Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Foresight, rational thought, shrewd decision making, and a progressive outlook while seeking competitve advantages.

He also spoke last October about many topics, including not changing the scouting staff soon enough. Also worth a listen for any Canucks fan, in my opinion, regardless of your view or position.

Hour 1:
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/sekeres-price-october-10-hour-2-1.1189510

Hour 2:
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/sekeres-price-october-10-hour-3-1.1189527

Mike Gillis wishes he had changed the Canucks’ scouting staff and system earlier

LeBrun did a good piece on him in the Athletic last month, about what he's been up to recently, including teaching at my old University in Victoria, as well as travelling to seek what sets elite organizations apart.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really enjoyed the Gillis interview, he came across great. Would love to have him back running the show.

Reactions: HSD19

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Gillis on Luongo cap recapture: Roberto takes really good care of himself. But at his age, you do get injured. It was always our sense that, as he got down and injuries started to mount, that (LTIR) might be a likely scenario

Gillis: Any person who runs an NHL team wants a big, skating defenseman. (Edler’s) just a great player. There was a game in LA where he was the most dominant player by a mile. We just went “wow”. (But) d-men who play a lot of minutes and carry the puck,get hurt. It’s that simple

Gillis on Kesler: we saw the absolute best of Ryan when he was here. That was one of the times we really used analytics to improve the production of a player. We didn’t want him carrying the puck thru the neutral zone or the blue line, but if he retrieved the puck within about a 10 foot radius of the net, he was really good. So we surrounded him with players who could help...like Chris Higgins.

Gillis on Kesler and #Canucks ring of honour: Yes. Yes, I do.

Gillis on Tanev injuries: he wants to make plays, so hangs onto the puck a bit longer. And he wants to block shots, so he does. And he gets hit a lot. It’s too bad, because he’s a very good player.

Gillis on if offered a job with Canucks as President: That’s an unfair question. I had a great time in Vancouver, but I don’t know if you can relive this stuff. I can’t give an answer because I haven’t thought about it.

Gillis: I’ve had discussions with people in Seattle, but they’re a long way off. But I look forward to speaking with them (more), seems like they’ll be a progressive organization.

Gillis on players around Core Four: I want speed around those guys because none of them are real speedsters. You want players that can retrieve the puck. I think Bo Horvat can evolve into a version of Ryan Kesler, maybe a better version.

Gillis on if he could work with AV again after firing him: Absolutely. And I think Alain owes me, because he made a lot of money *laughs*
Those are difficult, challenging decisions to make. I have a lot of respect for his ability to adapt and change. And he grabbed analytics.

Gillis on his thoughts during “Fire Gillis” chants: Mmm. Not good. But I knew I was part of the problem...and in the public domain that can be very confusing. But we had some pretty good years here, and the record speaks for itself.

Gillis on Linden taking over: I didn’t care. It didn’t matter to me. You have to live your own life. I was so unhappy with some of the things going on, that it made it far less dramatic and traumatic.

Hour 1:
Sekeres & Price April 3 Hour 3

Hour 2:
Sekeres & Price April 3 Hour 4

Sounds like Seattle's going to get one heckuva President of Hockey Ops!

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
iirc when asked yesterday about how he would structure an NHL front office, Gillis indicated it would be centred around analytics and sports science, and would have 4 assistant GM's each responsible for an area that contributes to the overall plan ("macro" was the word he used).

We, uh, we have . . . like . . . um, we . . . well, we have Benning.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Does anyone listen to the Patcast with Patterson and Botchford? Just started this podcast and its great. These guys just say it as it is and have some good insight into what's going on behind the scenes and before practice.

Occasionally, but Botch and his attitude is really making it hard for me want to support him. He makes some good points, but he comes across as needy and trying to cause trouble and arguments when it's not needed.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Occasionally, but Botch and his attitude is really making it hard for me want to support him. He makes some good points, but he comes across as needy and trying to cause trouble and arguments when it's not needed.
I kinda like Botch. He gets really fired up but he provides solid rationale behind most of his points. I laugh when he lays down F bombs and calls out the stupidity of this management without any filters. Its ..refreshing? Real? Different? I dunno, I enjoy it.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I kinda like Botch. He gets really fired up but he provides solid rationale behind most of his points. I laugh when he lays down F bombs and calls out the stupidity of this management without any filters. Its ..refreshing? Real? Different? I dunno, I enjoy it.

His rationale gets ruined by his schtick. I also get turned off by how much he needs to be "back patted" and "acknowledged" for some things, even when they have nothing to do with him. His beef with Walker (real or not, I think it's staged) is annoying too. He honestly feeds the side of Canucks fans that drive me the most nuts.

Reactions: DonnyNucker and m9

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
His rationale gets ruined by his schtick. I also get turned off by how much he needs to be "back patted" and "acknowledged" for some things, even when they have nothing to do with him. His beef with Walker (real or not, I think it's staged) is annoying too. He honestly feeds the side of Canucks fans that drive me the most nuts.
Interesting. I've only listened to the latest podcast so I'll be on the lookout for this going forward

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

christ is he a guy you listen to for information about the canucks or is he your wife? I don't get this stuff. Who cares if the hosts have annoying personal tics, it's literally the only interesting podcast on the Canucks.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Completely disagree, I could care less if he is ahole, I absolutely loved his forward thinking approach. He's the type of person that always looks for an competitive advantage in every aspect of the game.
And he set this team back a decade with his inability to make a move. Other GM’s loathed him and wouldnt trade with him and he managed the team afraid to make mistakes. We are seeing something similar with benning now as he will no longer pull the trigger due to fear of being axed.

This team needs fresh leadership. No one with ties to the organization should be considered.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
christ is he a guy you listen to for information about the canucks or is he your wife? I don't get this stuff. Who cares if the hosts have annoying personal tics, it's literally the only interesting podcast on the Canucks.

Annoying tic is one thing, but when he whole schtick is to be over the top and loud, I don't find that interesting at all. He has his fans and stans but I'm not one of them.

Reactions: cabinessence

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Lets be honest, it's about entertainment. If his personality hurts his entertainment value, then he gets turned off.

He actually is a good broadcaster. He understands the tone of this market. If he dials down his fake feuds, homerism and forced anger, he would be far more bearable. He starts yelling into the microphone, I'm turning him off.

member 290103

I was listening to "Donny and the Moj" this morning while out walking the dog. I had to turn it off. Silence was much better.

Worst show on sports radio. Half the reason is because half the show is not spirts related. Why they think we want to hear Dons summary of the prior nights episode of Entertainment Tonight daily as a segment I’ll never know.

Why we’d want to hear their kid producer daily reading tweets where they can mock him for his command of the English language, I’ll never know.

The show is off the rails. It won’t last. Reminds me a lot of Dan Russell. People were pointing out issues left and right with his show for years and he’d always laugh them off. Then one day his gig got cancelled and he never worked again. Donny and the Moj are on that path.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Lets be honest, it's about entertainment. If his personality hurts his entertainment value, then he gets turned off.

He actually is a good broadcaster. He understands the tone of this market. If he dials down his fake feuds, homerism and forced anger, he would be far more bearable. He starts yelling into the microphone, I'm turning him off.

Agreed, when he's actually trying to educate the masses, instead of feeding into the frenzy and creating fake controversy he's quite good. I want informative journalism, and he can provide that.

Reactions: bobaloo88

member 290103

Agreed, when he's actually trying to educate the masses, instead of feeding into the frenzy and creating fake controversy he's quite good. I want informative journalism, and he can provide that.

He’s the sort of guy I think I would find annoying if I knew him in real life, but he’s one of the few media people willing to stand up and call out stupidity.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was listening to "Donny and the Moj" this morning while out walking the dog. I had to turn it off. Silence was much better.

I cannot stand that show. Those two are fossils that need to be put into a museum. 100% boring. Pretty much all our sports' radio here is bad. The best parts are only when there is an actual hockey person on, talking hockey. Do either of the stations have a real hockey guy slotted in to a regular time? I don't think so, other that Auld doing an hour on 650 for Canuck's lunch. But it would be a lot better if an actual hockey guy did a full (and regular) show. The hosts we currently have don't really know hockey as players, coaches, etc. They are just fanboys.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds like Seattle's going to get one heckuva President of Hockey Ops!
If he doesn’t land in Seattle then I don’t expect him back in the NHL.

Think Seattle will hire their GM this year. Especially if they are targeting someone is is currently employed. I doubt LA or LV would let their assistant GM leave before the draft. So, better to hire that person in 2019 than wait for 2020. Give that person time to assemble his list of people he wants to hire to scouting, contract negotiations, etc.

That’s the person Gillis and his plan on structuring an organization has to mesh with.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
If he doesn’t land in Seattle then I don’t expect him back in the NHL.

Think Seattle will hire their GM this year. Especially if they are targeting someone is is currently employed. I doubt LA or LV would let their assistant GM leave before the draft. So, better to hire that person in 2019 than wait for 2020. Give that person time to assemble his list of people he wants to hire to scouting, contract negotiations, etc.

That’s the person Gillis and his plan on structuring an organization has to mesh with.
If Seattle is smart they bring in both Gillis and Kreuger to run the Hockey Ops

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I cannot stand that show. Those two are fossils that need to be put into a museum. 100% boring. Pretty much all our sports' radio here is bad. The best parts are only when there is an actual hockey person on, talking hockey. Do either of the stations have a real hockey guy slotted in to a regular time? I don't think so, other that Auld doing an hour on 650 for Canuck's lunch. But it would be a lot better if an actual hockey guy did a full (and regular) show. The hosts we currently have don't really know hockey as players, coaches, etc. They are just fanboys.

That's the reason Ferraro is probably my favourite regular analyst/commentator on their segments. He's able to give a more accurate representation of the game from the perspective of someone who actually played in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad