Vancouver Sports Media Thread. Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Yup,Paterson know his stuff. If voice or cadence bothers you that much I feel bad for you.

Stop trying to defend the guy. His voice is grating to the ears of 99% of the listeners, this is a constant criticism by many. You seem to be the rare exception (are you a family member?) Granted, he knows his hockey stuff, but he's not suited for radio with his dramatically over inflected voice. He's better off behind the scenes like gathering quotables in scrums pre/post games or writing a sports column.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Stop trying to defend the guy. His voice is grating to the ears of 99% of the listeners, this is a constant criticism by many. You seem to be the rare exception (are you a family member?) Granted, he knows his hockey stuff, but he's not suited for radio with his dramatically over inflected voice. He's better off behind the scenes like gathering quotables in scrums pre/post games or writing a sports column.

There are far worse voices on 1040 - price's pre-pubescent squeaking, sekeres' nasal drone and bob/moj's oafish bleating, to name three off the top of my head.
I'll take J-Pat's voice over any of them in a heartbeat, not to mention his sport content is far superior.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Unlike most posters in this thread I don't hate every personality on air. Sekeres, Price and Jpat are the best 1040 has right now. Sadly Bmac, Taylor and Moj is a hot mess but not nearly as much as Bro make in the morning. They're biggest downfall though is not having Rintoul, Botch and the Kurtenbloggers.

in: Rintoul, Botchford, Jpat (full time), Kurtenbloggers
Out: Bro Jake, Taylor, Bmac

And a side note I'd replace Jon Abbott with Brendan Burke (Comets play by play guy) ASAP! It's an absolute treat to listen to Burke call games and the Canucks need to get this guy doing their games.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Unlike most posters in this thread I don't hate every personality on air. Sekeres, Price and Jpat are the best 1040 has right now. Sadly Bmac, Taylor and Moj is a hot mess but not nearly as much as Bro make in the morning. They're biggest downfall though is not having Rintoul, Botch and the Kurtenbloggers.

in: Rintoul, Botchford, Jpat (full time), Kurtenbloggers
Out: Bro Jake, Taylor, Bmac

And a side note I'd replace Jon Abbott with Brendan Burke (Comets play by play guy) ASAP! It's an absolute treat to listen to Burke call games and the Canucks need to get this guy doing their games.

Yup - jon "abbs" abbott has to go; he is abysmal.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
For those of you dreaming that Brendan Burke would come over to do the PBP for the Canucks. Sources are telling me that he is about to become the PBP for the New York Islanders.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Once again my source is correct

confirmed. congratulations Brendan Burke

Jeff Capellini ‏@GreenLanternJet · 3m3 minutes ago

Source confirms former Utica Comets radio voice @brendanmburke will be new #Isles TV pay-by-play man. #NYI

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Your source didn't break anything 3 minutes before that tweet. Common man you're reaching now. You publicly saw he was leaving, raced to HFboards to post first and claim your 'source' broke some insider info LOL

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
damn. Burke over Abbot would have been huge.

IMO.
Rintoul and Moj in the morning(6-10) fast paced and information heavy (sports specific guests Ferraro, Woodley Johnson Mckenzie NHL for segments no more celeb birthdays and TMZ crap. CFL MLS MLB NBA as breaks and NFL heavy on Monday and Tuesday( with a pre hype show on Friday afternoon see Pratt.)

Sekeras and Price (same 10-2) tell Price to stop the passive aggressive BS grow a pair and make some statements

Pratt pre game with Bro can do music and create some positive vibes(cheerlead i guess) ...add Botch and Kurtenbloggers and guests. (Burke again would have been kill)
would love to see a fresh face come in and do a UBC SFU UFV breakdown and hype of events and accomplishments around the lower mainland quickly once a week to spike some interest......lets face it this city stinks at supporting collegiate athletics. as well as NFL matches (Berger) and spreads on Fridays. can even have Moj join in on the NFL stuff.

BMac and Taylor need to just have a blast from the past History type segment where they go on about this day in sports and an editorial of personalities from a choice of 30 that were born that month. A Steven Brunt type piece with some laughs and current discussion after if time. Taylor could even run a call in trivia game for tickets while doing this. encourage some trading between Seahawks Mariners and Canucks as well for some outta town stuff and to keep it fun. run it before the pre game show for a couple hours before 7 pm starts or a buffer between Sekeras and Price when Canucks are out east. would have to be more compressed with the early starts.

hire some well spoken post game young guys. behind the numbers and stuff into the evenings

my 2c

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Your source didn't break anything 3 minutes before that tweet. Common man you're reaching now. You publicly saw he was leaving, raced to HFboards to post first and claim your 'source' broke some insider info LOL

Especially when the tweet he quoted was posted before his first post claiming his source told him.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Guys relax. I was just joking around.

Who cares about Brendan Burke getting a job for the Islanders

Also I could care less about being a insider very truly I tell you

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
You weren't joking. You tried to beat the clock to come across like your insider broke this story. That wasn't true so now you're trying to snuff it off. Just like you faking a whole conversation with Benning, and claiming you have a "scout" insider, but won't say who, or for what team, or how you know them etc.

You very much appear like you want to be an insider, posting on here and Reddit....probably CBC too but who knows.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I never said I had a conversation with Jim Benning

Never posted on Reddit nor on Canucks Website. you are assuming that.

So not sure what you are trying to get at.

as mentioned. I am not trying to be a insider as I am not a insider.

Sorry If I have ruined your guys days. clearly you are wasting way too much energy into this

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
How is it a news worthy story (in the sports section of all places) that Willie Mitchell and Dan Hamuis bought a Tofino Motel. That is headlining the province Canucks section right now.

I didn't read the story because I'm not willing to pay for their garbage subscription.

It already seems like the news section of The Province is sponsored by the Realtor's Association of BC (as they always have at least one pro realtor story in the news section running down Christy clark and the new tax).

Now this story about a Motel transaction? Is this just a sports writer doing a favor for some guys that always were nice to him in interviews and now they get a one page ad headlining the Canucks Section. I know it's the summer but come on.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Only way you're getting rid of Abbot is if TSN offers him a better job. I don't think the Canucks can even get rid of him on their own.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Only way you're getting rid of Abbot is if TSN offers him a better job. I don't think the Canucks can even get rid of him on their own.

abbott is absolutely horrible. He's been co-hosting the last two mornings on 1040 - cringeworthy.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
abbott is absolutely horrible. He's been co-hosting the last two mornings on 1040 - cringeworthy.

I absolutely agree with you here.

I don't want to be a jerk, but I just can't listen to John Abbott do his thing on game day. There is just no feel for the game, no ability to paint a picture, no connection to the listener. He is the worst play by play guy I have ever listened to. When I am driving somewhere on game day, I literally have to turn the game off if he is in the seat for that day. I just can't listen.

I have no problem with him on a talk show or when they interview him pre or post game, etc.. But he can not call a game in any way. I have heard better from kids at the old hockey hall of fame announcer booth doing a voice over on one of the classic goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad