Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeLemay14

Feb 19, 2015
I personally have never been a huge fan of Botch’s work. The schtick just never really worked for me. But that being said, he was a towering influence on Canucks world, and on sports media in this town in general.

His obsessive and laser-like focus on particular issues and details, contributed in no small part to the thoroughness, depth and more grounded/scientific approach to hockey coverage, that have now become common place here, in recent years.

Botch leaves us with a big hole in the Canucks landscape - he’ll be hugely missed. Good thoughts and lots of love to his family and friends at this sad and difficult time.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
STATEMENT FROM THE FAMILY OF JASON BOTCHFORD

Jason Botchford’s family is sad to announce that Jason has died of apparent heart failure. Jason was a highly respected hockey journalist, prominent in the Vancouver area and across Canada for his coverage of the Vancouver Canucks and the National Hockey League for The Athletic Vancouver and for TSN radio and television.

Jason, 48, grew up in Aurora, Ontario. After completing his studies at Western University in London, Ontario, he graduated from the advanced journalism program at Centennial College in Toronto. He began his journalism career as a reporter for the Toronto Sun, then moved to Vancouver to take a news reporting job at the Vancouver Province. Soon after he started at the Province, he moved into sports to cover the Canucks and NHL.

Last fall Jason joined The Athletic Vancouver as its senior hockey writer. He developed a huge following with his lively, often playful writing style, edgy commentary and plugged-in reportage. He appeared regularly on Vancouver radio station TSN 1040 and on TSN’s parent network, particularly its popular That’s Hockey segment. And he was dynamic presence on social media, attracting more than 59,000 Twitter followers.

A loving father and husband, Jason is survived by his wife, Kathryn; their children, Sienna, Keira and Hudson; his brother, Derek Botchford, sister-in-law Andrea Soto and nephews Nolan and Miles; and his stepfather, John Lott. He was predeceased by his mother, Nancy Lott, in 2016, and his father, Henry Botchford, in 2018.

The family is heartbroken at his unexpected passing. We will be making no further statements and ask that our privacy be respected. Arrangements for a memorial service are incomplete.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Great idea.
We can all come up with names
I think something as simple as "Jason botchford Vancouver Sports Media Thread" or "Botchford News Media Memorial Thread".

Not sure, I am sure we can all think of something.

Last edited:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
to this day i believe the fans/media changed the course of the canucks (for the worse) after 2011 by getting in the head of ownership.

Botchford was one of the main media members that was getting in the heads of the fans/ownership -for the good-.

this is a HUGE loss, both off -and- on the ice.

he was helping us teach/educated the casuals and ownership of the right direction and course of action needed.

what a shame, the Canucks are worse off without Botch.

crateco

May 2, 2019
first thing i did when i woke up this morning in NC and think of Botch and his family. Ugh. And then I wrote something to help deal. I just feel the need to share it cuz when you're an out of towner like me, having guys like botch made it easier to stay engaged. here's the text...mods, delete this if it's too long. i totally understand.

When I first signed up for twitter about a year ago, the first person I followed was Jason Botchford. The second was the Vancouver Canucks.

The two of them went hand in hand but not in the way you’re thinking. Botchford wasn’t a shill for the team, he wasn’t out to promote your Vancouver Canucks and he sure as shit wasn’t going to pump your tires unless you deserved it.

That’s what we loved about Botch. As was so perfectly said on TSN 1040 radio today, he was a fan of the Canucks’ fan.

I was born and raised in Vancouver in 1970, I started following the Canucks at the ripe age of five when our family had seasons tickets in the blues. I saw the Islanders blow us out in 4, Nathan Lafayette hit the crossbar in ’94 and can’t un-remember watching game 7 with my new baby girl hoping the Canucks would win the Cup the same year she was born in 2011.

Nope. In a weird twist of fate, the Bruins won the Cup the year I was born AND the year she was born. Brutal.

Then I moved to North Carolina in 2010 and wondered how my fandom would survive. I tried a couple years of NHL Center Ice but staying up late on the East Coast proved to be too hard, especially with a young family. And it wasn’t exactly cheap, either.

My friends back home asked me if I was a Carolina Hurricanes fan now that I lived in the Tar Heel State? Never. I know they exist and I hope they do well but they’ll never replace my Vancouver team. When you’re a lifelong fan of a team and you move away, you don’t stop being a fan, it just makes it more difficult to be engaged.

And then Botchford came along.

I credit him for keeping me interested, especially after the Cup crash of 2011 because while a graph chart would show the Canucks and their lack of youth and skill trending downward, that same chart would show Botchford and his media reach trending upward.

The dude was on a meteoric rise to capturing the voice of the Vancouver Canucks fan and screaming loudly through his megaphone on all mediums; writing, radio and podcasting.

And what a booming voice he had. He was required radio and podcasting for me here in NC.

I scrolled through the TSN audio clips and clicked on all the Botchford takes first, rarely clicking on anyone else. I tuned in and listened live whenever he did the Power Hour with Halford & Brough and I listened to every Patcast when I discovered his podcast with Jeff Paterson a couple years ago.

The dude helped me follow my TEAM, and not from the perspective of a public relations blogger who was hired to do fluffy PR pieces. Eff that. The guy spoke as a fan for the fans and he told it like it was. That was his best gift.

There is plenty of Canucks content out there but nobody came close to Botchford and his ability to combine smart hockey takes, his no-fear attitude of placing accountability squarely on management and his unwavering desire for Canucks fans to one day see a winner. And it was all wrapped up in an extremely entertaining package that hit all mediums.

He had a huge platform and he used it well.

They say one of the most important jobs the Captain of a hockey team can do is be the public voice of the team, the player who will speak to the media, coaches and management on behalf of players and be the conduit and glue, all-in-one.

Jason Botchford was that for the fans. He was our Captain. And now I feel rudderless.

I’m not even sure where to turn.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
first thing i did when i woke up this morning in NC and think of Botch and his family. Ugh. And then I wrote something to help deal. I just feel the need to share it cuz when you're an out of towner like me, having guys like botch made it easier to stay engaged. here's the text...mods, delete this if it's too long. i totally understand.

When I first signed up for twitter about a year ago, the first person I followed was Jason Botchford. The second was the Vancouver Canucks.

The two of them went hand in hand but not in the way you’re thinking. Botchford wasn’t a shill for the team, he wasn’t out to promote your Vancouver Canucks and he sure as **** wasn’t going to pump your tires unless you deserved it.

That’s what we loved about Botch. As was so perfectly said on TSN 1040 radio today, he was a fan of the Canucks’ fan.

I was born and raised in Vancouver in 1970, I started following the Canucks at the ripe age of five when our family had seasons tickets in the blues. I saw the Islanders blow us out in 4, Nathan Lafayette hit the crossbar in ’94 and can’t un-remember watching game 7 with my new baby girl hoping the Canucks would win the Cup the same year she was born in 2011.

Nope. In a weird twist of fate, the Bruins won the Cup the year I was born AND the year she was born. Brutal.

Then I moved to North Carolina in 2010 and wondered how my fandom would survive. I tried a couple years of NHL Center Ice but staying up late on the East Coast proved to be too hard, especially with a young family. And it wasn’t exactly cheap, either.

My friends back home asked me if I was a Carolina Hurricanes fan now that I lived in the Tar Heel State? Never. I know they exist and I hope they do well but they’ll never replace my Vancouver team. When you’re a lifelong fan of a team and you move away, you don’t stop being a fan, it just makes it more difficult to be engaged.

I credit him for keeping me interested, especially after the Cup crash of 2011 because while a graph chart would show the Canucks and their lack of youth and skill trending downward, that same chart would show Botchford and his media reach trending upward.

The dude was on a meteoric rise to capturing the voice of the Vancouver Canucks fan and screaming loudly through his megaphone on all mediums; writing, radio and podcasting.

And what a booming voice he had. He was required radio and podcasting for me here in NC.

I scrolled through the TSN audio clips and clicked on all the Botchford takes first, rarely clicking on anyone else. I tuned in and listened live whenever he did the Power Hour with Halford & Brough and I listened to every Patcast when I discovered his podcast with Jeff Paterson a couple years ago.

The dude helped me follow my TEAM, and not from the perspective of a public relations blogger who was hired to do fluffy PR pieces. Eff that. The guy spoke as a fan for the fans and he told it like it was. That was his best gift.

There is plenty of Canucks content out there but nobody came close to Botchford and his ability to combine smart hockey takes, his no-fear attitude of placing accountability squarely on management and his unwavering desire for Canucks fans to one day see a winner. And it was all wrapped up in an extremely entertaining package that hit all mediums.

They say one of the most important jobs the Captain of a hockey team can do is be the public voice of the team, the player who will speak to the media, coaches and management on behalf of players and be the conduit and glue, all-in-one.

Jason Botchford was that for the fans. He was our Captain. And now I feel rudderless.

Beautiful. Absolutely amazing.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

The two of them went hand in hand but not in the way you’re thinking. Botchford wasn’t a shill for the team, he wasn’t out to promote your Vancouver Canucks and he sure as **** wasn’t going to pump your tires unless you deserved it.

Nice post man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad