Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

I agree The Champ has never been funny.
Bro Jake is certainly not an idiot though. The guy is one of the most successful personalities in Canadian radio over the last 3-4 decades. He wasn't the right fit for sports-centric radio, but he still did a stand up job.

He's an idiot when it comes to sports. I could care less if he is a "good guy." My Mom is a good person and I don't want to listen to her try to talk sports.

With Bro gone, I am really hoping they will retire Pratt.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
He's an idiot when it comes to sports. I could care less if he is a "good guy." My Mom is a good person and I don't want to listen to her try to talk sports.

With Bro gone, I am really hoping they will retire Pratt.
Agreed on Pratt. I have always hated listening to him. Taylor's genius was ruined on him for years.

Team someone younger up with the Moj for a time slot and then give Taylor and Ryan Henderson their own show together.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Taylor is a dinosaur somewhere between Moj and Pratt. All three of them need to get 86'd ASAP.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
IMHO the first few Champ bits decades ago... "trimming the wife's bush", "a small prick in your mouth", "... fingered Mrs. Champ" & my favorite "Here comes the champ 'cumming' in his new golf pants". Of course there are more. In the early days, I always enjoyed those, but then again I was 16-18, so it was prob funnier then.

He did admit this morning he was out of his league though. He is a casual fan that just likes to go enjoy the games, not watch to analyze, and have to see things happening in the game.

Reactions: Luckylarry and m9

damack

Jan 3, 2014
IMHO the first few Champ bits decades ago... "trimming the wife's bush", "a small prick in your mouth", "... fingered Mrs. Champ" & my favorite "Here comes the champ 'cumming' in his new golf pants". Of course there are more. In the early days, I always enjoyed those, but then again I was 16-18, so it was prob funnier then.

He did admit this morning he was out of his league though. He is a casual fan that just likes to go enjoy the games, not watch to analyze, and have to see things happening in the game.

Ya, I agree. The early days of "The Champ" were pretty funny but we're going back 20 years or so. Jake got real tired in the end days of Rock 101 and made 1040 un-listenable for me. I met him once on a Rock 101 sponsored motorcycle ride. He showed up late, drunk, high and stumbled around talking about himself. Remember Ollie the Joke Guy? He carried the show.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Well, this might be a great way to start off the new thread.

TSN 1040’s Bro Jake to make ‘big announcement’

And before we go crazy, let's not forget before being miscast at 1040 he was an extremely successful and popular broadcaster.
This is fantastic news. :thumbu:

This morning I heard Edwards say he's quitting the morning show and came in here to let everyone know. You beat me to it.

Ideally, I'd like to see Pratt and Botchford team up for the morning show but I doubt that will happen.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
His farewell tour has been filled with over the top Champ talk, and zany Mike Renoesque crazy stories from the 80's (several of which can be easily debunked in minutes), and get ready, unwarranted laughter.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hey Jake is leaving because he has to care for his aging father. I hope everything goes well. Nothing anyone said about his ability as a sports jockey/analyst is untrue. Hoever he is all class for making such a huge change for his father. All the best Brother Jake!
Jake has been doing radio since the 70’s. That’s 40 years. So he is what in his 60’s? Means his dad should be around mid 80’s.

Best wishes to him.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Bro Jake down, Pratt, Moj, Taylor, and Sekeres still to go.

Wish Jake wasn't leaving because of the family circumstances, and instead was just unceremoniously fired.

Add whiny Price to your list and then it's complete.
There's blo jake apologists on this board - "ya but he's lasted in radio for 40 years, yadda yadda" but he was still a complete bust doing sports on 1040 for 3 years and drove away a ton of listeners. I for one will tune in starting next week. Good riddance!

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Add whiny Price to your list and then it's complete.
There's blo jake apologists on this board - "ya but he's lasted in radio for 40 years, yadda yadda" but he was still a complete bust doing sports on 1040 for 3 years and drove away a ton of listeners. I for one will tune in starting next week. Good riddance!
According to botch that's just not true. He said they killed it in the ratings....

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Mostly because SN 650 completely shit the bed on their morning show, just an absolute pathetic failure to seize any market share when it was lying their half dead for the taking.
Nobody likes bro and especially pratt, and 650 managed to come into the market with a worse show. So listeners had to go back to 1040 for lack of any other option.

As an aside, Mira lawrence is bad. I am sorry im sure she's a nice person, but she was awful onnthe morning show and the 3 or 4 times I've tried to listen to her evening show I had to turn it off.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
According to botch that's just not true. He said they killed it in the ratings....

I wasn't talking about ratings. It's possible to drive away a ton of old school listeners, yet attract some new ones that liked his schtick. My statement still holds true.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I wasn't talking about ratings. It's possible to drive away a ton of old school listeners, yet attract some new ones that liked his schtick. My statement still holds true.
It holds true but the way you phrased it read like the number of listeners dropped.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mostly because SN 650 completely **** the bed on their morning show, just an absolute pathetic failure to seize any market share when it was lying their half dead for the taking.
Nobody likes bro and especially pratt, and 650 managed to come into the market with a worse show. So listeners had to go back to 1040 for lack of any other option.

As an aside, Mira lawrence is bad. I am sorry im sure she's a nice person, but she was awful onnthe morning show and the 3 or 4 times I've tried to listen to her evening show I had to turn it off.
Listened to SN650 this morning. Man, rick D has no feel for radio. There were multiple 10 second pauses between him saying anything.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There are plenty of people who tune in to the same radio or TV station every morning and watch the same news anchors for years. People like familiarity and 1040 has those TSN analysts. I think this is one reason why 650 hasn't been able win the ratings war. They have these new blood who people are not familiar with spewing their opinion on things and not always playing to the Canucks fan base.

Feb 24, 2017
Halford and Brough are fine where they are. It’s not like we need their “Boy are we a couple of schmucks! Who gave us this job anyway?” act even earlier in the day.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
John Abbott is probably a nice guy, but someone please find him a role where he poses no threat to bore the general public to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad