Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Listening to the media today, to gauge the reactions from the radio ends of things. Sportsnet's side is just slurping the signings up. Is there a internal memo in the station to not be overly negative on the Canucks?

I'd be shocked if there weren't.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Listening to the media today, to gauge the reactions from the radio ends of things. Sportsnet's side is just slurping the signings up. Is there a internal memo in the station to not be overly negative on the Canucks?
Of course there is. And it's not a memo, it's in bright, bold letters on the wall.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Just same as the pre-last-season TSN 1040 :sarcasm:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Looks like Irfan Gaffar has been relocated to the Calgary Flames beat judging by the the SN free agency coverage today. Irf was their man in Calgary today, occupying the familiar Roger Millions spot. This of course means the end of the high potency 'Irf and Murph' duo on the Canucks beat.

RIP Irf and Murph

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can one reporter have the stones to ask Benning an accountable question today?

I dont't think the media knows how to ask a tough question in a manner that gets the interviewee to answer the question.

Asking a "hard" question in which the interviewee talks around the question isn't doing the job. All you have done is ask a question which didn't produce an answer.

it's phrasing in a way that they give you enough of an answer to what you are trying to find out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I dont't think the media knows how to ask a tough question in a manner that gets the interviewee to answer the question.

Asking a "hard" question in which the interviewee talks around the question isn't doing the job. All you have done is ask a question which didn't produce an answer.

it's phrasing in a way that they give you enough of an answer to what you are trying to find out.

It's the follow-up question that's the key. A good journalist asks a tough question and if it gets talked around with BS calls them on it and is on the ball enough to react to the answer and ask a second tough question.

Here, the media tentatively asks a kinda hard question, and then just completely leaves the subject no matter how pathetic the answer is.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Anybody find it annoying/ironic that Taylor & Moj take so much time off during the summer when sports radio shows kinda need the banter that their show is known for to kill time (especially in a hockey dominated market like ours), however when it's hockey season & you want to be informed over hearing inside jokes/silly pole questions they never miss a day.

Just another frustrating layer of Donny/Moj

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
There are hard hitting questions that get asked quite a bit. An example is when Pratt asks how important is it to get a win in the next game. Often the answer to the question does not beat around the bush and straight out goes tho the heart of the matter ("Oh really important.") I am wondering if there have been some past answers to that question in the vein of,..no, not really important"...?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I don't think many hard questions need to be asked of this management group. They are pretty transparent. They are frankly trying to be in playoff contention every year. The 2017 opening roster is their model. Barring injury, they will ice a veteran team with few rookie appearances. Green will ride Markstrom. Edler and Tanev will play thirty minutes. Sutter will center Eriksson on the second line. It's easy to project because Canucks do not display much imagination. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a story there, either.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I don't think many hard questions need to be asked of this management group. They are pretty transparent. They are frankly trying to be in playoff contention every year. The 2017 opening roster is their model. Barring injury, they will ice a veteran team with few rookie appearances. Green will ride Markstrom. Edler and Tanev will play thirty minutes. Sutter will center Eriksson on the second line. It's easy to project because Canucks do not display much imagination. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a story there, either.
The only story for true Canuck fans will be ........”What does it take to get another Hughes in the draft”

Reactions: JuniorNelson

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
JD is a good guy, and like or hate him, he always showed his work and tried to back up his analysis. That's far more than you can say for a lot of other "pundits". CA has produced a ton of good analysts that have gone on to bigger and better things.

I wonder why he's stepping down from CA though. Just too much work? Or maybe he's taking on a bigger role at The Athletic.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Anybody find it annoying/ironic that Taylor & Moj take so much time off during the summer when sports radio shows kinda need the banter that their show is known for to kill time (especially in a hockey dominated market like ours), however when it's hockey season & you want to be informed over hearing inside jokes/silly pole questions they never miss a day.

Just another frustrating layer of Donny/Moj

Donnie and Moj are total morons who know jack shit about sports. They’re show is completely unlistenable even without the constant giggling and off topic nonsense rambling.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Donnie and Moj are total morons who know jack **** about sports. They’re show is completely unlistenable even without the constant giggling and off topic nonsense rambling.

I have a soft spot for Taylor. He's been around the Vancouver scene for 3 decades or so, and I've found him enjoyable on sports page. These days, I guess the question is how passionate is he about his job. When you have been around as long as he has, it's not surprising if he lost a few miles on his fastball for multiple reasons.

As for moj, I don't mind him either, although I found it odd how upset he got when gillis made a joke regarding him and food a few years back. It seemed a bit childish on his behalf, but maybe I'm missing the context of the whole situation.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks Army has gone way, way down hill since Drance and Co. I guess that's a given since you weren't going to replace a lot of talent that's been literally sharked by NHL teams. Burke tried to maintain the status quo at CA under what I assume is a shoe string budget. It seemed to be basically Burke, Biech and Davis with a skeleton crew of interns and copywriters. They couldn't maintain the content flow necessary to monetize the platform. Especially when they all started moonlighting for other outlets.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if CA dies off. Since the analytics movement has gone legit in the NHL much of the, previously fringe, quantitative hockey talent that existed on blogs has gone to work in the industry itself.

Reactions: mathonwy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks Army has gone way, way down hill since Drance and Co. I guess that's a given since you weren't going to replace a lot of talent that's been literally sharked by NHL teams. Burke tried to maintain the status quo at CA under what I assume is a shoe string budget. It seemed to be basically Burke, Biech and Davis with a skeleton crew of interns and copywriters. They couldn't maintain the content flow necessary to monetize the platform. Especially when they all started moonlighting for other outlets.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if CA dies off. Since the analytics movement has gone legit in the NHL much of the, previously fringe, quantitative hockey talent that existed on blogs has gone to work in the industry itself.

The last point you made is sad for all of us (but good for the guys doing the work). The best public analysts are probably going to get poached by NHL teams. And now with The Athletic, the best writers for analytically-inclined blogs will probably get swallowed up too. I could easily see CA eventually shuttering too. But even if that happens, I doubt there would be much of a drop in content as all of JD, Biech and Davis will end up writing for the Athletic on a more frequent basis.

It's just without the CAs of the world, it'll be harder to discover up-and-coming bloggers.

Reactions: Tv9924

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ya I agree. Some of the CA posts are worse than Daily Hive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->