Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

Tony Gallagher was on 1040 this past week to tell everyone that Linden was probably leaking the story of him being railroaded and that he did not believe for one bit there was anything to it. Went on to say that if it were true - which he says it is not - it would be justice given the way he railroaded Bob Goodenow out of the players union.

I have my issues with Linden as a President and stuff, but Gallagher really comes off as a petty bitter old man a lot of the time. He carries these grudges and never lets them go. I can still remember him as a guest on 1040 a few days after Pat Quinn died, asking the hosts to stop "waxing on" about how great a man Pat Quinn was.

Can't stand the guy.

Reactions: Nerve

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Tony Gallagher was on 1040 this past week to tell everyone that Linden was probably leaking the story of him being railroaded and that he did not believe for one bit there was anything to it. Went on to say that if it were true - which he says it is not - it would be justice given the way he railroaded Bob Goodenow out of the players union.

I have my issues with Linden as a President and stuff, but Gallagher really comes off as a petty bitter old man a lot of the time. He carries these grudges and never lets them go. I can still remember him as a guest on 1040 a few days after Pat Quinn died, asking the hosts to stop "waxing on" about how great a man Pat Quinn was.

Can't stand the guy.

There's probably some truth to Linden leaking this through his network but this is all Tony's opinion. Gallagher has always been pro player and his sources were mostly agents. Linden has clearly been at total odds with these guys and a lot of players since that mess with the lockout. Gallagher calling it justice is taking things too far though. The comments about Quinn are also disturbing and in poor taste.

As for Benning I find it very hard to believe that he is smart enough to manipulate the owner and he doesnt seem like someone who would knife anyone in the back. Weisbrod would though. That is patently obvious from how he treated people in the NBA.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
FYI

The way to embed tweets is as follows:

Click on the media button:

nUdnw6m.png

Type in the URL of the tweet

frraJLG.png

Click embed.
You should be able to just link the tweet and it will auto-embed itself. Does that not work for you?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
More importantly, Tony Gallagher was absolutely pro Mike Gillis regime. He was basically the Iain MacIntyre of that era, though he was always a bit more clever about it. Gallagher has harboured a grudge against ownership and the Linden regime since Gillis was fired.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Tony was woke before it was cool to be woke.

I dunno how he can look like a goblin for all these years and still survive.

I’ll neber forget when someone (I forget who) introduced him as “coming up next, the lady killer Tony Gallagher”. I actually laughed out loud. He has a face for radio, and he was on the radio.... so it’s a win win.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
1040 is the worse option in my opinion. Yes 650 is very pro Canucks and it can be a bit much, but 1040 is the equivalent of sitting at a backyard bbq with a bunch of baby boomers, smokin stogies, and trading dumb stories.

"Remember Rick Lanz? Heck of a guy"
"Were you a Ginger or Mary-Ann guy?"

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1040 is the worse option in my opinion. Yes 650 is very pro Canucks and it can be a bit much, but 1040 is the equivalent of sitting at a backyard bbq with a bunch of baby boomers, smokin stogies, and trading dumb stories.

"Remember Rick Lanz? Heck of a guy"
"Were you a Ginger or Mary-Ann guy?"

Sounds like you're listening to exclusively Donnie and Moj.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018

Can't stand the guy.
I believe him tbh. There is nothing to indicate what has been implied by Simmons. Even listening to Russell this week, it seems the majority of the old timers have not adjusted to the new NHL, new business practices and the way things are being done now.

I mean Russell had the audacity to say the 2011 Canucks were a mirage... that the 1994 team was legit vs that team. I just don't even know where to start with such an asinine opinion. So dumb

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
More importantly, Tony Gallagher was absolutely pro Mike Gillis regime. He was basically the Iain MacIntyre of that era, though he was always a bit more clever about it. Gallagher has harboured a grudge against ownership and the Linden regime since Gillis was fired.
How can you hold a grudge to a regime that had 2 Presidents trophies, 1 hart, 1 Lindsay, 2 Art Ross, Selke winners, franchise goalie, 2 franchise forwards, franchise defensive player, one of the deepest most balanced D's in the league... like how does 94 even compare? How can one make the statement that the 2009-2012 teams were not as good as they showed? How can you ignore the injuries they sustained in that run to say "See I told you so"

Tony G was bang on in his assessments of that team. If not for a dynasty in the Hawks, Vancouver could've, and should've won a couple cups. Chicago was just such a strong team. A better team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ed Willes had a point in a column I read this week. Linden joins Gillis, Nonis, Henning, and Gilman on the pile of ex-employees who left feeling bitter and betrayed. That's not how a successful team conducts business.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Ed Willes had a point in a column I read this week. Linden joins Gillis, Nonis, Henning, and Gilman on the pile of ex-employees who left feeling bitter and betrayed. That's not how a successful team conducts business.

Those 5 were relieved of their duties. Most people in that position would feel bitter and betrayed. In this case, they were still paid until the expiration of their contracts. For example, Gilman did not have to apply for EI for another 24 months.

If Henning felt that he got screwed, then would his son, Brett, not have quit the team in protest? I believe that most employees with sports organizations understand that new management brings in their own people, unless the incumbent is valuable.

Please name a successful team and I will try to compile a list of bitter ex-employees.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Those 5 were relieved of their duties. Most people in that position would feel bitter and betrayed. In this case, they were still paid until the expiration of their contracts. For example, Gilman did not have to apply for EI for another 24 months.

If Henning felt that he got screwed, then would his son, Brett, not have quit the team in protest? I believe that most employees with sports organizations understand that new management brings in their own people, unless the incumbent is valuable.

Please name a successful team and I will try to compile a list of bitter ex-employees.

I'm not saying actually well-run teams don't have people leave in less than ideal circumstances, but this is getting to be a clear trend where upper management has an unpleasant breakup from the owners. This isn't to do with their contracts. Of course their contracts were paid out. That's not up to the Aquamen unless they feel like being sued. Yeah, I'm so sure Gilman went on EI. :rolleyes: Sure, new GMs bring in their people. But there are ways of doing business respectfully that don't end up with the person leaving having bad feelings and bitterness towards you. It really doesn't speak well how this keeps coming up with the Aquamen.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yep, Tony was Gillis' reliable local media guy. That likely went back to Gillis' days as an agent. Gillis was kind of militant in his agent days and that was in line with Tony's way of thinking; Tony was always very much in the player's corner,. Still is really.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver

Do you have a link or the date of that column? I checked The Province and cannot locate it. What do you suggest that Aquilini should have done, to reduce hurt feelings from discharged employees?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Do you have a link or the date of that column? I checked The Province and cannot locate it. What do you suggest that Aquilini should have done, to reduce hurt feelings from discharged employees?
I haven't read the column but Willes did go over the gist of it with Donnie and Moj on 1040 radio this week. Someone posted the link around here somewhere. You'll find it archived on their website.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'm not saying actually well-run teams don't have people leave in less than ideal circumstances, but this is getting to be a clear trend where upper management has an unpleasant breakup from the owners. This isn't to do with their contracts. Of course their contracts were paid out. That's not up to the Aquamen unless they feel like being sued. Yeah, I'm so sure Gilman went on EI. :rolleyes: Sure, new GMs bring in their people. But there are ways of doing business respectfully that don't end up with the person leaving having bad feelings and bitterness towards you. It really doesn't speak well how this keeps coming up with the Aquamen.

This is a tough one as I think circumstances were different. My personal opinion is that the Aquilinis have always persisted in wanting to be field a "competitive" team. It's okay to retool, but rebuilding in the sense that the plan is really not to make the playoffs is not something they believe in. The boss wants what he/she wants. If you're not willing to do what he/she wants, most of the time, there aren't that many options left.

With Gillis, there was probably an erosion of his once promised autonomy. There were reports that he had to fight for his last extension and that Torts wasn't really his hire. At the very least, he had ample warnings and I don't think he can fairly say he was blindsided or betrayed. Whether he feels bitter about the whole thing is his issue. He has the right to be bitter if he was promised autonomy and made moves that were influenced by ownership. But at the end of the day, this was hardly a situation where Gillis came to the office one day and received his walking papers without warning.

Nonis might have believed he deserved more time, but life isn't always fair. To be fair to ownership, Nonis wasn't exactly their guy. Letting Burke go but promoting Nonis was the equivalent of not wanting to rock the boat too much but at the same time wanted to make a change. He then proceeded to oversee a team that missed the playoffs 2 out of his 3 years. If the whole trade for Richards ordeal is to be believed (and why not?), Nonis had it coming. I don't see how Nonis should feel betrayed. Unlike Gillis, he had no record of success. He had no past history of success. My guess is that he was pretty clear on what ownership expectations were.

I have no idea why Henning and Gilman should feel betrayed or bitter. They were past ownership's AGMs. They shouldn't be in this business if they don't understand why they were let go. Ownership shouldn't even get involved.

I think the Linden part is a different story because Benning was just extended and wasn't extended right away. He was the President of Hockey Operations afterall and his vision should take precedence over Benning's. If ownership had promised Linden autonomy and suddenly wanted Linden to become a figurehead and PR guy after Benning's extension then ya I would be very upset if I was Linden. But at the same time, I wonder if Benning was extended because his vision matched that of ownership. To me, I find it hard to conciliate the idea that Linden had to fight for Benning's extension but Benning reported to ownership directly upon signing said extension. Seems kind of weird.

I think it's clear that Canucks' ownership aren't the stand back and let management manage the team. They want their input and let's face it, what percentage of us here would let the guy we hire 100% autonomy without pushing our views if we own the team? Most of these rich owners want to win. The question is when the losing begins, will they stand back? Take the Pegulas in Buffalo. They felt the mistake was not being more involved.

Anyways, I do believe that the Aquilinis aren't the most generous people. No GM or President should take the job thinking they have a certain number of years to deliver results without ownership fighting you along the way.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver

Ed Willes: Where Canucks rebuild goes is anybody’s guess

"Linden was hired to help repair the Canucks’ brand. He believed he was promised autonomy in rebuilding the organization and he was until he wasn’t. Now he joins Gillis, Nonis and others in the Canucks’ ex-wives club."

Is this the column from Aug-14? Above is the only reference I read that pertains to ex-employees. There is no reference to feelings of bitterness and betrayal, but is that what you deduced from the column?

Reactions: Luckylarry

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ed Willes: Where Canucks rebuild goes is anybody’s guess

"Linden was hired to help repair the Canucks’ brand. He believed he was promised autonomy in rebuilding the organization and he was until he wasn’t. Now he joins Gillis, Nonis and others in the Canucks’ ex-wives club."

Is this the column from Aug-14? Above is the only reference I read that pertains to ex-employees. There is no reference to feelings of bitterness and betrayal, but is that what you deduced from the column?
It was in the Monday musings this last week. First item.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
It was in the Monday musings this last week. First item.

Thank you. I found it and read it...and I stand corrected. My apologies for thinking this was your opinion, when it was Willes' opinion. I get why ex-employees would feel bitter over losing their job but I feel only insecure people would feel betrayed. I have lost my job before, I was bitter temporarily because it is a blow to the ego, but I moved on. This is business, not a divorce nor a girlfriend dumping.

Reactions: F A N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad