Vancouver Sports Media III

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I could see 650 looking at bringing Pratt on board to boost their ratings. Don't know if it would work or not though.

That would go against 650's MO of bringing in inexperienced local sports talk radio hosts no?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That would go against 650's MO of bringing in inexperienced local sports talk radio hosts no?

Desperate times, call for desperate measures.

(Andrew walker had a bunch of prior experience no?)

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Remember Botch being pissed that people weren’t saying Petey’s name properly?

Drance’s pronunciation of “Elias” would have earned him a bitch slap from Botch.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rintoul was on 1040 for a while.

but SN needs to do something. Perry, James, Rintoul, Walker, Shah, and Janda have all hosted A show since the inception of 650.

Fully expect them to cut down from 4 shows to 3.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

but SN needs to do something. Perry, James, Rintoul, Walker, Shah, and Janda have all hosted A show since the inception of 650.

Too many of their hosts never played hockey, and know little about the game. Listening right now, and their host just said fancy stats show “the closer to the net shots are taken, and the amount of traffic affects scoring.”
Seriously! A person needs some fancy stat to know that. My God! These are hosts who just don’t know hockey. They obviously never played, and only developed their opinions about the game from fancy stats and video games.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They had scheduled Utica Comet Coach Trent Cull, producer had contacted Comets (like they usually do) but no one replied because they have COVID related cuts so they texted Cull directly.

TSN1040 tweeted that Cull was coming on show and were contacted by one of the Canucks department saying Cull was now unavailable.

Taylor: "this would be fine if this was a one off thing, but this has happened over and over again in recent years."

Dhaliwhal: "Have been to hell and back with this department too, I did an interview with Palmu when he left Utica for Europe and got chewed out by this department for doing it"

As if the Canucks needed more negative PR, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Desperate times, call for desperate measures.

(Andrew walker had a bunch of prior experience no?)

He's not "local" though. To be fair, he's probably the best host they have.

Yep. Rintoul was the other experienced guy and was originally paired with Walker. Rintoul is so boring. Definitely not a guy who can carry a show by himself.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's not "local" though. To be fair, he's probably the best host they have.

Yep. Rintoul was the other experienced guy and was originally paired with Walker. Rintoul is so boring. Definitely not a guy who can carry a show by himself.
He was better paired up with walker but since sat shah did canucks post game it made more sense for him to do the afternoon show. And Rintoul probably didn’t mind the switch cause he has kids and the time slot allows him to see his kids before work and when they get off school.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He was better paired up with walker but since sat shah did canucks post game it made more sense for him to do the afternoon show. And Rintoul probably didn’t mind the switch cause he has kids and the time slot allows him to see his kids before work and when they get off school.

They decided to shake things up which is fair. Presumably, Walker and Rintoul would be the two highest paid hosts so it makes sense to split them up to carry the show. But Rintoul doesn't need to have his own show. He could have a partner to banter with.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
did someone just say walker was the beat host on 650? yikes

Who do you think is the best then? I don't like Walker personally since I think he's a fake Vancouver and Canucks fan but if he was from Vancouver and a Canucks fan there's no question he's the best radio host on 650 IMO.

Gotta think that's why they've been getting beat so handily by 1040 in the ratings since their inception.

I agree. To me, Walker is the stereotypical sports radio host. He's not intellectual sounding and spewing words out like Shah and he doesn't have much dead air as Rintoul. Walker is very comfortable to listen to if you like him which is sports talk radio is all about. If you generally like the guy you should be able to listen to him for hours and not really notice anything jarring. 1040 does a much better job in that department. Halford and Brough, Sekeres and Price, and Taylor and Moj (if you like those guys) can be listened to for hours. With Shah I notice his words per minute and you feel he wants to have a serious intellectual discussion with you. With Rintoul, he rants but I notice the silence and he doesn't have a good radio voice.

IMO, most people listening to sports talk radio isn't interested in having the host's viewpoint forced through their ears. They want to hear an interesting point of discussion and be entertained. That's why Howard Stern (who is not a sports talk radio host) became so popular. If they are going to listen to a host rant they better be able to captivate the audience like a Stephen A or Jim Rome otherwise it's boring.

Reactions: rypper

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I think the problem with Walker is that is just saying whatever he feels is the most controversial. It doesnt mean he believes all the BS he is saying, he is just trolling to get attention so its tough for me to take him seriously.

Reactions: The Drop

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thomas Drance - sounds really good
Can’t stand Sekeras. Listen to 1040 until he comes on. Now he’s on a two week holiday I’m enjoying Blake Price and the replacement guy. Sekeras and Walker are both irritating.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can’t stand Sekeras. Listen to 1040 until he comes on. Now he’s on a two week holiday I’m enjoying Blake Price and the replacement guy. Sekeras and Walker are both irritating.
Sekeras doesn’t have the voice for radio. Don’t like them as sports hosts but Bro Jake and Pratt have a radio voice.

Of all SN guys I think Walker has the best radio voice to listen to. Don’t think that highly of the others.
For 1040, never a fan of the H&B. They come off Too frat boy for me.
Donnie and Moj get off track too much.
Price probably their best guy while Sekeras, just can’t stand the voice.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Sekeras doesn’t have the voice for radio. Don’t like them as sports hosts but Bro Jake and Pratt have a radio voice.

Of all SN guys I think Walker has the best radio voice to listen to. Don’t think that highly of the others.
For 1040, never a fan of the H&B. They come off Too frat boy for me.
Donnie and Moj get off track too much.
Price probably their best guy while Sekeras, just can’t stand the voice.

I like Sekeres but while you say he doesn't have a voice for radio, he definitely doesn't have a face for TV. Not too many options left for the poor guy lol.

Reactions: David71 and Huggy43

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Sportsnet borders on unlistenable. Their entire presentation just feels so cheap and amateur. The sound quality is that of a group of friends doing a podcast on a iPhone.

Walker is abysmal. Agree with him just being a contrarian to get attention because his knowledge of sports is complete trash.

would they even still be in business if they didn’t have the Canucks rights?

Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think the problem with Walker is that is just saying whatever he feels is the most controversial. It doesnt mean he believes all the BS he is saying, he is just trolling to get attention so its tough for me to take him seriously.

That's one style of radio hosting though. Dave Pratt did this shtick for years. You're creating discussion by offering, but not exactly believing, a "contrarian" view. That is pretty tried and true especially when partnered with a host who tends to take on what you might perceive as more of a mainstream view and more opinionated. Some people like it as it's not my way or the highway like a Dan Russell.

Practically speaking, Walker might actually not be presenting a contrarian or controversial view. His surprising pro-Benning and Canucks views may actually reflect the "mainstream." For example, both 1040 and 650 did a poll asking for fan sentiment at the time of Benning's extension and both polls favoured Benning however slightly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In terms of ratings, Sportsnet 650 should have taken page out of the old CISL 650 playbook. Go back to playing 'golden oldies' during the day, and bring on their best open-mike sportscasters for the evening hours. I'm assuming they inherited all of CISL's music tapes when Rogers bought the station.

I'll bet that during this pandemic, their ratings might actually have improved.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Earlier in this thread we were talking about stations cutting costs during this pandemic which makes sense. I think a significant chunk of listeners only listen on their drive to and from work. Plus nothing is happening right now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In terms of ratings, Sportsnet 650 should have taken page out of the old CISL 650 playbook. Go back to playing 'golden oldies' during the day, and bring on their best open-mike sportscasters for the evening hours. I'm assuming they inherited all of CISL's music tapes when Rogers bought the station.

The ratings came out, and got even worse. Both stations did poorly, but 650 basically lost almost all their listeners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad