They'll still have their ups and downs like every young player coming into the league. But when you play the game with that much passion and determination, only good things can happen.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Never been a fan of burning years on ELC’s at the end of years.

but if he shows well Vancouver won’t feel obligated potentially to resign Pearson if he shows well in a short stint.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It wasn't on the list, but I would have voted 'next season'. They need to keep Podkolzin as far away from the current train-wreck as they can. Nothing good can come from him playing a few meaningless games on a team playing out a string at the end of the season.

Besides, it would cost the Canucks a year of his ELC eligibility if he comes over early. We're not talking about an NCAA player who could walk for nothing after this senior season. The Canucks will control Podkolzin's NHL rights for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad