Vancouver Sports Media III

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Apparently on the latest "Larsch cast" James Cybulski reveals some things about Jared McCann and why he was traded.

I refuse to listen to that trash so was wondering if anyone else did and can give the run down?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Regardless of what new tidbits come out it tells fans the following:

1) how much did JB and crew dig into a fist round pick before selecting him if after 2 years you trade him
2) speaks poorly of the coaching Staff, management, and team leadership if they can’t help turn a 20 year old around.
3) plus it seems like McCann has it figured out for the most part now.

as for C Ball, they guy has been the only hold over of the morning show since it debuted almost 3 years ago. Couldn’t beat Bro and Pratt and can’t beat the Kurtenbloggers.

how long a contract did the original batch of hosts sign for in 2017? SN dropped 75% of their ratings while TSN retained 75% of their listeners during this pandemic.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Regardless of what new tidbits come out it tells fans the following:

1) how much did JB and crew dig into a fist round pick before selecting him if after 2 years you trade him
2) speaks poorly of the coaching Staff, management, and team leadership if they can’t help turn a 20 year old around.
3) plus it seems like McCann has it figured out for the most part now.

as for C Ball, they guy has been the only hold over of the morning show since it debuted almost 3 years ago. Couldn’t beat Bro and Pratt and can’t beat the Kurtenbloggers.

how long a contract did the original batch of hosts sign for in 2017? SN dropped 75% of their ratings while TSN retained 75% of their listeners during this pandemic.
Did the local media guy mention JB’s insistence on drafting for character, when discussing McCann?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Morning until noon is 1040. Afternoon guys on 1040 (Sekeras) is terrible. From noon to 4 got to go 650. After 4 neither.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like Luckylarry suggested, if "it's not necessary the 9th going but just a first that ended up being the 9th. Maybe with Miller it's a lower first" then you just just suggested why it wasn't the 9th overall for Miller. The San Jose Sharks did not offer the 3rd overall pick in the 2020 draft to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson.

The "rumor" in question was 9th overall for Miller. Your post above clearly suggests that you doubt the veracity of the rumor.

Again, there is a lot of stuff we know here.

We know 100% that Jim Benning had a major offer for Miller, because he told us so at the fan summit that summer.

We also know 100% that Jim Benning and Doug Wilson were in trade talks at that exact time, because Kevin Bieksa was (briefly) traded there just before the draft.

We can also know with a fairly high degree of certainty that the team Benning was referring to in his comments was probably SJ, because when you went around the league there simply weren't any other teams looking for a veteran starting goalie at that point.

So we can say pretty conclusively that SJ almost certainly made a large offer for Ryan Miller. Everything lines up and that's what the evidence strongly suggests.

The question is what that large offer was and if it was a 1-for-1 deal. Given the Bieksa trade that happened, my strong suspicion is that there was a Miller + Bieksa for #9 overall deal deal (perhaps with other small pieces or us taking a cap dump back) that was offered and that Benning turned that deal down because he did not want to trade Miller, and that Wilson and Benning then agreed on a smaller deal of a lower pick for Bieksa.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is there a link to this anywhere?

I've heard it so it existed somewhere back in 2015.

Basically the NHL network played the live mics of the broadcasters on-air during the commercial breaks instead of commercials and the broadcasters didn't realize. Peter McNab got in trouble in Colorado for the same thing when he was caught complaining during a break that his wife never gave him bjs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1040 from 6 to Noon
650 from Noon to 6

650 must dump their morning guys
1040 must dump Sekeras

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
That was from the intermission breaks and stoppages during a game. It was only audible through a livestream that didn't have advertisements playing for whatever reason, so it was just footage of cameras from the rink and the producers left the commentators mics hot. Nobody realized until after the game ended. So good

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was from the intermission breaks and stoppages during a game. It was only audible through a livestream that didn't have advertisements playing for whatever reason, so it was just footage of cameras from the rink and the producers left the commentators mics hot. Nobody realized until after the game ended. So good

I don't think it was a livestream because I've definitely heard the Hughson/Simpson audio after the fact. I thought it was from the NHL network, where they black out the screen during commercials but left the audio running.

Reactions: timw33

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I don't think it was a livestream because I've definitely heard the Hughson/Simpson audio after the fact. I thought it was from the NHL network, where they black out the screen during commercials but left the audio running.
It was an NHL network feed that someone may or may not have been sharing with others on some platform. The questionable nature of the stream may have played a part in why ads weren't ran and the usual "advertisement break" screen the NHL throws up didnt show up

I might have seen it all live but I cant recall

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
1040 from 6 to Noon
650 from Noon to 6

650 must dump their morning guys
1040 must dump Sekeras

650's afternoon drive is brutal. I'm sorry. Anything with Andrew Walker is unlistenable.

I'm a fan of Sat and have been since he was on the 1040 morning show but Walker is half trying to do his best Pratt impression and half constantly trying to troll the market or be king contrarian.

Reactions: Peter10

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
650's afternoon drive is brutal. I'm sorry. Anything with Andrew Walker is unlistenable.

I'm a fan of Sat and have been since he was on the 1040 morning show but Walker is half trying to do his best Pratt impression and half constantly trying to troll the market or be king contrarian.
Agreed. I should have put Noon to 4. I do like Sat though. Walker and Sekeras can both head back to Ontario. :thumbd:

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Agreed. I should have put Noon to 4. I do like Sat though. Walker and Sekeras can both head back to Ontario. :thumbd:

I'm not saying it's what you were implying but I hate the idea that because someone came from somewhere else they don't belong in the market.

People used to say that about Jason Botchford and I don't think there's anyone who got the market better then him.

Sekeres has been here for 13 or so years now. He's a part of it. I know he's not for everyone though, I like him, I think he's a good fit with Blake Price and that they put on a good program.

Reactions: racerjoe

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not saying it's what you were implying but I hate the idea that because someone came from somewhere else they don't belong in the market.

People used to say that about Jason Botchford and I don't think there's anyone who got the market better then him.

Sekeres has been here for 13 or so years now. He's a part of it. I know he's not for everyone though, I like him, I think he's a good fit with Blake Price and that they put on a good program.
Bothchford was excellent, and is missed in our market.
We’ve gone from CKNW’s sports talk with
Dan Russel for a few hours each week, to two sports stations. That’s a huge improvement for us hockey fans.
I remember tuning in US radio just to have sports talk. Personalities like “The Fabulous Sports Babe” were the staple.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I've heard it so it existed somewhere back in 2015.

Basically the NHL network played the live mics of the broadcasters on-air during the commercial breaks instead of commercials and the broadcasters didn't realize. Peter McNab got in trouble in Colorado for the same thing when he was caught complaining during a break that his wife never gave him bjs.
This clip available anywhere? McNab. :laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Again, there is a lot of stuff we know here.

We know 100% that Jim Benning had a major offer for Miller, because he told us so at the fan summit that summer.

The rest of your post isn't worth responding to because your whole premise is that there was as a major offer for Miller. That is just BS fake news you made up or you hate the guy so much that you unconsciously put your own spin on things.

Here is the summer fan summit you referenced. At 20:40, Benning was asked the well-reported question about Ryan Miller. Benning said, "We could have moved Ryan Miller. There were teams calling for Ryan Miller." Based on that comment the only thing that was reported was that the Canucks could have moved Ryan Miller. There was nothing about a major offer.

With that said, I did not attend the summit or watched the entire summit video. If you can please link me to where Benning said there was a major offer for Ryan Miller in the video I would be happy to apologize and admit that I am wrong. In the mean time, the ball is in your court.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The rest of your post isn't worth responding to because your whole premise is that there was as a major offer for Miller. That is just BS fake news you made up or you hate the guy so much that you unconsciously put your own spin on things.

Here is the summer fan summit you referenced. At 20:40, Benning was asked the well-reported question about Ryan Miller. Benning said, "We could have moved Ryan Miller. There were teams calling for Ryan Miller." Based on that comment the only thing that was reported was that the Canucks could have moved Ryan Miller. There was nothing about a major offer.

With that said, I did not attend the summit or watched the entire summit video. If you can please link me to where Benning said there was a major offer for Ryan Miller in the video I would be happy to apologize and admit that I am wrong. In the mean time, the ball is in your court.

Hmmm it's been a while but I could have sworn there was a second quote from Benning on this.

Regardless, everything holds. The team was almost certainly San Jose, it would make no sense to be working on two separate individual deals so a Miller-Bieksa package was almost certainly being discussed, and the price would have been far higher than the high 2nd rounder that Bieksa went for.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
A few months prior to signing in Vancouver Ryan Miller was traded with Steve Ott to the blues for a 1st and 3rd round pick, recent 2nd round pick prospect William Carrier, 26 year old Anthony Stewart, and Jaroslav Halak (who was 29 and the defacto starter for the blues. )

Subtract whatever you think Ott was worth at the time and that still leaves a decent amount left to be the return for Ryan Miller.

Granted he didn't have a great playoffs for the blues but would his value have sunk so considerably in 16 months time that San Jose wouldn't have offered a decent return for him?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hmmm it's been a while but I could have sworn there was a second quote from Benning on this.

It sure looks like you're mistaken.

Regardless, everything holds. The team was almost certainly San Jose, it would make no sense to be working on two separate individual deals so a Miller-Bieksa package was almost certainly being discussed, and the price would have been far higher than the high 2nd rounder that Bieksa went for.

Umm... no. The whole "discussion" was based upon a Miller for No. 9 overall pick. The whole premise of your previous post was Benning telling fans that there was a major offer for Miller which you have not been able to provide evidence of. The whole equation changes when it doesn't involve the 9th overall pick. The whole equation also changes if SJ is asking for Bo Horvat and our first in return as part of a larger deal.

If Edmonton offered to trade McDavid for "Petey, Hughes, and Virtanen" and Benning rejected the offer then yes technically it would not be a lie to say that "Edmonton offered McDavid for Virtanen."

These kind of things can get misreported quickly and speculated by fans like you into something completely different. San Jose offering a first round pick for Ryan Miller at the draft does not mean they offered the 9th overall pick for Miller. It could be their 2016 pick. If the 9th overall pick was offered but San Jose requested Boeser and the 23rd overall to be added to the deal that's a much different deal than 9th overall pick for Ryan Miller.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It sure looks like you're mistaken.

Umm... no. The whole "discussion" was based upon a Miller for No. 9 overall pick. The whole premise of your previous post was Benning telling fans that there was a major offer for Miller which you have not been able to provide evidence of. The whole equation changes when it doesn't involve the 9th overall pick. The whole equation also changes if SJ is asking for Bo Horvat and our first in return as part of a larger deal.

If Edmonton offered to trade McDavid for "Petey, Hughes, and Virtanen" and Benning rejected the offer then yes technically it would not be a lie to say that "Edmonton offered McDavid for Virtanen."

These kind of things can get misreported quickly and speculated by fans like you into something completely different. San Jose offering a first round pick for Ryan Miller at the draft does not mean they offered the 9th overall pick for Miller. It could be their 2016 pick. If the 9th overall pick was offered but San Jose requested Boeser and the 23rd overall to be added to the deal that's a much different deal than 9th overall pick for Ryan Miller.

1) based on the pile of evidence we have, there is substantial reason to believe that there was a Miller+Bieksa deal being discussed with SJ. It's overwhelmingly likely that it was a thing.

2) given that Bieksa was later traded for a high 2nd, the cost for Miller+Bieksa would clearly have been substantially higher than that.

Do I know what the deal was and whether the 9th overall pick was involved or what the other components were? No, obviously, and neither do you. But the notion that there 'could' have been a Miller+Bieksa for #9 trade discussed is entirely reasonable.

The problem is that the Benning supporters have just decided NO NEVER HAPPENED! TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE! with absolutely zero evidence to support that point of view. What we do know is that there was probably a trade discussed with SJ, the cost for Miller+Bieksa would have been substantial, and a media source has reported that the #9 overall pick was involved.

Again, my personal belief based on the evidence is that there was some sort of #9+cap dump for Miller+Bieksa deal that was proposed, Benning backed out because he didn't want to trade Miller, and then the smaller deal was agreed upon. I can't prove that, but to me it's the most likely scenario given the facts.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
1) based on the pile of evidence we have, there is substantial reason to believe that there was a Miller+Bieksa deal being discussed with SJ. It's overwhelmingly likely that it was a thing.

2) given that Bieksa was later traded for a high 2nd, the cost for Miller+Bieksa would clearly have been substantially higher than that.

Do I know what the deal was and whether the 9th overall pick was involved or what the other components were? No, obviously, and neither do you. But the notion that there 'could' have been a Miller+Bieksa for #9 trade discussed is entirely reasonable.

The problem is that the Benning supporters have just decided NO NEVER HAPPENED! TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE! with absolutely zero evidence to support that point of view. What we do know is that there was probably a trade discussed with SJ, the cost for Miller+Bieksa would have been substantial, and a media source has reported that the #9 overall pick was involved.

Again, my personal belief based on the evidence is that there was some sort of #9+cap dump for Miller+Bieksa deal that was proposed, Benning backed out because he didn't want to trade Miller, and then the smaller deal was agreed upon. I can't prove that, but to me it's the most likely scenario given the facts.

Lol. Asking someone to produce evidence that something didn't happen when you're just speculating that it did? Your so called evidence is based on San Jose's interest in Miller and Bieksa and not that they were offering the 9th overall pick.

At around the time Lack was dealt, you called Miller's contract as a $6M albatross. But you think it is reasonable that Doug Wilson is going to hand over a 9th overall pick for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad