Vancouver Sports Media III

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I’m just surprised it took me actually reading an article on it to find out it was Celebrities he was at

I would have thought I would have seen some “ha ha ha jake is gay” stuff :laugh:

After a dinner and night out on the town with my wife, best friend, and his wife, we drunkenly ended up at the pump jack. That place was great, and they had a great deal on pitchers of Kronenbourg blanc.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm talking about his reputation as someone breaking news. Someone building sources in the market.

Here's the originator of the rumour confirming it.

Monday Mailbag: Goodbye Edition
Again, this does not make it factual..No other media member observes it, or recognizes it as fact...Saying he (a blogger from Canucks Army) has a source means nothing (he's quitting anyway) ...Also, look at what other little secrets he has on players..Jacob Markstrom gets around..?..and he's got sordid smut on Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen...lol...Cory Schneiders wife..complete low level gossip..Come on..

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dhaliwal and Freidmans reputable comments are considered honest by the general media..Obviously, Burkes takes are not.
It's a false rumour (Miller for a 9th) unsupported by the general sports media... Its author also refuses to confirm it....It is only alive and well in the management thread...( by roughly a dozen gullible posters).
There was no chance Ryan Miller, at his advanced age while with us, was going to return a top 10 pick. Anyone printing such a “rumour” looks foolish. I don’t read “Canuck’s Army”, and if they are printing such as the Miller trade for a 9OA story, then they aren’t worth reading.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
You can choose to not like the source but you can't deny that Canucks army has access to the team. They aren't some random blog. They have press passes and the current managing editor was on the zoom call with Jim Benning.

There are former canucks army alumni working for the canucks and throughout the league.

Reactions: racerjoe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There was no chance Ryan Miller, at his advanced age while with us, was going to return a top 10 pick. Anyone printing such a “rumour” looks foolish. I don’t read “Canuck’s Army”, and if they are printing such as the Miller trade for a 9OA story, then they aren’t worth reading.
There are 2 sides to every trade. So even if Jim would be stupid to pass up a trade like that, you still need to ask is Doug Wilson stupid enough to make that offer?

that’s the other side that never got questioned.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You can choose to not like the source but you can't deny that Canucks army has access to the team. They aren't some random blog. They have press passes and the current managing editor was on the zoom call with Jim Benning.

There are former canucks army alumni working for the canucks and throughout the league.

They had "access" to the team because they had media credentials. IIRC they weren't a trade breaking site and I don't remember reading article where they stated something along the lines of "sources tell us..." Not back in the day when they made themselves known as an analytics based Canucks blog.

Canucks Army alumni are mostly divided into two groups: those who did analytics and video analysis and those who are writers. The former group that found NHL jobs worked in the teams' analytics department. The latter group (if they found an NHL job) worked in the PR department.

Being hired by NHL teams for their analytics and video work doesn't mean they had "access" to the team in the way they are fed insider information. If you get hired by Sportsnet 650 you get full media credentials and "access" to the team.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
After a dinner and night out on the town with my wife, best friend, and his wife, we drunkenly ended up at the pump jack. That place was great, and they had a great deal on pitchers of Kronenbourg blanc.
When Nicklas Lidström beat Cloutier from center ice in the 2002 playoffs, I was watching from the Fountainhead. (Lived in the West End that year, it was close).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There are 2 sides to every trade. So even if Jim would be stupid to pass up a trade like that, you still need to ask is Doug Wilson stupid enough to make that offer?

that’s the other side that never got questioned.
Is Doug Wilson that inept to offer 9OA for an old Ryan Miller? Clearly he’s not. This “supposed” offer never happened.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Is Doug Wilson that inept to offer 9OA for an old Ryan Miller? Clearly he’s not. This “supposed” offer never happened.

Straight up one for one? Yeah I doubt it. But with other pieces and those as the base it's a little more believable.

This would have been prior to the sharks trading for Jones. They had Niemi who wasn't getting it done. They were only able to get Jones out of LA because he was moved to Boston first in another deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Straight up one for one? Yeah I doubt it. But with other pieces and those as the base it's a little more believable.

This would have been prior to the sharks trading for Jones. They had Niemi who wasn't getting it done. They were only able to get Jones out of LA because he was moved to Boston first in another deal.

But the year prior we were reportedly bidding against ourselves?

"Other" pieces changes the equation and isn't 9th overall for Ryan Miller. If the 9th overall was ever offered it could be 9th overall for Miller and Horvat. Horvat would be someone the Sharks would be familiar with. An aging Ryan Miller that the Canucks reportedly bid against themselves just the summer prior is not worth a 9th overall pick. Sharks fans don't seem to buy this BS but apparently some Canucks fans here are gullible enough to believe it.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
But the year prior we were reportedly bidding against ourselves?

"Other" pieces changes the equation and isn't 9th overall for Ryan Miller. If the 9th overall was ever offered it could be 9th overall for Miller and Horvat. Horvat would be someone the Sharks would be familiar with. An aging Ryan Miller that the Canucks reportedly bid against themselves just the summer prior is not worth a 9th overall pick. Sharks fans don't seem to buy this BS but apparently some Canucks fans here are gullible enough to believe it.

A few months prior to signing in Vancouver Miller was traded with Steve Ott for a 1st, a 3rd , and Carrier, Halas, and Stewart.

Subtract whatever you think Ott's value is and that's still a decent amount for Miller. Plus the trade for Jones came in the off season, so you would think if they wanted Miller it be the same time.

Hence it's not necessarily the 9th going but just a first that ended up being the 9th. Maybe with Miller it's a lower first.

It's just not out of the realm of possibility in my opinion.

Reactions: vanuck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A few months prior to signing in Vancouver Miller was traded with Steve Ott for a 1st, a 3rd , and Carrier, Halas, and Stewart.

Subtract whatever you think Ott's value is and that's still a decent amount for Miller. Plus the trade for Jones came in the off season, so you would think if they wanted Miller it be the same time.

Hence it's not necessarily the 9th going but just a first that ended up being the 9th. Maybe with Miller it's a lower first.

But you just justified why it wasn’t the 9OA for Miller, and that’s the suggestion in the article. It never happened, because Miller (at that point in his career) was not worth a top 10 pick.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Like Luckylarry suggested, if "it's not necessary the 9th going but just a first that ended up being the 9th. Maybe with Miller it's a lower first" then you just just suggested why it wasn't the 9th overall for Miller. The San Jose Sharks did not offer the 3rd overall pick in the 2020 draft to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson.

The "rumor" in question was 9th overall for Miller. Your post above clearly suggests that you doubt the veracity of the rumor.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
When Nicklas Lidström beat Cloutier from center ice in the 2002 playoffs, I was watching from the Fountainhead. (Lived in the West End that year, it was close).
A decade ago I used to go to the fountainhead semi regularly.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Simon Fraser was an explorer of Scottish ancestry who charted much of British Columbia. Clans are a part of Scottish culture representing a family or community.

LOL. The Scottish traditions of SFU were invented out of whole cloth. SFU was hastily renamed shortly before opening when its founders realized its original name, Fraser University, abbreviated to something undesirable. Simon Fraser the explorer was born in New York City and barely associated with Clan Fraser, but "tradition" was born when the first chancellor of SFU, a Scottish immigrant, invited the then-current Lord Fraser, also named Simon Fraser, to give a speech at its opening ceremonies. It's not even clear which Simon Fraser the university is named after. More here: A Tale of Two Simon Frasers: The Invented and Contested Scottish Tradition of SFU

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Trying to get this thread on track, here is a Radim Vrbata interview from TSN1040 a few days ago where he dropped an INSANE Willie D anecdote: https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/1278713139731869696

(I recommend you listen to it without any spoilers before reading further)

Basically, Willie D would get away from his 1-2-3-4 line rotation during games, and Vrbata realized it was because the Sedins were going for corner skates during TV timeouts and that would confuse him. Jfc, what *was* he paying attention to during games?

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Trying to get this thread on track, here is a Radim Vrbata interview from TSN1040 a few days ago where he dropped an INSANE Willie D anecdote: https://twitter.com/TSN1040/status/1278713139731869696

Basically, Willie D would get away from his 1-2-3-4 line rotation during games, and Vrbata realized it was because the Sedins were going for corner skates during TV timeouts and that would confuse him. Jfc, what *was* he paying attention to during games?

That was a great interview, Vrbata was really relaxed and outgoing. I didn't know he had that personality, but then again I base that entirely on him looking like Francis Dolarhyde from Red Dragon.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

So even the players were disappointed in Willie D’s coaching.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

What? Willie D making in-game adjustments?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->