Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Andrew Copp a good comparison? Heavy North to South game. Tenacious with a nice offensive upside?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know about agenda, but I think in general when a guy's biggest criticism is hockey sense, you don't spend a top 10 pick on him no matter how impressive the physical tools are.

FWIW I'm not a huge Soderstrom fan either, I could've lived with that pick, but at the time I would have gone Newhook or Caufield.

I thought they were actually going to draft Newhook at #10, no trade down. It’s what I expected Brackett to do.

Generally, I agree that you don’t draft questionable IQ in the top10. Specifically though, the reads on Pod’s IQ were mixed: Great away from the puck, erratic with it. That’s what made it difficult on that front.

I think it would have been a much easier choice had he produced a lot despite the IQ questions. That would have assuaged fears a bit. But then maybe he doesn’t make it to #10?

Whatever the case, I could see the rationale behind the pick, and as a fan, that’s really all you can hope for. The pick made sense, unlike in other drafts.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Andrew Copp a good comparison? Heavy North to South game. Tenacious with a nice offensive upside?
Ha ha ha. Nice try. Cop in three NHL seasons has proven to be a 10 goal 25 point guy.
Pods will be at minimum a 30-30 guy, while bringing heavy 200 foot hockey ever shift. He will PK too.
Not even close to similar production.
Pods will be more like Matt Tkatchuk.
Pods will be a finalist for the Calder.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I thought they were actually going to draft Newhook at #10, no trade down. It’s what I expected Brackett to do.

Generally, I agree that you don’t draft questionable IQ in the top10. Specifically though, the reads on Pod’s IQ were mixed: Great away from the puck, erratic with it. That’s what made it difficult on that front.

I think it would have been a much easier choice had he produced a lot despite the IQ questions. That would have assuaged fears a bit. But then maybe he doesn’t make it to #10?

Whatever the case, I could see the rationale behind the pick, and as a fan, that’s really all you can hope for. The pick made sense, unlike in other drafts.

this times a million. I wanted Newhook at 10, but unlike other drafts wont be saying well the world was saying pick Tkachuk.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
If I understand correctly, the original post that brought up hockey IQ was actually about Broberg, not about Podz, but somebody took it to mean Podz so the conversation swung towards his hockey IQ, which I think is pretty good - seeing some of the fancy dishes on his highlight reel.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If I understand correctly, the original post that brought up hockey IQ was actually about Broberg, not about Podz, but somebody took it to mean Podz so the conversation swung towards his hockey IQ, which I think is pretty good - seeing some of the fancy dishes on his highlight reel.

Would say question pre draft was offensive acumen.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Would say question pre draft was offensive acumen.

There were certainly questions about Pods' hockey IQ pre-draft, specifically he had a tendency to try doing everything himself. He's not nicknamed Raging Bull for no reason.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Played 12 minutes today in the first game for the KHL compared to the 30 seconds of ice time he got beginning of last year... that's what some good shit right there

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Podz is the ideal winger to have scratching at the door, an endless engine, hard on the forecheck, puck hound with offence

cant wait

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
At worst hes a Kasperi Kappanen
Good skating winger who can play on the 3rd line and has enough offense to play in your top 6. 15-20 goals 45-50 pts

At best hes a Chris Kreider, big bodied winger who can fly, be physical and score in a top 6 role consistently. 25goals 50ish pts

Hes probably somewhere in between.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Having a Podkolzin and Tryamkin with growth plugged into our lineup will be amazing

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Listed at 192cm (~6'3), and 92kg (~203lbs) on the KHL website. Was listed at 6'1 + 190lbs, so if true that's some serious growth in the last year and a half.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
At worst hes a Kasperi Kappanen
Good skating winger who can play on the 3rd line and has enough offense to play in your top 6. 15-20 goals 45-50 pts

At best hes a Chris Kreider, big bodied winger who can fly, be physical and score in a top 6 role consistently. 25goals 50ish pts

Hes probably somewhere in between.

That's a pretty narrow window. Floor: Nichuskin pre-Avs revival. Ceiling: Doug Gilmour.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Listed at 192cm (~6'3), and 92kg (~203lbs) on the KHL website. Was listed at 6'1 + 190lbs, so if true that's some serious growth in the last year and a half.
He was 18 and just turned 19 a couple months ago. He could certainly have developed physically. There are reasons why Igor Larionov compares Podkolzin to a young Mark Messier. Big, fast, skilled, smart, incredible compete, and mean.
He’s going to be a beast fir us, and be a Calder finalist.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With the NHL season turned upside down, what's the earliest Podkolzin could be available to the Canucks? April 30th 2021? Could he be available for another Canuck playoff run?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Isnt 192 cm 6'3 & 1/2 inches?? that doesnt make sense
He was a quarter inch shy of 6'1 at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad