Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I cannot stand that show. Those two are fossils that need to be put into a museum. 100% boring. Pretty much all our sports' radio here is bad. The best parts are only when there is an actual hockey person on, talking hockey. Do either of the stations have a real hockey guy slotted in to a regular time? I don't think so, other that Auld doing an hour on 650 for Canuck's lunch. But it would be a lot better if an actual hockey guy did a full (and regular) show. The hosts we currently have don't really know hockey as players, coaches, etc. They are just fanboys.
It is a "sports" station and show, not a "hockey"station and show. Believe it or not, there are other sports around and these are necessary for any Sports Radio....as we are about to find out when the Canucks do not play another game for 6 or 7 months. Would be pretty sad to have to listen to 12 hours of hockey talk everyday when your team is not even playing! I enjoy the experts like Ferraro coming on and giving their opinions about hockey...but would have difficulty listening to them comment on a Whitecaps or Lions game.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
christ is he a guy you listen to for information about the canucks or is he your wife? I don't get this stuff. Who cares if the hosts have annoying personal tics, it's literally the only interesting podcast on the Canucks.

If only this board treated everyone like that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
F
That's the reason Ferraro is probably my favourite regular analyst/commentator on their segments. He's able to give a more accurate representation of the game from the perspective of someone who actually played in the NHL.
For about six months a few years back Rintoul and Ferraro did the morning show on 1040. It was the best six months for any sports radio here. Then we lost Ray to TV.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Worst show on sports radio. Half the reason is because half the show is not spirts related. Why they think we want to hear Dons summary of the prior nights episode of Entertainment Tonight daily as a segment I’ll never know.

Why we’d want to hear their kid producer daily reading tweets where they can mock him for his command of the English language, I’ll never know.

The show is off the rails. It won’t last. Reminds me a lot of Dan Russell. People were pointing out issues left and right with his show for years and he’d always laugh them off. Then one day his gig got cancelled and he never worked again. Donny and the Moj are on that path.

I'd be way more into listening to a show with the Rink Wide guys, Andrew Wadden and JD Burke, over the two dinosaurs currently giggling their way thru their 4 hour block.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd be way more into listening to a show with the Rink Wide guys, Andrew Wadden and JD Burke, over the two dinosaurs currently giggling their way thru their 4 hour block.

Why don’t the local stations realize what we want id new modern thinking guys ?

member 290103

1040 gets it in that they have Halford/Brough in the AM (which is a vast improvement over their prior AM Pratt driven garbage shows) and they have moved Sekeres and Price to the PM. They just need to do something about the midday show. Taylor and Moj are completely out of touch, their show is not entertaining.

I try to switch over at work to 650, but they are so bad. It's a toss up between that and listening to Taylor recycle his boring schedule like the "draft lottery" segment where "Les Oiler De Edmonton, for those of you who don't speak French, the Edmonton Oilers, win the #1 overall pick" and the 650 overall dullness.

Honestly, the Moj and Taylor show is put on for the amusement of the hosts. They ignore the audience. It's horrible radio. If only 650 was not equally as bad, they'd flip me in a second.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Alex auld just gave an incredible response and insight to message boards.
I called and ask him what he thought about social media (not twitter or youtube) singled out message boards as a whole, like hf boards, reddit, etc.

I’ll try to post it when it’s audio was up

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
4 hours of J.D. Burke is hard to imagine. I don't think I have enemies but if I did, I don't think I could wish that on them.

When I made the suggestion I was leaning more Andrew Wadden. He's got great energy and does well with Rink Wide in carrying/directing the show. We won't hold the fact that he's a leafs fan against him though.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Still the best 2 guys in Vancouver media and the only guys who tell it like it is.

Add Rintoul to the annoying homer list who cant say anything critical about this perennial non playoff team that makes poor management decisions.
Might be, but the shtick to me eclipses the legit content. Too bad.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Alex auld just gave an incredible response and insight to message boards.
I called and ask him what he thought about social media (not twitter or youtube) singled out message boards as a whole, like hf boards, reddit, etc.

I’ll try to post it when it’s audio was up

You hooked me with this post and now i'm left hanging!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Arguing with Corey Hirschy legit hurst my brain

The so called "toughest" sport in the world sure has the softest business aide and media

Click the tweet and read every replies of the conversation if you are interested

I just posted about how soft the media was in the OOT thread. Damn, 100% agree with you.

Canadian sports media is the softest I've ever seen. These guys have never seen a bad player, until they leave the team and don't have to see them at practice everyday. Why even get into journalism if you don't have the balls to give your opinion or ask hard questions. Some of these guys are supposed to give their "honest" take on radio all the time and it's the same shit every god damn time. It's whatever the teams official stance is on an issue. Or rationalize harder than some of the Benning supporters on HFVan.

Bunch of softies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I just posted about how soft the media was in the OOT thread. Damn, 100% agree with you.

Canadian sports media is the softest I've ever seen. These guys have never seen a bad player, until they leave the team and don't have to see them at practice everyday. Why even get into journalism if you don't have the balls to give your opinion or ask hard questions. Some of these guys are supposed to give their "honest" take on radio all the time and it's the same **** every god damn time. It's whatever the teams official stance is on an issue. Or rationalize harder than some of the Benning supporters on HFVan.

Bunch of softies.
And always conclude it with “some of the fans can only see the bad part”
Pat themselves the back

member 290103

The so called "toughest" sport in the world sure has the softest business aide and media

Click the tweet and read every replies of the conversation if you are interested

Typical Sportsnet personality. The guy really thinks that a GM of a Professional hockey team should be immune to critcism and calls for his termination? If that’s too hard for Benning or Hirsch to handle, maybe get the f*** out of the business and find lower profile job.

What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

Well, I think I helped to some of that.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
1040 (Brough/Halford and now Sekeres/Price, at least--I skipped Donnie/Moj) are not pulling many punches today.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
My AM fuzzed up, but it sounded like things got a little heated duringthe crossover between Taylor/Moj and Sekeres/Price.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Donnie and the Moj support Bennings work. They are basically complete idiots.

They have criticized him enough that I don't think they fully support him.

Of the people on the TSN1040 network, I think these two have made a conscious effort to be the dissenting voice there. Whether that's by design or what they actually think is up for debate. On the whole, they have levied plenty of criticism towards this regime. Just something to keep in mind when evaluating their take today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad