Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just 'part of the treatment' for young players trying to flee Mother Russia earlier than people want them to. And to think that there are still some people on these boards who pooh-poohed the notion that 'politics' have more to do with Podkolzin's KHL stats than anything.

I really hope the Canucks can find a way to keep him in NA after the World Juniors are over in Alberta....basically a waste of time going back to the KHL for four more meaningless months.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Just 'part of the treatment' for young players trying to flee Mother Russia earlier than people want them to. And to think that there are still some people on these boards who pooh-poohed the notion that 'politics' have more to do with Podkolzin's KHL stats than anything.

I really hope the Canucks can find a way to keep him in NA after the World Juniors are over in Alberta....basically a waste of time going back to the KHL for four more meaningless months.

Easily, just kidnap him from the Alberta bubble.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Pretty sensitive in the Motherland. You can have him back in 15 years don’t worry.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
However, the Russian fans reacting to this article about Podkolzin are overwhelmingly pissed off and critical of this hack of an author. Following Lucbourdon's brilliant lead, on the main board I've Google-translated and quoted a representative Russian fan comment:

"The guy is only 19 years old and no one makes a Russian McDavid out of him, except for the author of the article and Rottenberg. A lot of high-flown words, but almost no analysis. Where is the analysis of the line-ups and games in which the SKA player came out? But, it really could show the real state of the hockey player. But apparently, the real analysis was not included in the plans of the writer. IMHO, all this scribbling looks like serving the interests of big capital to the detriment of the interests of a professional athlete. From the side it is rather disgusting and disgusting."

There's more on the main board's Podkolzin thread, and a lot more in the Russian fans' reactions to the article. You might be surprised like I was. If anyone thinks there's some monolithic "Russian media attack" on Podkolzin, or at least an attack that the local fans agree with, they'd be very mistaken.

Reactions: Deezone

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
However, the Russian fans reacting to this article about Podkolzin are overwhelmingly pissed off and critical of this hack of an author. Following Lucbourdon's brilliant lead, on the main board I've Google-translated and quoted a representative Russian fan comment:

"The guy is only 19 years old and no one makes a Russian McDavid out of him, except for the author of the article and Rottenberg. A lot of high-flown words, but almost no analysis. Where is the analysis of the line-ups and games in which the SKA player came out? But, it really could show the real state of the hockey player. But apparently, the real analysis was not included in the plans of the writer. IMHO, all this scribbling looks like serving the interests of big capital to the detriment of the interests of a professional athlete. From the side it is rather disgusting and disgusting."

There's more on the main board's Podkolzin thread, and a lot more in the Russian fans' reactions to the article. You might be surprised like I was. If anyone thinks there's some monolithic "Russian media attack" on Podkolzin, or at least an attack that the local fans agree with, they'd be very mistaken.

Thanks for the clarification. Although with Russian journalists, you always have to wonder whether they're just mouthing their own opinions, or whether they're pontificating on behalf a larger (official) audience. There's still a hangover from the old Pravda days.

Regardless, all Podkolzin has to do is captain his Russian team to the World Junior Hockey championship gold medal, and all will be forgiven and forgotten. Thank God his coach is Igor Larionov instead of the dinosaur coaching SKA St. Petersburg.

Reactions: 701 and Deezone

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Thanks for the clarification. Although with Russian journalists, you always have to wonder whether they're just mouthing their own opinions, or whether they're pontificating on behalf a larger (official) audience. There's still a hangover from the old Pravda days.

Regardless, all Podkolzin has to do is captain his Russian team to the World Junior Hockey championship gold medal, and all will be forgiven and forgotten. Thank God his coach is Igor Larionov instead of the dinosaur coaching SKA St. Petersburg.

Got to wonder what level of head games they play with these guys. I sure hope he gets here as soon as he can. I think he will make an instant impact on our 3rd line. Maybe he will set up lind for 25 goals (pro-rated over 80 games).

Reactions: 701 and Deezone

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

You know, that Russian sports journalist could simply be an over the top wingnut out for clicks, and the one Russian fan that I quoted could be pretty well overheated too in his opposing view. Kind of like it sometimes happens here on our message board. Perhaps I err on the mellow side, advising just to tough it out until Podkolzin gets here and then we'll see. Petey was no world-beater in the WJC and look how that turned out. Yet world-beaters in the WJC have sometimes done bupkis in the show, as we know all too well with the likes of Schroeder and, so far, OJ.

As others have mentioned, the Podkolzin thread on the main board has some bizarrely fulminating posters on it whose motivation is hard to fathom. Ballistic internet shrieking at its very worst . . . but why? It's like a nutter accosting you in the street. There's no good reply except to keep calm and cross the road. This Canucks board is almost boringly sane by comparison :)

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

It not really a hangover but a still active "policy". Putin and his cronies require fealty.

Although there is some independant journalism in Russia its very tiny compartively and is under continued pressure.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Miller Pettersson Boeser
Podz Horvat Eriksson

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
disagree. We have a few Russians in the system now, and we need to treat them right. Tryamkin got shitty treatment from a poor coach, and bolted. Last thing you want is to not give Podkolzin every chance to prove himself. You don't sign him the first chance you have, he might decide to KHL again.

Once again, we might have the steal of a draft. No one really knows. We have people thinking he's not putting up the stats he needs to. Others think he is the next "Messier". Who knows. But his being here might make both Tryamkin and Podkolzin happier.

Oh man this narrative pisses me off, we need to coddle the Russian players because one came over here and was asked to prove his worth and EARN ice time, god forbid, I don't like a lot of things that Willie did here as a coach but there was nothing wrong with making a 3rd pairing dman playing his first year here, earn his ice time.

Tryamkin has a shitty attitude, he came here entitled and left talking shit about the city, I sincerley hope he doesn't come back unless his attitude changes, Pod has shown no indication that he will pull the same crap Tryamkin did.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I realize this is a thread about Podkolzin, but if the Canucks treat him the same way they treated Tryamkin, he'll back in the KHL before his entry level deal is up.

Let's face it, Willie didn't like Russians. And the Benning-Linden tandem was too timid to do anything about it. First Willie claimed he was out of shape, and wanted to banish him to AHL, which was in violation of his contract. If the Canucks were choked about this, they shouldn't have signed the contract with him in the first place.

Then the coaches decided that he wasn't as good as the likes of Bartkowski, Larsen, Gudbranson, Sbisa and Weber (as in Yannick). How humiliating is that when the doofus coach decides you're not as good as those stiffs? "Tryamkin had to earn his ice-time"? You're kidding, right?

Tryamkin went home because he was a young, homesick Russian with a new wife who had trouble adjusting to a new life in the West. And imo, the Canucks did nothing to help him overcome the culture and language barrier. So he fulfilled his two year contract to the Canucks and went back to the KHL.

Hopefully the Canucks have learned something from that Tryamkin fiasco....and won't make the same mistakes with Podkolzin.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Oh man this narrative pisses me off, we need to coddle the Russian players because one came over here and was asked to prove his worth and EARN ice time, god forbid, I don't like a lot of things that Willie did here as a coach but there was nothing wrong with making a 3rd pairing dman playing his first year here, earn his ice time.

Tryamkin has a shitty attitude, he came here entitled and left talking shit about the city, I sincerley hope he doesn't come back unless his attitude changes, Pod has shown no indication that he will pull the same crap Tryamkin did.
Well the fact that you have one like from one of the worst posters supports my position. Up yours. Tryamkin played as expected and the fan boys cried when he said there are greener pastures. We really could have used him, but probably ended up better because of draft position.

Either way, I totally disagree that we should not put an effort into making a 19 year old comfortable in Vancouver. We could be a serious contender in 1 - 2 years, and Podkolzin will likely be an important part of that. And getting Tryamkin back will be too.

In fact. I am overjoyed that Podkolzin is pissing off the KHL by looking like he want to sign here. We should do our level best to make it a good experience for him if he is just marginally acceptable. And I expect he will impressive.

Reactions: I am toxic

lawrence

May 19, 2012
it will be treating a college NCAA player like shit knowing he will not be with the team next season and lets invest the ice time on the freshmen, cmon KHL. this is not the impression you want. This is not the old Soviet Union where they literally own the player. It's insane the Buffalo Sabres at that time had to smuggle Alex Mogilny out of russia ok i'm off topic now.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well the fact that you have one like from one of the worst posters supports my position. Up yours. Tryamkin played as expected and the fan boys cried when he said there are greener pastures. We really could have used him, but probably ended up better because of draft position.

Either way, I totally disagree that we should not put an effort into making a 19 year old comfortable in Vancouver. We could be a serious contender in 1 - 2 years, and Podkolzin will likely be an important part of that. And getting Tryamkin back will be too.

In fact. I am overjoyed that Podkolzin is pissing off the KHL by looking like he want to sign here. We should do our level best to make it a good experience for him if he is just marginally acceptable. And I expect he will impressive.
Oh I’m one of the worst posters! Lol. At least I’m not a delusional fanboy that thinks every prospect is going to be a superstar! You have a shocking inability to analyze young hockey players. But yes, tryamkin is a victim. Always the victim

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Podkolzin and coach Larionov lead Russia to a gold medal in the WJHC, which is just a few weeks away now, all will be forgiven and forgotten. There's a 'bandwagon' effect in Russian hockey, just like there is everywhere else.

And I suppose if that were to happen, it'll be harder and harder for SKA St. Petersburg to justify keeping him out of the lineup. Seems to me that last season Podkolzin's game took off after returning to the KHL from the World Jr. Championships.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I realize this is a thread about Podkolzin, but if the Canucks treat him the same way they treated Tryamkin, he'll back in the KHL before his entry level deal is up.

Let's face it, Willie didn't like Russians. And the Benning-Linden tandem was too timid to do anything about it. First Willie claimed he was out of shape, and wanted to banish him to AHL, which was in violation of his contract. If the Canucks were choked about this, they shouldn't have signed the contract with him in the first place.

Then the coaches decided that he wasn't as good as the likes of Bartkowski, Larsen, Gudbranson, Sbisa and Weber (as in Yannick). How humiliating is that when the doofus coach decides you're not as good as those stiffs? "Tryamkin had to earn his ice-time"? You're kidding, right?

Tryamkin went home because he was a young, homesick Russian with a new wife who had trouble adjusting to a new life in the West. And imo, the Canucks did nothing to help him overcome the culture and language barrier. So he fulfilled his two year contract to the Canucks and went back to the KHL.

Hopefully the Canucks have learned something from that Tryamkin fiasco....and won't make the same mistakes with Podkolzin.
They should have learned from Krutov that they need to help with culture shock. Linden would have seen it first hand, disappointing he failed to see it properly addressed. If your staff can't speak to a player from such a different culture, you're effed.

As good as Vancouver has done with Swedes and to a lesser extent Finns, they suck at how they have done with Russians.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Its obviously a different culture coming over from Russia..but I think its a bit presumptuous to say that the Canucks did nothing to help him overcome the culture and language barrier...Thats not going to stop a young couple getting homesick..and from what I can see , Tryamkin didnt make the slightest effort to learn English.

I don't see a problem with Podkolzin...(in fact, he was making a great effort to speak english at the draft)..His personality is closer to Goldoblin, than Nikita (who is an introvert).

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Who supports my reply to you means nothing to me bud, but you hang on to that......

We should do everything we can to help the transition over, for any player that comes from another country, never said we shouldn't.

Tryamkin proved to be nothing more than a bottom pairing Dman, people (like you I'm guessing) fawned over him like he was the next Chara, (he isn't and won't ever be).

He was treated like a player who needed to earn his ice time and then acted like an entititled child when it wasn't handed over on a silver platter. Then as he was leaving talked a bunch of shit about the city, which is completely classless. We don't need players like that here.

Tryamkin is and always will be a bottom pairing defensive dman, he has no where near the importance to this team as Pod and never will.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Its obviously a different culture coming over from Russia..but I think its a bit presumptuous to say that the Canucks did nothing to help him overcome the culture and language barrier...Thats not going to stop a young couple getting homesick..and from what I can see , Tryamkin didnt make the slightest effort to learn English.

I don't see a problem with Podkolzin...(in fact, he was making a great effort to speak english at the draft)..His personality is closer to Goldoblin, than Nikita (who is an introvert).

Thank you, I'm so sick of this fanbase acting like Tryamkin is some victim.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad