OT: Vancouver realtor facing criminal charges and life time ban from beer league for kicking an opponent on the face with his skates

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
The news has even made it to TMZ in the states!

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That shit was terrifying to watch, but not surprising. If you ever play or attend beer league games, these dudes have genuine anger problems. A lot of the time, it seems to be fueled by substances prior to playing.. but it's definitely not exclusive to that and seems to be a cultural problem as well.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Where is it mentioned they’re a realtor? I may have missed it. Twitter comments?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That shit was terrifying to watch, but not surprising. If you ever play or attend beer league games, these dudes have genuine anger problems. A lot of the time, it seems to be fueled by substances prior to playing.. but it's definitely not exclusive to that and seems to be a cultural problem as well.

The anger issues on display in beer league hockey, even at the lower tier levels, is pretty astounding.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Where is it mentioned they’re a realtor? I may have missed it. Twitter comments?

I think some people made the connection from the scoresheet to his name as a realtor.

The PIMs to games played ratio certainly paints the picture of a hot headed fellow.

Scary stuff. Should be a good for a lifetime ban from ASHL hockey.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

This very thing happened in the game before ky first in an adult ball hockey league in Surrey. Apparently that guy did get charged with assault.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

There's some absolute lunatics in every adult recreational sport I've ever played, doesn't matter what the game is or how relaxed it's supposed to be. Hockey, basketball, softball, pickleball, doesn't matter. Sports just bring out the absolute worst in some people. Add in alcohol (and/or other substances) and it's a powder keg.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
obviously not good… but man no one at all is attending to the player that took a blade to the face.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Omg, this guy is on a lot of bus benches. I recognized the name instantly, mainly because one of the lastnames runs in my family.

Stupid, stupid decision. His skate comes high several times.
Who is it? Maybe my skimming missed the guy's name?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This was being talked about a lot in my teams WhatsApp group. Anger issues like this is one of the reasons we tried to go to the over 30 div this year.

I have played a lot of rec hockey. I find in general, for some reason the lower level you play has the more hot heads with anger issues. It’s become cliche, but we always say we have to work tomorrow…

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
1. Beer league games would be like Thunderdome without the presence of referees and linesmen. Violence and intimidation are huge parts of the fantasy amateur men's league players are trying to live out, especially since they're not rich like pro athletes, probably lead more constrained and frustrating lives, and have seen violence ordained and celebrated in hockey rinks their whole lives. And enough of it exists in beer leagues without attracting much notice that they can permit themselves to be fooled. A little rabbit punch after a slash is pretty much allowed.

2. Regardless, this guy is crazy and I've never seen anything like this in a beer league game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
1. Beer league games would be like Thunderdome without the presence of referees and linesmen. Violence and intimidation are huge parts of the fantasy amateur men's league players are trying to live out, especially since they're not rich like pro athletes, probably lead more constrained and frustrating lives, and have seen violence ordained and celebrated in hockey rinks their whole lives. And enough of it exists in beer leagues without attracting much notice that they can permit themselves to be fooled. A little rabbit punch after a slash is pretty much allowed.

2. Regardless, this guy is crazy and I've never seen anything like this in a beer league game.

Two instances still come to mind after all these years which turns me off beer league with randoms.

1) This one guy who completely sucked came to the bench and pretty much told us all he was going to headshot a player and then give him a "reciept slash" for a minor stick tap to the ass.

2) Another game we were playing was a lobsided affair. We pretty much stopped the game after players on their team started taking cheapshots. Pretty sure some guys on our team also did lines before the game.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
The news has even made it to TMZ in the states!

Man this looks bad from so many angles the kick, the fact that nobody even checks on him. Yeah, let's go punch the other guy or stand by and watch. The fact that people feel the need to punch someone when they have them pinned to the ice. Why even play hockey why not just go punch each other out? Let's stop the charade.

Also, I don't know if it's just me but I don't feel bad for the guy yes the act was reprehensible and should be severely punished but you were still punching someone when they were pinned against the ice.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I get the urge to feed that human shaped piece of garbage his own bones, but I've got to agree with people worrying that no one seems worried about the prone, motionless guy that just took a skate kick to a vital area.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ye, there was this one team in our league who nearly every team had a problem with, supposed to be non-contact, threw blatant hits, one guy boarded me with my helmet damn near already at the glass, constant scrums, just goons. Talked with a guy on another team, apparently they are a bunch of cokeheads.

It's kind of sad if I had any sympathy for those kind of people who go to rec league and pretend they are in the show or just take out all their anger in life at the rink. It makes me almost not want to engage, but I'm not the biggest guy and you've got to defend yourself otherwise they'll take a mile from an inch.

What this idiot deserves is a lifetime ban from leagues and honestly probation/anger management classes. If he was my teammate I would tear a strip off his ass.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wear a cage in low level hockey. Too many idiots out there

It's wild how many guys will chirp you for wearing a cage considering the lifelong damage and high financial cost a facial injury can cause you.

Yeah it sure would be sweet and tough of me to lose half of my teeth because some guy with a crazy curve who doesn't know how to shoot roofs it into my mouth. Real badge of honour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad