Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
If 99% of people think JPat's voice is grating how do they listen to Blake Price if at all? They seriously are one and the same.

I can handle JPat's voice, and his opinions and sports knowledge. I can't handle price in any way - his sqeaky voice, opinions, arrogance (he knows everything...). Don't get me started on his little 'hah hah hah' laugh, either :shakehead I just don't see him as a credible sports talkshow host, imho.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Nobody is without their flaws. I read this thread and wonder if some want to make a cookie cutter model for every single personality on the air...that's boring to me. The imperfect do their job better and switch it up, who wants to listen to Don Taylor for 12 hours? I mean, that would be pretty cool to listen to and see if he could do it, but the man's got a family damn it.

Price I like. Sekeres I like. JPat, Moj, BMac, Donnie, Rintoul, Lalji, Botchford and probably more I missed I really like.

They just got to fix the AM show. Bro Jake is entertaining enough to have as a #2 guy, but Pratt as the #1? OMG they are insufferable because Bro always subjugates to Pratt's asinine comments the only time I've heard him stand ground is the Stamkos affair last APRIL/MAY.

Without Sat, who I hope gets a bigger gig down the line that show would be garbage.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Pratt is the worst part of that station. I cant take him even slightly seriously since the poker incident. Which I dont think was a stunt because when I met him last year outside a Lions game, and asked him if he really believed something that ridiculous, his face got really red and he went on a tangent about how I have no idea what I'm talking about and should stick to watching at home. Didnt seem like fake anger to me.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Pratt is the worst part of that station. I cant take him even slightly seriously since the poker incident. Which I dont think was a stunt because when I met him last year outside a Lions game, and asked him if he really believed something that ridiculous, his face got really red and he went on a tangent about how I have no idea what I'm talking about and should stick to watching at home. Didnt seem like fake anger to me.

HAHAHA oh Pratt.

When I was 18 I thought he was the most entertaining dumbass on radio, now I'm 23 and I just think he's a dumbass.

There is something to be said about people on the radio who thinks their opinions are more valid simply because they are hosting a show and you are calling into it.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Nobody is without their flaws. I read this thread and wonder if some want to make a cookie cutter model for every single personality on the air...that's boring to me. The imperfect do their job better and switch it up, who wants to listen to Don Taylor for 12 hours? I mean, that would be pretty cool to listen to and see if he could do it, but the man's got a family damn it.

Price I like. Sekeres I like. JPat, Moj, BMac, Donnie, Rintoul, Lalji, Botchford and probably more I missed I really like.

They just got to fix the AM show. Bro Jake is entertaining enough to have as a #2 guy, but Pratt as the #1? OMG they are insufferable because Bro always subjugates to Pratt's asinine comments the only time I've heard him stand ground is the Stamkos affair last APRIL/MAY.

Without Sat, who I hope gets a bigger gig down the line that show would be garbage.
I agree with a lot of that. Don't care much for Sekeres though. I'll never forget how he went on and on for days about how bad a person Rick Rypien was after he grabbed that fan in Minnesota. It became ridiculous. He also ran an interview with Mike Ditka talking about brain damage in the NFL. I listened to it. After the interview Sekeres claimed Ditka said concussions lead to suicide. Ditka said no such thing. I couldn't believe Sekeres was making **** up like that about an interview he just ran as if his listeners were stupid.

B-Mac is probably my favourite, Taylor, Botch (wish he's do more). Agree with you about Sat too. The one guy I can't stand is Jake Edwards. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but his bombastic promos and lack of knowledge drives me crazy. And every famous person is his "bud". He pissed in the same washroom as some celebrity and now they're "buds". And his singing. My God his singing. They blocked my email address after I told them next time Edwards sings I was going to strangle a duckling.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Do they still play The Champ? Haven't listened to 1040 in around a year or so. That was pretty much the worst thing to ever happen on my radio, I think.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HAHAHA oh Pratt.

There is something to be said about people on the radio who thinks their opinions are more valid simply because they are hosting a show and you are calling into it.

Pratt is the guy in the business meeting who says things loudly and with conviction so it must be true! (even if it isn't)

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Do they still play The Champ? Haven't listened to 1040 in around a year or so. That was pretty much the worst thing to ever happen on my radio, I think.

I always thought Bro Jake missed the boat on the champ. He just continued with the same routine when he should have thrown a sports twist in there. They should have tied the champ to Canucks, Lions, Whitecaps on game days, where the champ talks crap and beats up opponent's fans etc.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Used to like Sekeres, but I've quickly become tired his high brow, intellectual "I went to Carlton and live in Kitsilano" routine. I won't even call it a gimmick because I'm sure that's how he is in real life. ****ing annoying.

lemairefan

Mar 8, 2012
Matt Sekeres appears to be extremely insecure as well. I listen about 2-3 times/week, for 20-45 mins at a time. At least half the time - that I'm listening - he makes reference to the fact he has a "lady" or girlfriend. Single men who are radio personalities rarely do that. It's much more common for female radio broadcasters who host lifestyle-type shows.

I hope that his shtick gets large enough that he becomes a large enough personality that he'll be hired to work in Toronto

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
At least half the time - that I'm listening - he makes reference to the fact he has a "lady" or girlfriend. Single men who are radio personalities rarely do that. It's much more common for female radio broadcasters who host lifestyle-type shows.
Great observation. He's done it nearly 10 times this week alone that I've heard

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Matt Sekeres appears to be extremely insecure as well. I listen about 2-3 times/week, for 20-45 mins at a time. At least half the time - that I'm listening - he makes reference to the fact he has a "lady" or girlfriend. Single men who are radio personalities rarely do that. It's much more common for female radio broadcasters who host lifestyle-type shows.

I hope that his shtick gets large enough that he becomes a large enough personality that he'll be hired to work in Toronto

what a bizarre post :amazed:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I miss Paul DeBron. I'll never forget him telling a story about how a guy he knew tried to capture a deer with only a rope and his bare hands.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Been tuning in 'The Fan -590' and some of the TSN sports-talk shows from TO...My gawd!...I realize TO is a much bigger place and there's more choices and competition, but the talent gap between those guys and the local talking heads in VanCity is like the Grand Canyon....it's pitiful really.:(

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Been tuning in 'The Fan -590' and some of the TSN sports-talk shows from TO...My gawd!...I realize TO is a much bigger place and there's more choices and competition, but the talent gap between those guys and the local talking heads in VanCity is like the Grand Canyon....it's pitiful really.:(

Yeah. I mean, pretty easy for the guys in TO to bring in guys like Bob McKenzie and others to do a full 30 minute or longer segment, rather than the 5 minutes 1040 gets a couple times a week.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah. I mean, pretty easy for the guys in TO to bring in guys like Bob McKenzie and others to do a full 30 minute or longer segment, rather than the 5 minutes 1040 gets a couple times a week.

Not sure what you mean....most of the guests like Bob Mackenzie are 'call-in' participants anyway....doesn't much matter whether it's Van or TO...no, I was talking about the hosts in TO, who actually sound like they know what they're talking about most of the time.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The local media needs a house cleaning. You have too many guys who are too comfortable in the spots they've held for too long. They won't put in the leg work to put in a knowledgeable show. Case in point, Don Taylor, does that guy even give a **** anymore?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Moj has a little bit of Pratt in him (sounds like him too) and can sometimes annoy me as well. Although he seems alot more self-aware (and therefore tongue-in-cheek) about his arrogance, like it's more of an intentional advertising/self promotion schtick that he knows but can't help himself or something. The other difference is that if called out on it, The Moj may concede and start to sound more reasonable, whereas Pratt will always always double-down, spiral out of control, and collapse under the weight of his own clownish ego.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
blo jake and fat david pratt are back on 1040 ... and 'off' goes my radio.

Don't remind me....I've gone the whole summer without a single minute of the Prattmeister and Bro' Jake show.....wonderful.....but with hockey season looming it's going to be harder to ignore them....but will find a way!

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
OK, while it seems most here complain about the personalities, voices, lack of knowledge etc, I'm wondering if anyone else finds it pathetic that Vancouver's sports talk radio station is almost 50% US content.... In the Canucks off-season, and if there's no Lions or Whitecaps (or heaven-forbid, the 'C's because who can't get enough of the equivalent of high school baseball) they patch the airwaves to some US crap? No late night or mid-evening talk show (like 8-10pm) that's open, like we use to have in the better days. OK, the argument maybe that thru the 2 stations, w/ the Blue Jays coverage, there's plenty of Canadian content. And plenty here would be fine if Toronto was ever mentioned locally, and yes the Seahawks are for many 'local,' but all these things could be better. They could run a 'clip show' featuring interesting interviews and guests from across the Cdn network nightly, 3 -1 hour Seahawks specific shows a week, and a real baseball show that talks a little Canadians but also MLB... They just use the 2nd channel to park some of their contractual obligation stuff and plug it with a lot of US talking heads. Yes, some of its good but it's mostly inane banter from a different perspective, no better or worse than the spots of mediocrity from Pratt and Bro Jake. That's my 2-cents...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not me, I'd be fine with more US content. It's much better than most of the local stuff. The content I can't stand is the niche broadcasts like Canadians baseball or stuff like that on both stations at the same time. There should always be some 'general' sports talk on one of the stations.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
OK, while it seems most here complain about the personalities, voices, lack of knowledge etc, I'm wondering if anyone else finds it pathetic that Vancouver's sports talk radio station is almost 50% US content.... In the Canucks off-season, and if there's no Lions or Whitecaps (or heaven-forbid, the 'C's because who can't get enough of the equivalent of high school baseball) they patch the airwaves to some US crap? No late night or mid-evening talk show (like 8-10pm) that's open, like we use to have in the better days. OK, the argument maybe that thru the 2 stations, w/ the Blue Jays coverage, there's plenty of Canadian content. And plenty here would be fine if Toronto was ever mentioned locally, and yes the Seahawks are for many 'local,' but all these things could be better. They could run a 'clip show' featuring interesting interviews and guests from across the Cdn network nightly, 3 -1 hour Seahawks specific shows a week, and a real baseball show that talks a little Canadians but also MLB... They just use the 2nd channel to park some of their contractual obligation stuff and plug it with a lot of US talking heads. Yes, some of its good but it's mostly inane banter from a different perspective, no better or worse than the spots of mediocrity from Pratt and Bro Jake. That's my 2-cents...

ANYBODY and ANYTHING is immeasurably better than blo jake. Even that "...and boom goes the dynamite" young college basketball pbp guy from a few years back, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad