Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With the NHL season turned upside down, what's the earliest Podkolzin could be available to the Canucks? April 30th 2021? Could he be available for another Canuck playoff run?

I heard a similar date (May 1, 2021) on the radio last week, so that’s likely right in the middle of next season. He will step right in and be a top six right winger too. I think Benning knows this, and that’s another reason why he won’t offer a contract to Tofu. Pods at league minimum for three years or Tofu for 5 mil? Easy choice. Pods will be the better player too.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I heard a similar date (May 1, 2021) on the radio last week, so that’s likely right in the middle of next season. He will step right in and be a top six right winger too. I think Benning knows this, and that’s another reason why he won’t offer a contract to Tofu. Pods at league minimum for three years or Tofu for 5 mil? Easy choice. Pods will be the better player too.
way back, I did hear someone (maybe Benning) say at the world juniors that he was NHL ready. i was shocked lol
So if they thought that back then, then they r probably REALLY sure he's good to go now

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
way back, I did hear someone (maybe Benning) say at the world juniors that he was NHL ready. i was shocked lol
So if they thought that back then, then they r probably REALLY sure he's good to go now
Just watching the snippets we get if his recent play in the KHL, and it’s exciting to see how fast, skilled, smart, and aggressive he is fir such a young guy. If he’s grown to 6’3” and well over 200 pounds, that’s like icing on an already fabulous cake. Looks like we have the steal of the draft three years in a row. Pods is a nice going away gift from Bracket.

Reactions: mriswith

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Listed at 192cm (~6'3), and 92kg (~203lbs) on the KHL website. Was listed at 6'1 + 190lbs, so if true that's some serious growth in the last year and a half.
1l2knqwtvrl51.png

pk96fpwtvrl51.png

185 cm = 72.8 inches

192 cm = 75.6 inches

It seems he's grown almost three inches since 2018. Closer to 6'4'' than 6'3'' now.

Reactions: geebaan

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
He could be the size of Rantanen if those measurements are accurate. With his skillset and ability to skate and drive the net like he can what a behemoth he could be for us. Playmaking being one of his main strengths. He looks to be an analytic darling as well.

Pettersson-Podkolzin could be deadly.

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
1l2knqwtvrl51.png

pk96fpwtvrl51.png

185 cm = 72.8 inches

192 cm = 75.6 inches

It seems he's grown almost three inches since 2018. Closer to 6'4'' than 6'3'' now.

This is intriguing, we need confirmation. I doubt that he is 6'3.5" that seems like a lot, but if he were closer to 6'3 than 6'2 that would be pretty incredible still

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Here's a look at Vasily Podkolzin's entire performance in SKA's season opener (vs Neftekhimik, Sep. 4, 2020). Look for #92 in white.

A few things from this clip:
1) what's with the glowing red shoulder patches?!? Can't decide if they're cool or distracting as all get out.
2) his skating looks better. Acceleration is smoother. Cleaner stride.
3) Biggest difference: this is a player that can now play within a system! He's using his linemates and much less individualistic.

Beginning to think he might be able to slide into the top 6 right off the hop.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
His official combine height in 2019 was under 6'1. I wouldn't put much trust in KHL numbers.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
1l2knqwtvrl51.png

pk96fpwtvrl51.png

185 cm = 72.8 inches

192 cm = 75.6 inches

based on the youtube highlights we've seen so far, he's nowhere near 6'3. That would be Edler size. Which is fine if he's not 6'3 it's not like we are talking about a 5'10 player hoping he will touch 6'0, he really looks like a player around 6 feet tall, or 6'1.

Can't wait for him to come here. we need a puck hounder badly.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Pods is going to be in the top three for the Calder in his rookie season. He’s an amazing player, who is driven to be better. Thank you Judd Bracket.
Hope he is more of a Kovalev-Bure hybrid with toughness, than Yakipov- clone, thats for sure!
He's also arguably a better player (or at least one with more of the boxes GM's check) who was a 6th overall pick. At this point I think it's very feasible getting a first round pick for him.

Personally I would like to keep him but there are tough decisions to be made and JV most likely he's going to be a casualty of them. He's exactly the type of player that is primed to blossom under a change of scenery and I could see both teams involved in the trade being more than happy down the road.
Yah, don't let Vegas get him, or he'll become the next Mark Stone! (J Vtn, that is)
If you can't resign him, trade him to Wpg for Adam Lowry! They apparently won't be able to re-up him end o this season, cap casualty, unless he takes a lower paid contract next time! Not likely.
In Lowry you still gets In toughness and probably gain a little more? Plus, Lowry could alleviate Sutter in so many shut-down role shifts and D-zone f/o's and Pk'ing. His Dad was a strong influence here st one time. Wasn't he? Dave Lowry?

Last edited:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Skating looks good as every highlight is rushing end to end. One year from now he will be getting ready for first nhl camp, seems like he will be ready
Looks a little too easy for him outskatinb competition,very resistance from opponents, in many of these highlight reels. Hope he isn't shell-shocked to the intensity, speed and level of compete in the Nhl.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd love to see Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone and Juolevi all make the Canucks next season and become everyday players. But they're probably blocked by some of those awful UFA signings who still have term on their contracts.

But they should throw the training camp competition wide open, and if some of the vets can't cut it, send 'em to Utica.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Looks a lot like Alexander Radulov. Watching these playoffs and that’s probably who his game reminds me of the most.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He could be the size of Rantanen if those measurements are accurate. With his skillset and ability to skate and drive the net like he can what a behemoth he could be for us. Playmaking being one of his main strengths. He looks to be an analytic darling as well.

Pettersson-Podkolzin could be deadly.
Just have Pettersson draft behind him as he makes a B-line for the net.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

brian Burke said he’s nhl ready when we drafted him.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Based on that most recent game of his posted, i'd say he looks 6'2.
He does not look Edler height for sure though. He's definitely taller now than at the last world jrs. He kind of has that hunched over style of skating..makes it a bit hard to tell.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Looks a lot like Alexander Radulov. Watching these playoffs and that’s probably who his game reminds me of the most.

if he can be anything close to Radulov that'd be amazing(except lets hope he spends most of his prime in the NHL and not in the KHL like Radulov did)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad