OT: Vancouver realtor facing criminal charges and life time ban from beer league for kicking an opponent on the face with his skates

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
Should have charges pressed against him that’s assault. Don’t mind if things get a little rough and tumble that crosses every line there is

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
LOoks the kicker got his ass kicked in a fight, and got pinned. Then as other guys got involved pulling the winner of the fight off that’s when the Realtor kicked out. It’s very much like a guy who got embarrassed and then lost it. Kick that loser out for good, and suspend both teams (and any players n those teams) for one season. The rules in rec hockey seem archaic if there’s actually guys fighting. Especially in a non contact league.

Feb 19, 2018
Totally agree. I switched to a cage years ago. It is totally true you can't see as well. I do find my vision, and teeth more important though then being slightly better at a rec sport...
Wasn’t his helmet on the ice regardless? I think it got ripped off by the scumbag

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Its not just about being hit in the face with a punch. Pucks being tipped, or sticks flying around. Its honestly just not worth the trouble.
Personally I find it quite safe, if it's proper non-contact hockey. I'm much more likely to hurt myself playing casual co-ed soccer than men's league hockey, as you're in full protective equipment and skating is much easier on the body than running up and down a field.

Really worth repeating though that 30+ divs are where it's at. It's never a guarantee but you lose the majority of the hotheads when you make that jump.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Personally I find it quite safe, if it's proper non-contact hockey. I'm much more likely to hurt myself playing casual co-ed soccer than men's league hockey, as you're in full protective equipment and skating is much easier on the body than running up and down a field.

Really worth repeating though that 30+ divs are where it's at. It's never a guarantee but you lose the majority of the hotheads when you make that jump.

Like I said earlier I find the lower the level of the hockey, general the worse it gets.

Some of the most dangerous stuff (not hot heads) happened in a co-ed league. Where people are just not in as much control, or they just react. Once a teammate lost a bunch of teeth when a puck that was knocked into the air some guy just swung his stick at wildly, clocked my teammate in the mouth and he lost a bunch of teeth.

I mean he was an oiler fan so totally had it coming... :sarcasm:

Reactions: m9

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Like I said earlier I find the lower the level of the hockey, general the worse it gets.

Some of the most dangerous stuff (not hot heads) happened in a co-ed league. Where people are just not in as much control, or they just react. Once a teammate lost a bunch of teeth when a puck that was knocked into the air some guy just swung his stick at wildly, clocked my teammate in the mouth and he lost a bunch of teeth.

Some of the biggest slashes I ever got in my life came in a co ed league. You’d think the testosterone and estrogen would balance everyone out a bit, but not really.

Reactions: racerjoe

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I have the impression that regulation over realtors is pretty lax. That realtor that forged a signature got a 3 month suspension.

Forge a signature 3 months, drink some milk suspended indefinitely. What a world.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
42 PIM's in 5 games in what looks like a very low level gents league... just ridiculous.

The kickout was particularly unnecessary as the player was already off him..It does appear to strike to armpit area.
If someone had me pinned to the ice and continued to wail away on me.. i would use any method possible to get that person off me.. if it meant driving a skate under their chin i would do that in a second.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah.

I lived in NZ for several years and got back into playing hockey when I was there - probably to stay connected to my Canadian-ness - and it was awesome. Played on a non-contact, co-ed team where we'd rent a 14-person bus and go to weekend tournaments in various cities around the South Island and it was such a positive experience. Really nice people, great fun. Things would occasionally get mildly heated but mostly everything was good-natured and no fighting or goon crap. Often have beers with the other teams after the game plus being a passenger in a car and drinking over there is legal so we'd get smashed and have a blast on the drive home. A couple of the girls on our team played for the NZ women's national team and were actually pretty decent players. It was a super supportive environment with people who really liked hockey and were there to have fun and get better. I loved every minute of it and losing it was one of my biggest regrets when I left.

Move back to Canada and try to keep playing here and it's like WTF. Teams full of douchebag cokeheads living their personal rock'em sock'em video. 40 year olds acting like high-school bullies. I ended up quitting after a guy on my team trashed our dressing room after a fight and then we had to restrain him from going and attacking the other guy in the parking lot after. Not fun.

I took a slapshot to the throat when I was about 14 playing minor hockey and even though I was wearing a neck guard it was absolutely terrifying. Plus the Clint Malarchuk thing from when I was a kid still haunts my dreams. I'd never ever play without one.
In college I took a slap shot from the dot through a screen by a guy who had one of the hardest shots I have ever faced before or after the incident. It hit me directly in the adam's apple. Terrifying isn't the word. I was wearing a turkey beard throat protector on my mask, but apparently moving my head around rapidly trying to see I must have lifted my head too high to look over and around bodies in front and the puck slipped cleanly through the little window I created and WHAP!

Spoke in a whisper for about a month. Almost stopped believing the doc that kept telling me all of the tests pointed to a SIMPLE massive trauma to EVERYTHING in my throat. He said you'll LIKELY get your voice back when it subsides. He told the truth, but each day I was still whispering and living on liquids and soft foods because I couldn't swallow anything else made me more and more scared he just might be wrong. That was one of the scariest times of my life.

As to rec league punishment for outlawed idiotics, much too frequently as the idiots just couldn't help themselves, the league I played in dropped the hammer fast and handed out lifetime bans on regular basis. In 2 seasons we lost our team captain for spitting in the head ref's face over an offsides call. The other guy 2-handed a ref across the back of his knees for calling him for slashing. "You wanna see a slash?" Whap. Down goes the ref and the idiot hovering over him yelled, "Now that's a slash!" The ref had to be stretchered off. Out for the season. The player was not only handed the lifetime ban, but was arrested for assault. The ref must have been out of his mind when he decided not to press charges.

Shit like that was common about 3 or 4 times a month in an 8-team league. Yeah the "We all have to work on Monday!" was the motto for a non checking, no slapshot, "old timers league" (over 30). Didn't seem to hold any water when the anger surfaced with some guys. One of the craziest was a guy who had played with the Maple Leafs just backed off a scrum and in lightning fashion crossed check the guy he was yapping with right in the mouth. He simply went to the bench, picked up his extra stick and a water bottle, skated off the ice and never returned. Tried to make better with the guy in the community, felt like a fool, but had no viable explanation for why he did it.

You'd think an ex-NHL player wouldn't give 2 tinkers whether or not he won or lost a Sunday night old timer's league game. Most of the ex-pros in the league barely broke a sweat. They were out for a little exercise, toy around with the game they loved at a very reduced level from their past good old days, yuk it it up with the guys, and have a few pops at the local pub down the street from the arena.

It's a pity that these games are the Stanley Cup Playoffs for so many of these guys. It's the highest up the ladder they will ever go and they think they have to put it all on the line for a chance to drink from the league's cheap metal chalice at the bar that sponsors them. No names on the cup, just a little tab that lists the team's name and the year it was won.

I'm way too old for even that now.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
42 PIM's in 5 games in what looks like a very low level gents league... just ridiculous.

The kickout was particularly unnecessary as the player was already off him..It does appear to strike to armpit area.
If someone had me pinned to the ice and continued to wail away on me.. i would use any method possible to get that person off me.. if it meant driving a skate under their chin i would do that in a second.
It’s basically tickle fight rules at that point. Limbs are flying

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One of my Dad’s favorite joking-but-not-really-joking stories comes from just before I was born and my family had moved to Whitehorse (where I would eventually arrive). He was invited to join a “local gentlemens’ hockey league”. Eager to make some friends, he obliged, brought his gear and played.

“The puck hadn’t even dropped for the first game and half the players were in the penalty box,” is how my Dad always finished that story.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
This is what I thought of when I saw this.

BSYfSKJIUAAnqgk

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah that's why you wear a cage!

But I think to be more specific just comparing hockey & soccer as that's what I play hockey has the minuscule but real odds for more of a catastrophic injury but soccer even at a casual coed with no slide tackling level is harder on you with general wear & tear. As long as you don't get hit in the face with a puck or cross checked head first into the boards or something, I find non-contact hockey a relatively easy sport to play as you age.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah that's why you wear a cage!

But I think to be more specific just comparing hockey & soccer as that's what I play hockey has the minuscule but real odds for more of a catastrophic injury but soccer even at a casual coed with no slide tackling level is harder on you with general wear & tear. As long as you don't get hit in the face with a puck or cross checked head first into the boards or something, I find non-contact hockey a relatively easy sport to play as you age.

Soccer seems like it would lend itself more to soft tissue damage at a higher rate. Hockey as you said, if you get injured it's probably a huge deal. I went down to block a passing lane with my legs earlier this year and I guess I dropped too fast because I dislocated my god damn kneecap. Heard a pop and everything. 10/10 discomfort on a play I've done hundreds of times before. But you know, that's why I don't like to play defense lol.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe this is the kind of incident that results in the sort of reckoning hockey culture needs. By that I mean it's (unfortunately) easy to minimize the sexual assualts by NHL-bound teenagers as isolated incidents. But it's pretty hard to ignore just how ingrained toxic masculinity is in hockey culture when some beer-league nobody does something like this.

I'm curious to know what happens to this guy's real estate business as a result of this. I sure as hell wouldn't want him as my agent.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Maybe this is the kind of incident that results in the sort of reckoning hockey culture needs. By that I mean it's (unfortunately) easy to minimize the sexual assualts by NHL-bound teenagers as isolated incidents. But it's pretty hard to ignore just how ingrained toxic masculinity is in hockey culture when some beer-league nobody does something like this.

I'm curious to know what happens to this guy's real estate business as a result of this. I sure as hell wouldn't want him as my agent.
As someone who started playing ice hockey as an adult and been at it coming up 15 years I think this is like a completely different thing. When they say "hockey culture" I'd say you're looking at organized competitive hockey that starts with youth and build a system that pushes the best into a professional career.

As with anything you can get some idiots and most players will come from that system but this your career is over and it's just beer league hockey, same sport but a completely separate entity. Get some players together who've been around long enough and you can get some terrible stories but for like 99% of the games it's just a bunch of dudes and the occasional lady slowly chasing a puck around for 40 minutes. Though to be fair, I suppose playing somewhere like freakin Whitehorse is going to be different than the city. Also when a 50+ team occasionally got sent down to my div they were the dirties teams we'd play, though not in a dangerous rage issue way but more of a classic Gordie Howe hockey way.

I'd say you can't really "end" this stuff in beer league but in my opinion a good way to curtail is to put up cameras and when shit like this happens get the cops involved. Unlike a professional hockey player when you play your league dues maybe an errant puck or stuck could knock some teeth out if you're only wearing a visor but you're not signing up with the assumption of direct bodily harm. Treat it the same way you would if this happened out on the street.

Finally to throw out a classic from one of my '1%' games, earlier on in my career playing up in North Van we had this one kid show up for a game with us that start with him bragging in the dressing room how he played junior hockey and started trying to organize the bench and ended after the final whistle with him tearing off his jersey to show the refs the 'wounds' he received from all their missed calls. Yeah we didn't invite him back :laugh:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

He will be fine. His dad has lots of $. Kid is a punk: take your f***ing cage off if you want to be a tough guy

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
As someone who started playing ice hockey as an adult and been at it coming up 15 years I think this is like a completely different thing. When they say "hockey culture" I'd say you're looking at organized competitive hockey that starts with youth and build a system that pushes the best into a professional career.

As with anything you can get some idiots and most players will come from that system but this your career is over and it's just beer league hockey, same sport but a completely separate entity. Get some players together who've been around long enough and you can get some terrible stories but for like 99% of the games it's just a bunch of dudes and the occasional lady slowly chasing a puck around for 40 minutes. Though to be fair, I suppose playing somewhere like freakin Whitehorse is going to be different than the city. Also when a 50+ team occasionally got sent down to my div they were the dirties teams we'd play, though not in a dangerous rage issue way but more of a classic Gordie Howe hockey way.

I'd say you can't really "end" this stuff in beer league but in my opinion a good way to curtail is to put up cameras and when shit like this happens get the cops involved. Unlike a professional hockey player when you play your league dues maybe an errant puck or stuck could knock some teeth out if you're only wearing a visor but you're not signing up with the assumption of direct bodily harm. Treat it the same way you would if this happened out on the street.

Finally to throw out a classic from one of my '1%' games, earlier on in my career playing up in North Van we had this one kid show up for a game with us that start with him bragging in the dressing room how he played junior hockey and started trying to organize the bench and ended after the final whistle with him tearing off his jersey to show the refs the 'wounds' he received from all their missed calls. Yeah we didn't invite him back :laugh:

I'm not really sure how your post counters the notion there's a problem with hockey culture, even at the level of adult rec leagues.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
This is definitely the news story I want to read when contemplating joining a beer league after 20 years of not playing hockey... f***ing cavemen I swear.

Reactions: lawrence

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This is definitely the news story I want to read when contemplating joining a beer league after 20 years of not playing hockey... f***ing cavemen I swear.

We really, really need to stop making excuses for this sort of behaviour. It's not suddenly okay to act like a violent asshole just because you're playing hockey.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
We really, really need to stop making excuses for this sort of behaviour. It's not suddenly okay to act like a violent asshole just because you're playing hockey.

Fights in rec league hockey should be taken every bit as serious as a fight anywhere else in public. It's already dying down in the NHL where skill is taking over and the guys who can't skate or play even bottom line minutes are being phased out. I don't see why assaulting another person during a rec league game doesn't carry the same consequences as it would at a bar... or anywhere else for that matter.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

While I agree by and large that a lot of people playing beer league / recreational hockey aren’t all that bad, every league I’ve played in has had its share of whack jobs.

Some of the stories here have reminded me of one of my silliest experiences. Nobody was dirty - it was just gobsmacking to me.

I was in my early 20s living in Vancouver. I had only just gotten into recreational hockey in adult leagues and I was really enjoying it, so I was looking to play a bit more. Some Division 7 team in the Duffers Hockey League in North Vancouver was looking for players, and it was cheap, so I agreed to come on out and play. I’m by no means some amazing hockey player, but I could have filled the net in this league. (Which says more about the league than it does me)

Anyway - to my amazement, this team had a “top line”, and they gave this line “the top line treatment”. You’d just stepped on the ice and the other teams’ perceived “weakest players stepped on”? You got called back to the bench so the top line could go out. You’re five seconds into a shift and the other team takes a penalty? You’re back to the bench so the top line can be out there for the whole power play.

There was guys on this team who were new to the game, just trying to put a skate in front of the other and have fun, and they paid the same amount as these idiots, and they were perfectly content getting their minuscule share of ice time because they just assumed this was how hockey worked.

I made it about 3 or 4 games with this group before telling their captain / team organizer / beer fund administrator that this wasn’t for me. I gave him the feedback that they aren’t playing for the Stanley Cup, and that if everyone’s paying the same money, they should see the same ice. He just looked at me blankly and said “but we won’t win as many games that way”.

Thinking about the whole experience still makes me shake my head.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
While I agree by and large that a lot of people playing beer league / recreational hockey aren’t all that bad, every league I’ve played in has had its share of whack jobs.

Some of the stories here have reminded me of one of my silliest experiences. Nobody was dirty - it was just gobsmacking to me.

I was in my early 20s living in Vancouver. I had only just gotten into recreational hockey in adult leagues and I was really enjoying it, so I was looking to play a bit more. Some Division 7 team in the Duffers Hockey League in North Vancouver was looking for players, and it was cheap, so I agreed to come on out and play. I’m by no means some amazing hockey player, but I could have filled the net in this league. (Which says more about the league than it does me)

Anyway - to my amazement, this team had a “top line”, and they gave this line “the top line treatment”. You’d just stepped on the ice and the other teams’ perceived “weakest players stepped on”? You got called back to the bench so the top line could go out. You’re five seconds into a shift and the other team takes a penalty? You’re back to the bench so the top line can be out there for the whole power play.

There was guys on this team who were new to the game, just trying to put a skate in front of the other and have fun, and they paid the same amount as these idiots, and they were perfectly content getting their minuscule share of ice time because they just assumed this was how hockey worked.

I made it about 3 or 4 games with this group before telling their captain / team organizer / beer fund administrator that this wasn’t for me. I gave him the feedback that they aren’t playing for the Stanley Cup, and that if everyone’s paying the same money, they should see the same ice. He just looked at me blankly and said “but we won’t win as many games that way”.

Thinking about the whole experience still makes me shake my head.

It sounds like Ultimate is a way better sport to play as an adult than hockey.

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad