Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
The two players who came into the lineup yesterday in Podkolzin's place, one is the leading goal scorer of the team (scored 2 yesterday) and the other is a 24 year old NHL player. It was an ugly game, I watched it all last night (lots of Canucks Flavour though: Granlund, Larsen vs Vey).

It would be rare for a 19 year old, non superstar, not to be limited when bringing in these two.

SKA has used 32 forwards this season. Vasili Podkolzin has played in more games than all but 4 of them. People need to chill. I'd rather him against better competition and to challenge him to work to actually maintain a spot in the lineup. The VHL is bad. Russian junior is bad.
Russia does alright in wjc action and is one of the worlds powerhouses at the tourney so how can the mHL be bad when they have such level of players and the vhl is a step up from that so even if the mhl is slightly lower then the chl then the vhl with adult men must be better then the chl.
The vhl is better then the chl and is not terrible so please enough of that stupid narrative please.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the argument that podkholzin is not getting scratched more than other players largely holds water. ska carries a huge roster and also gives young vhl players starts. however, they are not giving him vhl starts to make up for the scratches as they did last year.

the argument he is seeing good ice time based on his average minutes does not hold water. a handful of games where he played big minutes due to covid distorts that stat.

the debate over whether scratching a player 20% of the time constitutes good development remains debatable, but i think it is fair to say they are not treating pod worse than other prospects as far as scratches go.

last year pod got into 48 khl/vhl/mhl games with many possible starts missed due to international play. this year he looks to be on track for more khl starts but less overall starts once you factor in the wjc break.

i'd say the claims canucks fans are overreacting has some truth, in terms of his being singled out, but questioning whether this erratic course is the best way to develop a player remains valid.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
the argument that podkholzin is not getting scratched more than other players largely holds water. ska carries a huge roster and also gives young vhl players starts. however, they are not giving him vhl starts to make up for the scratches as they did last year.

the argument he is seeing good ice time based on his average minutes does not hold water. a handful of games where he played big minutes due to covid distorts that stat.

the debate over whether scratching a player 20% of the time constitutes good development remains debatable, but i think it is fair to say they are not treating pod worse than other prospects as far as scratches go.

last year pod got into 48 khl/vhl/mhl games with many possible starts missed due to international play. this year he looks to be on track for more khl starts but less overall starts once you factor in the wjc break.

i'd say the claims canucks fans are overreacting has some truth, in terms of his being singled out, but questioning whether this erratic course is the best way to develop a player remains valid.

I just want to hold some water.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
4 more KHL games until the U20 camp starts on the 28th, 3 VHL games.

The KHL matchups look pretty favourable to Podkolzin drawing in as only tomorrows game is against a top half team in the KHL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Strong final 2 periods for Podkolzin today (basically only played 2 periods), had 3 missed shots by my count, and has driving play well. Finished with 11:20TOI, but the breakdown is interesting - 1 shift (23s) in the 1st, 5 shifts (5:25) in the 2nd, and 7 shifts (5:32) in the 3rd.

Yeah, he was one of the team's best forwards and seems to have forced Bragin's hand to increase his ice time. The one thing I noticed though was his slight fear to take risks at times in the O-zone. Think he's playing with a bit of a shackle right now and is worried about getting benched.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Who was the C on that line today?

KHL site shows two first period shifts.

Nice to see his play rewarded. And this was against a quality team.

Quality 4th line minutes again in a top league against top competition. Onward and upward. 3 left until WJC camp and the teams SKA plays are weaker. Hopefully he’ll get a goal or two.

Reactions: Deezone

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Strong final 2 periods for Podkolzin today (basically only played 2 periods), had 3 missed shots by my count, and has driving play well. Finished with 11:20TOI, but the breakdown is interesting - 1 shift (23s) in the 1st, 5 shifts (5:25) in the 2nd, and 7 shifts (5:32) in the 3rd.

Bragin definitely relied on him in the 2nd half of the game and also when SKA went down 1-0.

Lots to complain about Podkolzin's development and useage but this game isnt one of them.

Reactions: Deezone

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It might be just random observation, but Podkolzin seems to be one those guys who comes on like gangbusters when the season hits crunch time. Happened last year after he returned to the KHL from the WJHC, and I suspect it will happen again this year.

Seems to be developing into the kind of player who takes his game to another level when the stakes are the highest. At least that's what everybody hopes for.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
On the top line this morning. Not with Vey though he’s out. His line has the goal in a 1-1 tie. Thru 2.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If SKA know he's going to leave at the end of the season anyway, is there really an incentive for them to keep playing mind games with him? I get that politics can be a thing sometimes in Russia but it's pretty clear he wants to make the jump to the NHL... so why wouldn't they just utilize him however they saw fit under normal circumstances? To me it seems his ice time is merely a reflection of the fact that he isn't one of their best top 9 players just yet.

If you were going to play mind games to try and get someone to stay, shouldn't you be enticing them with more ice time instead of less?

this is what some of us have been saying in that joke of a thread on the main forum, that if he's not going to play then send him down to their farm team so he can get some playing time. But nope, apparently this is the best way they do shit in Russia so who are we to say anything since we don't follow the KHL.

This isn’t youth hockey where corruption still exists to some degree. SKA’s main objective is to win. They're under heavy pressure to do so. If a player can help win games he’ll be played regardless of contract status.

Podkolzin’s current usage is a reflection of his playing style. He’s an amazingly versatile player who can be inserted anywhere when need be. That said, he’s a young kid who has yet to earn extended minutes or PP time, but he’s valuable enough to keep around. This is why he's not being sent to the VHL. Yes it’s sort of a tough situation to be in, but he has to push the issue and earn his time. He did so last year the 2nd half of the season.

Bragin isn’t the greatest tactical coach, but he’s a straight shooter. He cleaned up the U20 program after a few years of garbage coaches (Nemchinov, Plyushev) who had questionable roster selections. He did so with hard work, responsibility and accountability.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The good news is the WJC is important to Russia, so Pods will be well utilized methinks.He will be one of the oldest and strongest players out there this time around. Expect a decent showing from him.

Reactions: Luckylarry

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
He should dominate at the WJC. Not that its live or die, but there is no reason he shouldn't produce as a top 10 pick in his 3rd WJC with the opportunity he will get.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When Podkolzin declined to re-up for another season with SKA St. Petersburg, his fate was sealed in terms of ice-time. That's just the way it is for young players in the KHL who are destined for NA sooner rather than later.

As long as he has a strong WJHC in Alberta, I could care less what he does in the KHL. Once we hit Jan. 1st he only has a little over three months of being jerked around with his club team anyway. And I'm sure he'll learn from the experience and move on.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not good for his his development. Young kids need lots of ice and in all different situations to develop.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
f*** it, who cares.
In 3 months he won't play another KHL game, and Develop properly here.
At least he is somewhat playing for now, Ill take it.
The KHL can seriously screw off

Nov 1, 2011
jot a science but it’s clear to see that kids need to play to develop. Can’t argue that.

Well, I think that's exactly what's being mentioned.

CHL kids play way more games than College kids. Is there a huge differential in results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->