Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Has anyone else noticed that Sportsnet has a real problem with mic levels? You can clearly hear Joey Kenward, and Alex Auld, but when it goes to Corey Hirsch, the volume just drops. How can the producers not hear this. I know some comments will be about hos it's great not to hear Hirsch, but besides that, how can they let this go on?

I find the station very quiet in general.

member 290103

Is SN winning any of the ratings battles with TSN? I know tsn just went to 3 4 hour shows but you’d have to think that SN expects to be winning since they own the Canucks and giants rights.

Last I read they were not. 1040 has the two best shows on Vancouver sports radio. Sportsnet's entire lineup is bad. Even the guys I think are solid can't really put on good radio - like Satiar Shaw. That hour of him and Auld talking is like listening to paint dry.....despite the fact both are pretty solid and rational guys. I think they need more callers - more interaction with the audience.

Donnie and the Moj is a horrible show on 1040 though and if they don't step in and correct it, they are going to see listeners migrate over to 650 and potentially stay here. That segment they put on for the last 10 weeks where they all run the draft lottery simulator and Don pronounces that "Les Devils De New Jersey, for those of you that don't speak French...." FML. The DTMZ segment, the Big Ry segment.....it's maddening. To top it all off their takes and positions are all basically completely irrational. I can't stand either of them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ok thanks. I can envision another shakeup at SN come September. It will be 2 full years since they came on.

Sat needs someone to play off him. He and Auld are too calm and rational. Need a counter to it just a bit.

Perry and Cball are just bland in the morning.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
To me Sat just isn't very smooth when he is talking on the spot and it sounds like a kid who hasnt practiced for a presentation he was suppose to give. Auld is good.

Moj and Don Taylor have to be close to done. Its so clear they dont even prepare for work.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
To me Sat just isn't very smooth when he is talking on the spot and it sounds like a kid who hasnt practiced for a presentation he was suppose to give. Auld is good.

Moj and Don Taylor have to be close to done. Its so clear they dont even prepare for work.

I actually think Sat sounds more like a kid who prepared way too much and trying to cram as much stuff into his presentation as he can. He hasn't learned to put in breaks for effect or throw in a joke.

To me, 1040's style is more traditional sports radio. They are the classic take one topic and stretch it over 3-4 hours type show where you rant a bit, have a guest come on, take a few calls, play some clips, rant some more and essentially nothing is said but time is killed. The vocabulary doesn't have to extend much beyond high school level. Except for Walker, 650's style seems to more along the lines of a seminar presentation. They favour well spoken guys who sound like they are giving a lecture rather than "talk."

If you count overall words said on the radio, I bet that at the end of the day words spoken by 650 guys double the 1040 guys at the very least.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Is SN winning any of the ratings battles with TSN? I know tsn just went to 3 4 hour shows but you’d have to think that SN expects to be winning since they own the Canucks and giants rights.
It doesn't really matter. Sportnet pays way more for the building naming rights for Rogers Arena than the radio rights. Both pale compared to the national TV rights and all combined are less than the Sportsnet Pacific games. Its just one big give and take cheque.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It doesn't really matter. Sportnet pays way more for the building naming rights for Rogers Arena than the radio rights. Both pale compared to the national TV rights and all combined are less than the Sportsnet Pacific games. Its just one big give and take cheque.

Well you can never tell with Rogers. They have the resources to play the long game but they can also penny pinch. Just look at the Blue Jays. There were many years where they could have spent more money to field a better team that would have generated more revenue but they chose not to likely because the income generated by a successful Blue Jays franchise is relatively small for the company. Compared to 1040 they obviously went with a cheap lineup of hosts. At the end of the day, income from 650 is peanuts so why bother winning the ratings war?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Agree, sat sounds a little bit awkward and I sometimes wonder if he did the research or just read it off a hockey blog. Because the way its presented doesnt sound smooth.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Says 10 years ago.

Don will always have a place in my heart from when he was on TV and would sign off with a flourish, but he is almost as jaded as I am. And I can guess why.

member 290103

Says 10 years ago.

Don will always have a place in my heart from when he was on TV and would sign off with a flourish, but he is almost as jaded as I am. And I can guess why.

Don was good on TV, not radio though. He's phoning it in now and completely off base with most of his analysis.

member 290103

I don't know if he even watches the games anymore. He sounds like someone who just catches highlights or reads box scores.

His takes on the Benning administration....just baffling. The most effort he puts in is on his DTMZ segment, which has nothing to do with sports. He's there to entertain himself, not his audience. Disappointing, as I was a big fan of his from his SPac and CKVU days.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Don was good on TV, not radio though. He's phoning it in now and completely off base with most of his analysis.

Yep, yep, yep, and yep.

It partly goes hand in hand - I'm guessing he's burnt out and seen it up close for too long, is not in the right place, and without putting in the work no one is going to be on target with their analysis.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
His takes on the Benning administration....just baffling. The most effort he puts in is on his DTMZ segment, which has nothing to do with sports. He's there to entertain himself, not his audience. Disappointing, as I was a big fan of his from his SPac and CKVU days.

Likewise, I've met him in person a few times because we used to go to the same gym when I lived in Coquitlam and he's pretty chill. Don't have anything against him personally, but the passion doesn't seem to be there anymore for broadcasting. Guy should probably retire.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
My thougts on the current local radio scene as someone who listens to the radio day and night:

Solkowski cybulski dhaliwal - i think its a decent show. I enjoy hearing perry and cbul ribbing dhaliwal.

Sat and auld - i like sat but this show is terrible. 2 montone speakers. Its like theyre commentating a golf tournament

Reach deep - good show

Walker and rintoul - hated walker at first but have grown to like him. Loved rintoul on team1040. He kinda annoys me now. I think hes better as the lead guy than the color guy

Halford and brough - best show in the market

Donnie and the moj - been a dt fan for 25 years. I know hes hated now but still enjoy his show. Its easy listening

Sekeres and price - second best show

Reactions: m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
CBall this morning with John Shannon actually asked John if RFA compensation for Marner (4 first rounders) is in consecutive drafts?

Like for real? You’ve been covering the sport as a professional for how many years now? Pretty sure he is old enough to remember the Scott Stevens signing by the Blues.

Like is this the depth of knowledge these media guys have? OMG.

The Reach guy earlier in the season when he hosted the night show said that they should bring Juolevi up for his 9 games to not burn an elc year. Like wtf? He’s burning it no matter what. Kid is 20 playing in the A in his draft plus 3 season.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Brendan Burke doing the national game on USA network for the Canes game. Was great as Utica announcer, sucks the Canucks didn't scoop him up. Would be an upgrade on radio and TV for Vancouver.
Just heard him for the first time doing the canes game, he's definitely better than most I'm amazed he's not an NHL game regular

Reactions: cookiefest

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
CBall is brutal.
Sekeres & Price is the best show imo.

SNET needs better mics. Their sound sucks. They also need a show like Sat & Pratt. Could work well? I’m not a fan of Pratt but he gets ratings.

Reactions: cabinessence

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
CBall is brutal.
Sekeres & Price is the best show imo.

SNET needs better mics. Their sound sucks. They also need a show like Sat & Pratt. Could work well? I’m not a fan of Pratt but he gets ratings.
Sat needs someone to provide logical counter points to. whether that's Pratt or someone else, that's what he needs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Last I read they were not. 1040 has the two best shows on Vancouver sports radio. Sportsnet's entire lineup is bad. Even the guys I think are solid can't really put on good radio - like Satiar Shaw. That hour of him and Auld talking is like listening to paint dry.....despite the fact both are pretty solid and rational guys. I think they need more callers - more interaction with the audience.

Donnie and the Moj is a horrible show on 1040 though and if they don't step in and correct it, they are going to see listeners migrate over to 650 and potentially stay here. That segment they put on for the last 10 weeks where they all run the draft lottery simulator and Don pronounces that "Les Devils De New Jersey, for those of you that don't speak French...." FML. The DTMZ segment, the Big Ry segment.....it's maddening. To top it all off their takes and positions are all basically completely irrational. I can't stand either of them.

I actually find Walker and Rentool as the best show in Vancouver these days and I used to love 1040...not so much these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad